Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1998 4Runner sr5 Lagging/Hesitation/Poor Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 4Runner sr5 Lagging/Hesitation/Poor Acceleration

Hello all, I have been an avid reader of yotatech and this is my first post. I enjoy reading up on builds and looking at the sweet rigs on here.

I have a 1998 4runner sr5 5sp. 240k miles on it. The rig has been good to me except on the fuel consumption. lol Anyway, it's now picked up an issue which I am not sure what the cause is.

At first, when I would start off from a stop like at a light, the engine would buck once or twice.... like a very noticeable jerk... and then continue accelerating normally. Acceleration at this point was great and the pulls were strong... in any gear. A couple times the CEL came on but after a couple days, it would turn off. Weird. Anyway, I thought it was a misfire on a cylinder and was preparing myself for an injector job.

Well, this issue seemed to have worked itself into what I think is a more serious issue. Now, not only do I get a buck or two from the engine during launching, but the engine now just lags and hesitates with what seems like blurbing or a ton of mini misfires resulting in poor acceleration and vibration....vibrations that ripple though the transmission and into the shift know like the vibrations of an xbox 360 controller, but a little less intense. I dont even have to apply a lot of gas and it starts misbehaving. I thought it was bad gas at first, but no. So I think it's gotta be something ignition based. Maybe it's still an injector issue. Idk... I do not want to put money into injectors to find out it's actually a coil or something in the ignition. Maybe it's not even that and it's the fuel system...
anyway, Help!
I am supplying 3 videos that may help in understanding better my issue.

By chronological order:

Also, I am a pilot/instructor. Living in the Vancouver BC area. Just moved up from Oregon. Would like to fly a little while my license convert. If anyone does that around here, I'd like to meet! cheers!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Get a code reader, or better yet, get a scan gauge or an ultra gauge and pull the codes. Problems under load are more likely ignition issues than injectors. check the wires, swap the coil packs. When you checked the plugs where any different than the others?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pull out the air flow sensor and give it a clean with crc mass air flow sensor cleaner
then check spark plugs they have to be the correct ones dual electrodes
Old 06-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For sure you need something to read and erase the codes.

Without out knowing the code you have no idea where to start.

These engines can be real finicky at times.

when was the last time you changed the plugs and put wires on

Cured a P0306 on my 3.4
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 PM

mine was making a little hiccup and it was a broken coil boot that was arching so no machine in the world will never tell if that boot was bad,incpect and clean or replace if broken or out of specs
1.inspect plug wires,both sides
2.inspect coils and plugs,plugs must be denso dual electrode,no other than that
3.inspect for vaccum leaks or broken.lose hoses
4.inspect and clean intake tube it tends to get really dirty and suck up some oil,also inspect air filter.also clean the throttle assembly
5.CLEAN THAT MAF SENSOR 90% of the 5vze are caused by that little piece
6.never ran and engine for too long with low fuel,fuel pump use gasoline to get cool and lubricated

download the fsm !!!!
did i missed something?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by runnermedic
mine was making a little hiccup and it was a broken coil boot that was arching so no machine in the world will never tell if that boot was bad,incpect and clean or replace if broken or out of specs
1.inspect plug wires,both sides
2.inspect coils and plugs,plugs must be denso dual electrode,no other than that
3.inspect for vaccum leaks or broken.lose hoses
4.inspect and clean intake tube it tends to get really dirty and suck up some oil,also inspect air filter.also clean the throttle assembly
5.CLEAN THAT MAF SENSOR 90% of the 5vze are caused by that little piece
6.never ran and engine for too long with low fuel,fuel pump use gasoline to get cool and lubricated

download the fsm !!!!
did i missed something?
Interesting... I checked the plugs about a month ago and they were fine. They are the plugs that were in the vehicle when I bought it and it didnt have this issue then. Also, the plugs are NOT dual electrode. So I will definitely remedy that. I cleaned the MAF 2 weeks ago. Didn't change anything. Air filter was changed a month ago and throttle body/intake tube is clean as well. But I have not checked the plug wires yet. thanks
Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9

when was the last time you changed the plugs and put wires on

Cured a P0306 on my 3.4
They were changed probably a couple years ago. I have not done it since I've owned it which is about 8 months now.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runnaround
They were changed probably a couple years ago. I have not done it since I've owned it which is about 8 months now.
Get those Denso dual-electrode plugs in there and Denso wires and I'd bet that'll take care of your problem. Like others have said, check the boots while you're in there.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by 98SR54RUNNER
Get those Denso dual-electrode plugs in there and Denso wires and I'd bet that'll take care of your problem. Like others have said, check the boots while you're in there.
Thanks I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:55 PM

Still haven't gotten any headway on this yet. Dealer doesn't have the plugs instock and the plugs wires are too expensive from them. Gonna get them shipped up from the states.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by runnaround
Still haven't gotten any headway on this yet. Dealer doesn't have the plugs instock and the plugs wires are too expensive from them. Gonna get them shipped up from the states.
Do you have a Napa Auto Parts in your area? It looks like there's one here:

138 3rd Ave W, Vancouver, BC V5Y 1E9, Canada

If so, I'm pretty sure you can get the plugs and wires there.

The plugs are NGK BKR5EKB-11 or 3967. The plugs on the Napa site don't have the BKR5EKB-11 part number on them, but they do have the 3967. I'd make sure they have both numbers before buying, but those appear to be the correct ones.

As for the wires, they're part N4412. It looks like Napa has them also.

This should at least save you the wait and any additional shipping costs.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Update!!
Got the plugs and wires today and installed them. The engine is much more responsive now and it runs smoothly and idles well now. It even runs better than when I bought it back in Oct 2012! So happy! Maybe I will get a little lower fuel consumption...

I ended up getting the plugs from Toyota and the wires from Lordco. My bro has an account with lordco so I was able to get the wires cheaper than Napa.

Check out the plugs. I am not sure if it was the plugs or wires or a combo of both.

Also, I earlier I said that the plugs in the truck were single electrode, but alas I was incorrect as they are in fact dual electrodes.

Links to Pics:

Spark plug1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Spark plug2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Spark plug4 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thank you all for your help and answers!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 PM

Definitely worn. The black streaks down the side of the ceramic could be from the wires arcing. A little silicone paste on the wire ends will help prevent that from happening again
Old 06-12-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by j2the-e
Definitely worn. The black streaks down the side of the ceramic could be from the wires arcing. A little silicone paste on the wire ends will help prevent that from happening again
Interesting...so thats what causes those. Is that special silicone that conducts electricity?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:27 PM

Silicone grease is dielectric grease. Does not conduct electricity. It prevents the "spark" from going places it shouldn't.