Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 Vibration problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Vibration problem...

Finally took the new 03 out on a road trip this past weekend, and discovered a vibration problem. It starts at about 65mph and continues at least through 80mph (I didn't push it any higher). It is a cyclic vibration, more of a resonance than vibration actually, but I say vibration because you can feel it very slightly from the pedal and the steering wheel. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver's side, and it only does it with a load against it (which I think would rule out a tire problem). Let off the gas, it goes away. Mine is full time 4WD, so I have no option to take it out and see what happens. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing, and what you have done to correct it.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:05 PM

That sucks. I can't say I've experienced the same thing. I too have the full-time 4WD; I've pushed mine past 90 with wind while passing and everything works smoothly. I hope you can get an answer to fix this.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:56 AM

Take it in, that ain't normal. I've pegged mine out @ 110mph and it was just as smooth as going 35mph.

Last edited by JGage; 03-11-2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Just send it in to the stealer and have them check it out. It just could be a bad wheel or an alignment issue.

JGage: WOW 110 MPG ehe? hehe jk! Now that would be fabulous wouldn't it be! hahaha (... 110... mighty pretty fast ehe? for a suv)

Lance
Old 03-11-2003, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine's smooth as silk. Take it in to the dealer, still sounds like a balance problem or loose wheel lugs to me. The warranty guide specifies that you're entitled to a free alignment and tire balance within the first 12 months/20,000 miles, whichever comes first. Sooner is better. If they have to keep it overnight, you get a free loaner vehicle, too.

Just curious, which tire brand do you have? What pressures are you running?
Old 03-11-2003, 09:21 AM

Oops... Typo.
Old 03-11-2003, 12:02 PM

My tires are Dunlops, and I am running them at 32psi. I just don't feel like it's a tire problem though, because it's only with a load against it. If you are going down hill, with your foot off the gas, it's as smooth as can be. IMO, it seems like a rearend or front driveshaft slightly binding.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:47 PM

I had a similar problem with mine, was happening at around 65mph but it is the front drive shaft/propeller shaft that is spinning almost right under you, I don't even notice it now it is normal just have to get use to all the new sounds.

My Pathfinders had the same habit but only when in 4wd and they made a cool spinning noise, 4Runners the same
Old 08-27-2003, 03:46 PM

I just got a 2003 Sport three weeks ago and got it back today after being at the dealer 4 times. The vibration problem I had that started at 60mph was resolved by replacing the Dunlops with Michelin Cross Terrain Tires. The dealer told me the Dunlops were out of round and this problem is not on every 4Runner, but they have had a lot of complaints. It was a battle with the dealer & Toyota to get the Michelins.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Being man made I guess there are exceptions to everything. I have the Dunlops and at 4500 miles they seem to be holding up well and providing a smooth ride, I've actually enjoyed them. I will replace them with Michelin LTX M/S 265/70 17 at about the 15K mark though.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:51 PM

The Dunlops are OK tires, not something I would have put on the truck and Im confused till this day how Toyota puts certain brand tires on their vehicles not to mention the Lexus GS400/430 with the GoodYear tires have vibration problems but comon a 50k+ car with cheap ass GoodYears

It seems every AutoMaker don't give a crap what brand tires are on the vehicles even when the owners change them out within 5-15k:pat:

The GX470 has alot of owners complaining of the vibration, it's funny the women drivers don't complain they problem is not the tires but the driveshaft, so I guess Lexus is looking into a remedy.

Before the winter I'll most likely put 265/70 17 Yokohama Geolandar AT+II on this truck, the Dunlops are like all around dress shoes but in reality they suck, I've actually heated the tires up on hot days to the point where I can feel the truck slide sideways around turns and the VSC does not kick in, just a few inches not fishtailing.

I would not be surprised if someone analized the original engine oil and found it to be 69 cent supermarket brand, considering their choices in other things
Old 08-27-2003, 07:27 PM

Most buyers won't pay the difference between an average tire and a really good one when they buy the vehicle. So, the manufacturers used the cheapest they can find, then leave it up to us to buy what we want aftermarket.

