Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1nt3rc00l3r for a GENIII

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1nt3rc00l3r for a GENIII

I have never installed an IC and am wondering what type is best suited for a 97 4rnr with a GENIII S/C. Also can anyone give me pointers on installing this intercooler. I recon its goin to be a custome job all the way. Is it better to rebuild my heads of get new ones? Should i get new cams in the process?
this is the runn down:
TRD GEN III S/C
K&N COI
TRD headers
Cat back Exaust
Fuel injection kit from URD(the greates thing ever)
I obviously want to cool the air so i am lookin at an intercooler or a water injection kit and some head work if i need to.
THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!!

"WHEN YOU FALL IN THE BOTTOMLESS PIT YOU DIE OF STARVATION"
STRONGBAD(TGS)
Old 08-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr541
I have never installed an IC and am wondering what type is best suited for a 97 4rnr with a GENIII S/C. Also can anyone give me pointers on installing this intercooler. I recon its goin to be a custome job all the way. Is it better to rebuild my heads of get new ones? Should i get new cams in the process?
this is the runn down:
TRD GEN III S/C
K&N COI
TRD headers
Cat back Exaust
Fuel injection kit from URD(the greates thing ever)
I obviously want to cool the air so i am lookin at an intercooler or a water injection kit and some head work if i need to.
THANKS FOR THE TIPS!!!

"WHEN YOU FALL IN THE BOTTOMLESS PIT YOU DIE OF STARVATION"
STRONGBAD(TGS)
You can't run an intercooler with a TRD supercharger....only choice is:
1) Run the water injection kit with the TRD S/C
2) Change to a custom centrifical S/C and then you can run an intercooler
Old 08-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

I know its a roots type supercharger which replaces the stock intake manifold. It would have to a liquid intercoller so the only place that I would have to put an intercooler is between the block/heads and the supercharger itself. i have heard of guys doing this but i am not to sure about it.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:19 PM

I've seen similar things done, and the consensus is that it sucks. It isn't worth the extra money because it barely cools the air. Like MTL_4runner said, either run the water injection kit show here or do a custom supercharger.

Also, to add, I believe that you are talking about a gen 2 supercharger, to my knowledge there isn't a 3rd gen supercharger for the 3.4 V-6's
Old 08-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr541
I know its a roots type supercharger which replaces the stock intake manifold. It would have to a liquid intercoller so the only place that I would have to put an intercooler is between the block/heads and the supercharger itself. i have heard of guys doing this but i am not to sure about it.
That type of intercooler is horribly inefficient which is why all who have tried it got poor results.....it is just not a sustainable system (ie the heat can't be removed from the incomming air quickly enough to make a difference). If you are dying to have an intercooler then save up your pennies and do the custom S/C route.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oly884
I've seen similar things done, and the consensus is that it sucks. It isn't worth the extra money because it barely cools the air. Like MTL_4runner said, either run the water injection kit show here or do a custom supercharger.

Also, to add, I believe that you are talking about a gen 2 supercharger, to my knowledge there isn't a 3rd gen supercharger for the 3.4 V-6's

http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
towards the bottom you can read all about it, but i am sure this site is not new to you. this is THE AUTHORITY on things 4rnr
Old 08-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
That type of intercooler is horribly inefficient which is why all who have tried it got poor results.....it is just not a sustainable system (ie the heat can't be removed from the incomming air quickly enough to make a difference). If you are dying to have an intercooler then save up your pennies and do the custom S/C route.

dont want one at all actually, in fact i am even going to get ride of my K&N FKPI system and put the factory back on. i read gadgets entire web site and it was very informative. thanks for the info