Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1998 4Runner rear door vent window

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 4Runner rear door vent window

Anybody ever replace this window yourself? This is the triangular glass in the rear doors. A neighbor decided to break mine while he was mowing his lawn.

I figure I just pull the door liner and it should drop in.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keisur
Anybody ever replace this window yourself? This is the triangular glass in the rear doors. A neighbor decided to break mine while he was mowing his lawn.

I figure I just pull the door liner and it should drop in.

Welcome back stranger! I've only done 1 of those and it was on a Chevy Lumina, but if Toyota's design is the same hopefully I can help. You will have to take the door panel off, take the nuts or rivets that holds the window regulator off, then the nuts that hold the "pinchers" that holds the glass window loose. Next you will have to take the glass out sideways then take the window strip out. Then you will be able to see the screws/rivets/nuts whatever holds the triangular peice in out then you can replace it. It's a real PITA because off all the steps involved. REMEMBER though my experience was on a GM vehicle. I hope for your sake Toyota's design is a little easier.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

preesheeate it mang! I think I can manage it, just don't want to pay the dealership prices to have it replaced, especially since it's the privacy glass version meaning $$$ just for the glass. I think I'll just get a plain grey one for $20, a new weather strip for it for another $20 and then have the glass tinted before I install it. I guess I'll pull it apart so I can see all the replacement parts I'll need, ie. rivets, etc. so I can get those while I'm waiting on the glass and weatherstrip from 1sttoyotaparts.com.

thanks again dude.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by keisur
preesheeate it mang! I think I can manage it, just don't want to pay the dealership prices to have it replaced, especially since it's the privacy glass version meaning $$$ just for the glass. I think I'll just get a plain grey one for $20, a new weather strip for it for another $20 and then have the glass tinted before I install it. I guess I'll pull it apart so I can see all the replacement parts I'll need, ie. rivets, etc. so I can get those while I'm waiting on the glass and weatherstrip from 1sttoyotaparts.com.

thanks again dude.
Keep us updated as I plan on doing my own window tintings by taking the whole glass assemblies out. The triangular window as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 PM

Was hoping for confirmation as to the method for replacing this glass... I've done sliding rear windows on pickup trucks where you lube the seal and pull it through with a rope but I don't imagine the method is the same with this one... Is the method of pulling the door panel, detaching the main glass the way to go or is there something else? Trying to save some $$ on install costs. Advise, instructions appreciated!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Ended up paying for install... the window guy just lowered the rear window and pulled back the main window seal then unscrewed a torx screw at the top of the divider between big window and little vent window (this is behind the main window seal that was peeled back). Popped the vent glass into the rubber seal from the old broken peice of glass then slid the sealed glass into the spot where it used to be before I smashed it with a hammer... reinstalled the divider and main window seal and done... Didn't remove inner door panel or take out main glass. Hope this helps somebody in the future.