You say you are getting 265/70-17's -- will they rub in the wheel wells?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by jharris2
You say you are getting 265/70-17's -- will they rub in the wheel wells?
I expect them to rub but just minor, I had a 2000 Pathfinder OEM tires where 255/65 16 and I put 265/70 16 on them, they rubbed in reverse nothin bad, gave the truck character and it made people wave me down to point it out like I did not know it was their

I thought the 3rd Gens came with 265/70 16 and guys could put 265/75 on with out rubbing, why did Toyota suddenly cut down on the wheel well size
Old 08-28-2003, 04:57 AM

Unhappy steering wheel vibration

Hi guys, I'm a proud new owner of 03 Limited 4WD 4Runner. Unfortunately, I found a minor problem like some of you guys have stated, the steering wheel starts vibrating at 55mph and it does not stop until I reduce speed. I called the dealer and they told me that it could be a balance problem, and by the way they would not pay for it..... I'm sorry, the car is two weeks old and they won't pay for this Toyota ÅÅÅÅ-up problem, I need to get my boxing gloves on......

O.k, this is when my wife takes over. I can't stand dealers...... Well, my wife is taking it in this Saturday morning, I'll keep you guys informed.....

Last edited by dasilva; 08-28-2003 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:05 PM

Dasilva,

I see your from Virginia - I bought mine from Rosner in Fredericksburg and they went one better and gave up on the Dunlops and put on Michelins. Hope that is some fuel for your battle with them.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:19 PM

I did buy a 4-runner limited V6. I have been having a problem starting at 9000 miles. The steering wheel starts shaking at 62mph and is driving me crazy. Also at lower speeds I feel kind of a wobble as I put torque left or right on the wheel, as I go into a turn. I have been to 2 Toyota dealers who both said the other didn't balanced the tires right. Then they finally sent me to GoodYear to stand behind the warranty on the Dunlop tires on the vehicle. After three times there, (now 6 hours of waiting) complete 4-wheel balancing, several rotations and as of today, two brand new replacement tires on the front...same problem. Could it be the Dunlop tires, even brand new! Goodyear nthinks it is a Toyota issue now, and are through with me. You know the circle I am going in.

Might it me related or not...when I am driving at about 5 mph and I hit a bump in the road the steering wheel jumps left or right out of my hand. This is annoying.

Also, could it be related...a couple of time while sitting still at a stoplight, all of a sudden I notice the front end start to shake, almost as if the timing was completely off and it was going to stall, but I think it actually is the brakes quivering, not the engine. When I ease up on the brake and start to roll it goes away.

The over-all feeling is like the wheels are loose, doing differnt things at different speeds.

All this started happening about 9000 miles. I am very disappointed and annoyed. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Old 08-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Dan:

sorry to hear your troubles i must say that really sux. Not sure what the problem might be as i'm no expert or a mechanic but it can be multiple issues troubling you at the same time.

first off, it might be a bad rim and not the tires itself? (have you asked them to replace the entire wheel and tire and not just the tire itself?) the wheel might be unbalanced and have severe issues which might be of concern (as they are mass produced and can have flaws).

sorry I can't help much as I have the v8 and have put in well over 13k miles now. I sincerely hope that a dealer will be able to help you out.

Make sure you log everything and keep a note/journal on all your issues as if it becomes oviously that they can't fix the problem, you might be able to take legal actions regarding the problems. I just hope it doesn't have to come to that though. Also look into having them just outright replace the vehicle as well (u never know!)

good luck

Lance
Old 08-28-2003, 04:01 PM

irst off, it might be a bad rim and not the tires itself?
Indeed. Have them check to see if any of the wheels are out of round.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:13 PM

When they balance the wheels doesn't that mean the whole "piece" tire and wheel, are in balance?
Old 08-29-2003, 05:52 AM

Yes, the balance the assembly but that doesn't account for any out of round condition. Also, tires should always be mounted with the little red dot on the sidewall directly in line with the valve stem (the valve stem is always drilled at either the low or high spot of the wheel (can never remember which) and the dot on the tire is always at the opposite (high or low). Lining these up insures that you've got the best "roundness" possible. It's amazing to me that many of the vehicles on the dealers lot do not have the tires mounted properly (except the Michelins, they are all lined up). Then, they should be balanced to within 1/10 of a gram - PIA for the tire company but it can be done. Also, if the tire company has Hunter Roadforce Balancer, you can actually view the condition of the tire under load and at highway speeds on the little computer screen attached to the balancer. It's amazing how many brand new tires have soft spots in the cord and will never be a smooth tire. Every new car, including my 4Runner, that I've bought in the last few years (99GMC, 01 Accord, 03 4Runner) has had a tire issue, to the point where I look for it on the test drive and have the tires swapped before inking the deal. Sad that is has come to this.

In any case, call Toyota Technical at 1-800-331-4331 and have them open a file on your problems. They will contact the dealer and arrange for a service call when the roving tech is going to be at that dealership. Document, document, document. Toyota will stand behind their product, it sometimes take a fairly good size push for them to do so but they have always been a standup company.

Quick Reply: 03 Vibration problem...