Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st gen 4runner 3.0L now with better preformance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st gen 4runner 3.0L now with better preformance.

I know there are tons of post about how to make the 3.0l not suck so bad. Despite what I have heard and read before I desided to give some of the old tricks a try, and they worked.

Prior to the exhaust and intake i did a tune up with plugs wires etc.

First I intalled a Cat back system. Nothing special just new, I had it custom done at the local exhaust place for $100.

I then installed the k&n intake system. Now I know people have their concerns about this, but seriously how many of you have actaully crossed rivers that deep? Do you check your oil in the engine? then you can probably keep the air filter oiled too and keep just as much dirt and dust out. In any event I have put K&N filters and intakes on all of my previous vehicles, and NEVER has one responded so well and obviously to this simple mod.

The results?
If i would have known the change would have been so much I would have took it to a track or Dyno to see exactly how much of an improvement this all was. It can be explaned as this, I can now brake the rear wheels loose from a dead stop on level ground. the low end power is improved, the power band feels fuller and the top end has more guts. The throttle responce is nice and sharp too. The intake and exhaust produce a plesent sound and do not sound like a can of bees. I have not put enough gas in to be positive will be able o tell highway this weekend, but in the city my mpg went up about 2gallons. This is all emissions leagle too. So with tune up and all else i spent $300 and I think it was money well spent.

Last edited by phorunninduke; 04-06-2004 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish you could have done the airbox mod first for comparison. I've been dying to see if there's any real difference.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did the airbox mod and i can definately notice a difference. It has a little more torque, better throttle response and gets up faster than it used to.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I did pretty much the same thing and it runs much better.

Originally Posted by phorunninduke
I know there are tons of post about how to make the 3.0l not suck so bad. Despite what I have heard and read before I desided to give some of the old tricks a try, and they worked.

Prior to the exhaust and intake i did a tune up with plugs wires etc.

First I intalled a Cat back system. Nothing special just new, I had it custom done at the local exhaust place for $100.

I then installed the k&n intake system. Now I know people have their concerns about this, but seriously how many of you have actaully crossed rivers that deep? Do you check your oil in the engine? then you can probably keep the air filter oiled too and keep just as much dirt and dust out. In any event I have put K&N filters and intakes on all of my previous vehicles, and NEVER has one responded so well and obviously to this simple mod.

The results?
If i would have known the change would have been so much I would have took it to a track or Dyno to see exactly how much of an improvement this all was. It can be explaned as this, I can now brake the rear wheels loose from a dead stop on level ground. the low end power is improved, the power band feels fuller and the top end has more guts. The throttle responce is nice and sharp too. The intake and exhaust produce a plesent sound and do not sound like a can of bees. I have not put enough gas in to be positive will be able o tell highway this weekend, but in the city my mpg went up about 2gallons. This is all emissions leagle too. So with tune up and all else i spent $300 and I think it was money well spent.