Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st Gen Taco tranny noise and Clutch advise

Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen Taco tranny noise and Clutch advise

New member here but I've been familiar with the site for a couple years now. Figured it was time to finally sign up.

Now the part where I start mooching advise.

I've got a 96 Tacoma with a manual tranny in it. 125 K on everything, no wrecks or abuse to speak of (previous owner took immaculate care of it, I bought it at 98K.) Ever since I bought it its had a slight chirping noise in the tranny, especially in third gear. As soon as you push the clutch pedal in about half an inch the noise stops. Recently it became more noticeable as well as being there in neutral which it wasn't before. I'd like to get it fixed both to ease my annoyance and to prevent it from messing anything else up.

I'm assuming its a bad throw out bearing (or release bearing as Toyota calls em.) If anyone has experience with this issue maybe they can confirm that but its the only thing that makes sense. My questions:

1. If the bearing is bad could that have worn the pilot shaft to the point where I need to replace this as well? I know on the newer trannies its pressed into the housing somehow but I believe its replaceable on mine.

2. I'd like to replace the clutch as well while I'm in there. I know Addicted Offroad sells Aisin/ Seco OEM replacement clutch kits for around 200 bucks. I also heard mentioned elsewhere on the site upgrading to a heavier duty clutch. Anyone have input or recommendations there?

3. Couple months ago I was under and noticed the slave cylinder never quite releases pressure all the way. Is this normal on these? I would think that would keep the clutch from engaging entirely and eventually cause wear (though I haven't noticed it slipping.) Should I mess with that at all?

4. The clutch burns easily. Way too easily in my opinion. Don't know if theres a question there but I feel like its relevant info to throw out.

Thanks in advance.
Sheepdog
Old 07-21-2013, 09:36 PM

It sure sounds like you've diagnosed it correctly. You should be able to get a new throw out bearing from the dealer or a tranny shop. A hd clutch is great for crawling or hauling cause it grabs better.

I don't know about your slave. I would have to see a picture
Old 07-22-2013, 07:32 PM

Here's the best picture of the slave cylinder that I was able to get. You can see its mounted by those two bolts on top of the bracket but there is no way to adjust it forward or back. Right now its light enough pressure that I can press the fork bracket back by hand, but regardless how little, there is constant pressure on that fork.

Name:  DSCN1495_zps0811ee54.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  86.3 KB

As far as the HD clutches, anyone have experiences with ceramic clutches? I noticed Addicted offroad sells those as an upgrade from the oem ones.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Toyota rebuilt the transmission in my 97 taco twice at 20k miles due to a noise I thought was throw out bearing. Got it back after 3 loaner cars and 42 days. Still had that same noise.

I would replace the clutch, t/o bearing and do a new slave cylinder. 125k is pretty good.. Have you bleed the slave cylinder? The thing looks the same as the one on my 81.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Yeah I'd guess its the same slave as original but I'm not positive of that. The previous owner basically took it to the dealer and said "fix whatever needs fixin" every couple of months so unless their voodoo magic book told 'em to change something out I doubt they did.

More to the point, no I haven't bled it out. They're only like forty bucks so maybe I'll just swap it out during this whole process. Why would bleeding it change the amount of pressure its applying though?