Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2.7L Exhaust/Header/Cat/Test Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7L Exhaust/Header/Cat/Test Pipe

I will be purchasing a new LC header for my 2.7L Toyota 4runner in the upcoming week but am running into the problem of having my head pipe connecting directly to the front of the cat. Being that its a royal pain in the a$$ to saw it off and weld a flange on the front, I'm looking at the alternative of just replacing it (the cat).

I rather not pay the 160 bucks for a new free-flow from LC and am looking at maybe just picking up a tacoma cat instead, I'm guessing the application is virtually the same if I get a cat for a regular cab, short bed taco? Anybody know?

Also, LC has whats called a "test pipe", and from the looks of it its just a bypass of the cat all together. I'm not in Cali, or anywhere that does emission inspections so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these....

Something is wrong with LC's online catalog but I'll post up links to the products tomorrow assuming its fixed!

Thanks guys!!!

Kyle
Old 10-08-2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Skrillah
Also, LC has whats called a "test pipe", and from the looks of it its just a bypass of the cat all together. I'm not in Cali, or anywhere that does emission inspections so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these....
You are correct with regard to the test pipe - all it is a straight piece of pipe that fits where the cat would usually go. In order for your test pipe to not throw a Check Engine Light, you need to be sure to install a "mechanical CEL fix" or "mechanical o2 fix." So long as you are not throwing any codes, you will free up a bit of horsepower and have a save a few pounds! By ridding yourself of the cat.

-Will
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
after the header put a magnaflow or carsound cat for like $60 bucks and that should work just ditch the stock manifold and cat

Last edited by Elton; 10-08-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by DC_native
You are correct with regard to the test pipe - all it is a straight piece of pipe that fits where the cat would usually go. In order for your test pipe to not throw a Check Engine Light, you need to be sure to install a "mechanical CEL fix" or "mechanical o2 fix." So long as you are not throwing any codes, you will free up a bit of horsepower and have a save a few pounds! By ridding yourself of the cat.

-Will
By installing one of these code fixes, are you talking about installing an actually physical piece of hardware or revamping the computer using some sort of code reader? Not real familiar with this sort of stuff, so I apologize for my ignorance.

They say that "test pipe" is not street legal but I'm guessing it should be fine given I have no emissions checks, besides I could just use this to buy me some time so I could get an actually flange welded to my old cat...

Originally Posted by Elton
after the header put a magnaflow or carsound cat for like $60 bucks and that should work just ditch the stock manifold and cat
A carsound cat?....

Again, wouldn't you think a tacoma cat would work the same? It seems to be hard to find a stand alone cat (w/flange) for 4runners with the 2.7L since the head pipe and cat are all one piece. I guess ppl think why the hell would you ever accessorize a 2.7L 4cyl....!! .....haha...I do