Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2" BL: TJM to Body space filler solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2" BL: TJM to Body space filler solution

I recently upgraded from a 1" body lift to a 2" body lift and I hated the larger gap created between the TJM bumper and the body.
One solution was to modify the bumper brackets and raise the bumper, but I didn't want to comprise the strength of the TJM. Another was to fab up some sheet metal but that is way more work than I needed to get into. So, here's what I came up with and it cost me less than $6 in parts at home depot.
I bought two items. An 8 ft length of plastic/composite lattice trim and a bag of self tapping sheet metal screws #8 x 5/8"
Here is a picture of the end of a practice piece of lattice trim. I originally wanted to combine it with the piece of 1/4 round composite trim and mount it to the bumper but I experimented and found the 1/4 round to be too brittle and unflexible.

My next experiment was to try cutting off one of the "legs" of the lattice trim and make it go from being a U shape to an L shape. I did this with a small cut off wheel on a dremel and it worked out great. This made it a good option for mounting it to the body. Then I cut some relief slots to allow it to bend more easily at the corners of the truck and match the curve of the body. Before attempting to mount it to the body, I lightly sanded it and spray painted it black.

Notice, I did not have to remove the bumper to do this but I did have to remove the side pieces so that I could drill into the bottom edge of the fenders.
Here's a picture from underneath looking up. I used 3 self-tapping sheet metal scews on each fender and two under each headlight to fasten to that small strip of sheet metal. I also attached it to the bottom center of the grill with a zip tie. This wasn't necessary but I did it anyways. I had to remove the grill to drill a hole for the zip tie. Even though I've taken the grill out three times in the past, it's still a bitch. There is always one stubborn clip.

Here is a picture from the side.

And here is the final product. I'll have to get more pictures during the daytime.

The trim is 1 1/8" in height the way I mounted it, so I adjusted the bumper a hair on one side (it was crooked from the last wheeling trip) to get the body/bumper gap to be right around 1/2".

I did this project without knowing what to expect since I was pretty much winging it. Was it worth it? If your anal like me and hate an obvious looking body lift, then yes. For $6 and a couple of hours it wasn't bad.

Last edited by TStango; 11-04-2004 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

I think its 200% better. I l,ike you, can't stand the gap and 2" BL makes with those bumpers. Great job!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:08 PM

That's an awesome cheap trick! Looks fantastic and if it gets dinged up wheeling, you can easily fix/replace it. I'm going to have to do this when I get my new front bumper.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member

thanks!
Old 11-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good Idea
Old 11-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Looks good. I'll be doing the same soon.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

awesome! My 2" RB BL gets here tomorrow, what perfect timing. My truck is white so it won't look quite as good, but it will be better than nothing.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
awesome! My 2" RB BL gets here tomorrow, what perfect timing. My truck is white so it won't look quite as good, but it will be better than nothing.
I was going to eventually paint it to match the truck since I already have the paint from when I did my grill. But now that it's on, I think it looks fine black. Besides, I'm always touching up the TJM and sliders with black spray paint, so it's just easier this way. I think it'll look fine on your truck. Just remember to sand it good because there is a simulated wood grain texture on it - unless you like knot holes on your rig,
Old 11-04-2004, 09:24 AM

Could you post a pic from the side of your ride? I want to see how the whole thing looks with the body lift, the TJM, and those rims. Are those pro comp rims?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GreenRunner
Could you post a pic from the side of your ride? I want to see how the whole thing looks with the body lift, the TJM, and those rims. Are those pro comp rims?
Sure. I just picked up a digital camera two days ago, so I'll snap some pics.
You might have to wait until tomorrow though. It will be dark by the time I get home tonight. Yes, those are Pro comp rims.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

yea, he copied my rim choice.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
yea, he copied my rim choice.
Yea I did.
Although I do remember you wanted to trade me for my black steelies at one point.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

and that was when I was in Houston. man that would have been a haul, now Austin (turboale) wants to trade me his blacks for my wheels but I can't decide whether to or not. I've heard some stories about those steelies so I am not certain I want to anymore. may just have these powder coated during my next set or tires.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
and that was when I was in Houston. man that would have been a haul, now Austin (turboale) wants to trade me his blacks for my wheels but I can't decide whether to or not. I've heard some stories about those steelies so I am not certain I want to anymore. may just have these powder coated during my next set or tires.
Aluminum alloy is the way to go. I ditched my steelies because they made the truck ride like shiat. Too damn heavy. Black does look bad ass though.

Here are more pictures. I threw in some extras for GreenRunner.

Last edited by TStango; 11-05-2004 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:13 PM

Talking

Thanks! Much appreciated.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Man it would be nice if you could move the trailor hitch up 2" It would make your departure angle alot better.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dbikeman
Man it would be nice if you could move the trailor hitch up 2" It would make your departure angle alot better.
Yea, my departure angle sucks. I plan on taking that hitch off and getting one fabbed up so it's close to the bumper. I would like to fit a larger spare underneath.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

TStango,
do you happen to have any pics of the inside, after the BL ? i was thinking about getting one, but wondering about the sifters,
Ric
Old 11-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good! I got a set of those same back-up lights to put inmy custom rear bumper, how well do they work?
Thanks
Old 11-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RicNkc
TStango,
do you happen to have any pics of the inside, after the BL ? i was thinking about getting one, but wondering about the sifters,
Ric
I don't know what he did but this is what I did, I fabbed up two screw-on extensions: I made them a little too long though, about 1 inch too long.

Quick Reply: 2" BL: TJM to Body space filler solution