Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1998 4Runner, How Do I Add Fogs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 4Runner, How Do I Add Fogs?

The front looks like this. Could someone dummy the steps down for me and explain what I need to do to add fog lights? Where are my options of mounting them? Then the whole process of the wiring. Preferably I'd like to find a kit that is plug and play. I also don't want to spend a fortune on a new valance like from J burtman's.

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 11-12-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Define plug and play, I mean factory fogs might be but they go in the valance that has holes already, cheap lights will be more of a pain to install good lights like PIAA come with a wonderful harness ready to go but are more expensive, but still aren't plug and play you will have to tap into wiring somewhere. My advice search on here on the install and don't buy 20 dollar specials from auto zone. PIAA's are my light of choice but lots of other great choices out there that are just as good.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 AM

Well ideally, I want to do little of splicing into other wires as possible but I'm capable of doing it with instructions. I know about the lower valance spots that were meant for fogs, I was wondering if there are plugs down there that I can literally "plug" the fog wiring into. in my dash near the dimmer dial, I think there is an empty slot for a switch, when I removed the dash, there were plugs that weren't being used that were tied into the dimmer switch, thats why I was wondering if my setup had all the wiring for fogs in place and just needed fogs. But I'm guessing that isn't the case because thatd be too easy. I was thinking of this
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Buy some Hellas for 100 bucks and be kinda happy, or buy some kcs for a bit more (150) and be a tad happer, or buy some PIAA 520s (or similar) and be happy enough to skip through your front yard.
As far as mounting goes.. The hellas I had (500 series) were super skinny, I could mount them to a bumper that was darn near flush with the grill.. this wont happen with the KCs. Maybe fab up a little light bar for the front...dunno?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by DaveS
Buy some Hellas for 100 bucks and be kinda happy, or buy some kcs for a bit more (150) and be a tad happer, or buy some PIAA 520s (or similar) and be happy enough to skip through your front yard.
As far as mounting goes.. The hellas I had (500 series) were super skinny, I could mount them to a bumper that was darn near flush with the grill.. this wont happen with the KCs. Maybe fab up a little light bar for the front...dunno?
too unskilled to fab anything lol. I was hoping to mount them in that valance spot or make a mesh grill and mount them behind the mesh..but that route would almost be pointless as the fogs would be directed straight forward and not a bit lowered towards the road for actual functional use. Everywhere I look, the 4runners of my year don't explain how they did it, and everyone else has stock fogs in theirs.
I plan on putting 2500k yellow bulbs in, helps with seeing the road here as we are nearing 20cm of snowfall...

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 11-12-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM

For those little lights you posted why not just mount them on either side of where your front plate would be, run the wiring up and and into the engine bay? Those things are lite weight..mounting those to the plastic wouldnt be bad...
Old 11-12-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by DaveS
For those little lights you posted why not just mount them on either side of where your front plate would be, run the wiring up and and into the engine bay? Those things are lite weight..mounting those to the plastic wouldnt be bad...
that wasn't my actual 4runner, but what do you mean mount them on either side of the front plate? and how would I do that? also I have no idea what to do about the wiring ( relays, power, ground). I literally have no idea what to do about any of that. thats why I said dummy it down cos im a dummy. I'm still trying to google instructions/how-to's to do this but there is literally nothing I can find. Everything I find is about how to replace fog light bulbs for 99-2002.
heres a better angle of the front bumper
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM

I havent ever taken a good look at the 4 runners bumper.. I was talking about mounting them in the area to the left and right of where your front license plate would hang down...But looking at the pic you just posted it doesnt look like that would be possible cause of another plastic piece that comes across.. Hmm.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 AM

See, all I want is some sort of fog light, it doesn't need to be some powerful HELLAS, Just something I can direct lower to the road. Once I pop in the 55w 2500k bulbs, the intense yellow will illuminate all the crap I need to see in front. This is quite an ordeal just to find and install fogs. Bah
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM

The bumpers just lack a good place to mount. I think there is a 4runner out in the parking lot at work. Ill glance at it on my way out and see if I can see a good place to mount em. Wiring them isnt hard..mounting is easy (once you find a spot).
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by OJ Simpson 4Runner
See, all I want is some sort of fog light, it doesn't need to be some powerful HELLAS, Just something I can direct lower to the road. Once I pop in the 55w 2500k bulbs, the intense yellow will illuminate all the crap I need to see in front. This is quite an ordeal just to find and install fogs. Bah
'98s don't have a place for fog lights - hence you not finding anywhere online about fogs on a 98.

You are just going to have to buy some aftermarket lights with mounts, find a place on the grill somewhere to mount them, and work out the wiring yourself. Check out the electronics section for other people's projects maybe?

Either way it isn't going to be a simple plug and play type deal.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:06 PM

there is a spot on the front valance where dealerships would mount fogs as an option. I just can't find any wiring guides for adding fogs.

This wasn't a factory option, but I was reading that they did leave these plastic squares in the spots where you see those fogs. Dealerships would offer an aftermarket installation of them. Searching these forums for how-to's lead me no where. any help?

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 11-22-2012 at 06:46 AM.