Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1996 TR4 @ 230k Maintenance concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 TR4 @ 230k Maintenance concerns

Hi everyone I have never posted on a forum site before but have used them for research and writeups for years.

I have a 96 4Runner 5-speed 4x4 SR5 that I've had for 40k and I want to keep it forever.

Right after I bought it I changed the fluids in the diff, tranny, motor, rear axle and installed a ˟˟˟˟ty rough country 3" lift. I did this because the guy who I bought it from was shady about the maintenance. I traded him for a motorcycle I laid down and couldn't ride because of my injury so I was slightly desperate for a vehicle that the owner would want to trade and willing to take a risk.

Shortly after buying the truck I moved back to Austin from Los Angeles. I drove back to Austin almost straight and I have had no issues with it ever.

What I've done besides what was already mentioned:
Pcv valve
Regular oil & filter change w/ synthetic
Oil wetted air filter
Trd cat-back exhast
Cleaned MAF
Cleaned Throttlebody
Throttle Body Spacer
& Maybe some other things that I'm not remembering right now

Anyways I recently emailed the previous owner and asked him how long he owned it because I'm wanting to do the timing belt, water pump etc and he told me "I got it at 105k and had it until you got it and honestly I didn't do anything except change the oil and tires". So I got on toyota and looked up the vin and there is no records for service.

There is no option to get a new car because money is tight so this one is here to stay.

What are the first things to address and any major concerns that I need to check immediately? I know there are alot but the truck runs amazing and never has any issues except those damn rear shocks needing to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 09-12-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems to me you have short-term stuff under control, except maybe brakes, fuel filter, and plugs and wires. You should inspect for pad/shoe/rotor/drum wear and flush/bleed fluid, and swap fuel filter and plugs and wires.

There are three areas of concern for long-term maintenance you should address.

Timing belt--needs done every 90k. You have to be overdue.
Radiator--needs replace or have ATF bypassed to external cooler or you risk the dreaded 'pink milkshake.'
Lower ball joints--known weak part with disastrous fail consequences.

Last edited by TheDurk; 09-12-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah! I forgot that I had replaced the plugs and wires about 15k ago.
Brakes and fuel filter are on my list. I was wanting to do the Tundra upgrade because the truck shudders alot when braking.

Now do we have to worry about the pink milkshake problem on a 5-speed? I thought I had read somewhere that it was only a problem on AT.

And when you say lower ball joints what exactly does that entail? The bushings, ball joint, LCA? Anything else or less?

It scares me to take my truck to a shop because I prefer to do my own work as I know it was done right (or wrong). So is the timing belt, waterpump, and belts alot more of a headache to do on my own or should this be the big thing I save for?

The only issues I'm having with the truck right now is the brake shudder and the terrible ride in the back seat for my wife and son which I believe is due to the rough country shocks
Old 09-12-2015, 09:00 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

No records at Toyota means That a dealer has not done any service work

My Truck would no doubt show the same results.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See below:

Originally Posted by mordell

Now do we have to worry about the pink milkshake problem on a 5-speed? I thought I had read somewhere that it was only a problem on AT.

Sorry, I missed you had a manual. Yeah, we're immune.

And when you say lower ball joints what exactly does that entail? The bushings, ball joint, LCA? Anything else or less?

Here is a good write-up:http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...up-thread.html

It scares me to take my truck to a shop because I prefer to do my own work as I know it was done right (or wrong). So is the timing belt, waterpump, and belts alot more of a headache to do on my own or should this be the big thing I save for?

I did it myself. It's a big job, but doable. Do your homework; there are lots of write-ups and videos. ~$350 parts on a DIY vs. $750-$1000 at a shop or dealer.