Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1998 4runner - How to change key tumbler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 4runner - How to change key tumbler?

Hi,

My key sticks when turning in my tumbler. I add some oil and it fixes the problem but having to add oil every 10 -20 turns is getting to be ghetto fabulous.

Does anyone have any instructions to change the tumbler? if someone could write or post links to photos / instructions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your assistance.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This pretty easy actually. First, disconnect the battery, then you will need to remove the lower shroud that goes under the steering colume. There are a couple of 10 mm screws you will need to remove. Once you have the shroud removed, look at the ignition assembly. You should notice that near the under side of the ignition assembly is a small protusion. This is the release point. Take your key and put it in the ignition. Turn the key to the ACCESSORY position. You will note the key will not come out in this position. Using a small pointed rod such as an awl, push upward on the tiny pin in the protusion. This unlocks the key assembly inside the ignition assembly and pull the entire lock assembly out. Now its removed from the steering colume. You maybe able to clean it now that you have it removed, but if you can get a replacement lock set you will be better off. Just remember that if you do replace the ignition lock you will have to eventually change the other 3 locks if you want the ignition key to open the doors and liftgate. Been there, done that. I have a complete lock set that I will be installing next spring that I got out of a 96 4runner, ignition, front doors and lift gate. Good luck
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dont use oil first of all. Graphite is what you want to use.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
This pretty easy actually. First, disconnect the battery, then you will need to remove the lower shroud that goes under the steering colume. There are a couple of 10 mm screws you will need to remove. Once you have the shroud removed, look at the ignition assembly. You should notice that near the under side of the ignition assembly is a small protusion. This is the release point. Take your key and put it in the ignition. Turn the key to the ACCESSORY position. You will note the key will not come out in this position. Using a small pointed rod such as an awl, push upward on the tiny pin in the protusion. This unlocks the key assembly inside the ignition assembly and pull the entire lock assembly out. Now its removed from the steering colume. You maybe able to clean it now that you have it removed, but if you can get a replacement lock set you will be better off. Just remember that if you do replace the ignition lock you will have to eventually change the other 3 locks if you want the ignition key to open the doors and liftgate. Been there, done that. I have a complete lock set that I will be installing next spring that I got out of a 96 4runner, ignition, front doors and lift gate. Good luck
+1 exactly as described

funny,i also have the ignition,both doors and rear hatch tumblers off a 97 4runner going into my 98 as i encountered the same problem as the OP.
i replaced the ignition and rear hatch ones and will tackle the doors this weekend.
oiled it with graphite lube from home depot and works like new...