YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Exclamation 1998 4runner overheating

I have a 1998 4runner V6 4wd. Last weekend, it overheated, so I replaced the thermostat and the coolant. I ran around town all week, with no issues and no over heating. Last night, trying to take a longer trip, the engine overheated, and when I pulled over, there was steam coming from underneath the passneger side in what looked like some metal tubes for the rear blower. I flushed out the radiator, and refilled it wiht coolant and let it run for about 20 minutes in the driveway. Everything seemed ok, so I went inside and coming back out, it was venting again out the side on the passneger area again. What could be causing this, and what is the fix? Is this a heater core issue and how can i test this? POR is this indicative of something like just weak lines or blocked lines that need to be replaced? thank you for any help you can give me on this matter.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
dbole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

maybe the water pump is broken? Before you start the 4Runner in the morning (or when the engine is cool) take the radiator cap off then start the engine. Look into the radiator and you should be able to see the coolant moving, if its not then I would guess it a water pump or maybe some blockage.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #3

bypass the heatercore. Youll know where it is you will see two rubber hoses about 6 inches apart. Disconnect the hoses (not at the core you may damage the ends) and connect them to eachother. Let it run if it doesnt over heat your core is bad.
6.5in infinity 6022SI rear
1in infinity Kappa 10.9T tweeter rear window
front and rear wig-wag system
front and rear LED strobe amber/clear
Front LED strobe red/blue
If you need electrical wiring diagrams for 93 runner 2.4/3.0 let me know!

still workin on it
jortiz2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jortiz2110 View Post
bypass the heatercore. Youll know where it is you will see two rubber hoses about 6 inches apart. Disconnect the hoses (not at the core you may damage the ends) and connect them to eachother. Let it run if it doesnt over heat your core is bad.
x2 use a 90 connecter the same size as the heater core tubes, t connect the hoses. to replace the core you must pull the dash apart can leave it like till you really want heat.

I used to do this on my nova in the summer to stop the heat from killing me never shut off!
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
109t, 1998, 2001, 4runner, 96, coolant, cost, engine, flush, heater, heating, infinity, overheating, overheats, rear, steam, toyota