Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st gen runner & 2nd gen truck chrome trim removal questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1st gen runner & 2nd gen truck chrome trim removal questions!

Hi guys, I finally got my new rear window installed after it had a run in with a board.. I bought a dark tint sliding window and a new gasket. I really like the difference it made in the way my truck looks, the stock slider looked bad, it had a dull alloy frame and was plain glass. My question is, has any one removed the hideous chrome wind shield trim and the really hideous chrome that goes up the rain gutters on their 1st gen runners or 2nd gen trucks. I don’t want to just yank it off and mess up the gasket or the paint on my rain gutters, and if the gasket has a groove in it for the chrome then I will leave it alone, but if there is a plain black gasket under there I need to know!! I like the chrome grille look, but around the wind shield, no thanks! Thanks again, Matt
Old 09-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

the trim on my old 86 runner was just glued in place. black stickie stuff in little dollops holding it on. just peeled them off one day, cleaned off the stickie stuff with varsol and that was that. as for the windshield, that trim covers the sealant holding your windshield in place. dont think youd want to go without that trim for very long. i guess you could scuff it up and paint it black and reinstall, not sure how long the paint would stick though.

lee
Old 09-29-2004, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

thats what I didnt want to hear!

Yeah I kind of thought that, I was hoping it would be like a base model with just a black rubber gasket around not a glue bead. As for the rain gutter trim, I can just pull it off? That’s cool I may do that this afternoon. I wasn’t sure if the gutters were cut differently for the trim. I may take my chrome off and have it powder coated a mat black if all else, or "accidentally" break my chipped up wind shield.... comprehensive coverage and have a regular seal put in
Old 09-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ilovemountains
Yeah I kind of thought that, I was hoping it would be like a base model with just a black rubber gasket around not a glue bead. As for the rain gutter trim, I can just pull it off? That’s cool I may do that this afternoon. I wasn’t sure if the gutters were cut differently for the trim. I may take my chrome off and have it powder coated a mat black if all else, or "accidentally" break my chipped up wind shield.... comprehensive coverage and have a regular seal put in
First gens dont have gaskets on the front windshield, Its windshield adhesive that stays tacky. The chrome around the windshield is held in place by plastic clips that are held on to the windshield channel by a small pin (thats tacked on to the body) they are also held in with the adhesive.
the chrome above the doors should just come off (its also got some type of adhesive)
Old 10-01-2004, 06:59 PM

i just took mine off,but it was a parts vechile and I wasn't to careful. But u could mask around the chrome sand it and paint it. Find a body shop supply store and ask them if they have any specialized paint to stick to chrome. U need to ask yourself how much $ u want to spend and time.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just paint the chrome trim around your windshield, thats what toyota does anyway, as for the trim around the side just pull it off chances are there will be some rust under there tho.