Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 Dash Switch (where can i get one?)

Old 03-25-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Dash Switch (where can i get one?)

I was actually able to wire up my KC lights all by myself, and get them to work. Now I have a dilemma. I don't want to drill holes in my dash to mount the KC switch (which is currently just dangling behind that small fuse panel below the Center Diff Lock switch) I would like to find a switch for my lights that would fit right in those extra spaces on either side of the diff lock switch. I suppose I could live with an on/off switch made for the 115V power outlet. Would one of those work? Where can I buy one? Do they make any switches that would fit in those extra spaces?

Thanks alot guys.
Mark
Old 03-25-2004, 03:03 PM

Check out Torr. He's works for Toyota of Richardson. Give him a call or send him an e-mail. He usually has good prices on Toyota parts. You can use the std. Toyota illuminated fog light switch. You can find this on the Performance Products Website/Catalog.

So, where did you mount the lights? Did you hook the KC's into the fogs or low beams. I'm thinking of getting the Westin Safari Bar and adding lights. I want the to operate off the parking lamps.

Post some pic if you got them
Old 03-25-2004, 03:09 PM

Sorry, no pics of the lights yet. I`ll take a few on saturday. I wired them independantly of the other lights, so I can turn them on or off any time I want (if engine is on) I spliced into the power line that runs under the center console to the power outlet.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:15 AM

So, where did you mount the lights???

I want to wire mine the same way. Yours will shut off when you shut the truck down? How did you hook them into the power?

I've also considered hooking them into the parking lights. That's when I want to be able to use them.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by The Dutch Man
So, where did you mount the lights???

I want to wire mine the same way. Yours will shut off when you shut the truck down? How did you hook them into the power?

I've also considered hooking them into the parking lights. That's when I want to be able to use them.

I got my fog light switch from this guy for $20 shipped. Not the push button version, but it fits.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:54 PM

I drilled holes in the top of the bumper. I'm happy with the look, amazingly so does my gf. It looks almost like they were made for the truck. The KC lights came with this little splicer doo-hickey which you can use to splice in to any power wire by clamping it on there. I chose the power that runs to the cigarette lighter/power outlet. Two wires run to that outlet, and it was simply a matter of guessing which wire to clamp... yes sort of like in the movies when they have to dis-arm a bomb. If I recall, it was either white or blue. can't remember which one I chose, but I did guess right on the first try. Then I just tucked the wire underneath where the cup-holder is, and up and over to the fuse panel, where my switch is currently hanging. I'm not sure which wire you would use to have it work off of the parking lights. I chose the simplest way (I think).
I`ll take a picture tomorrow I promise.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:57 PM

Biff I'm pretty nutty about making this look like it came from the factory, seing as how I will see the switch every day. Any chance you could post a pic of your switch mounted as it is? And while your at it, I wouldn't mind seeing where you mounted your lights as well.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

This is how my friends switch looks.

I know what you mean, better look than the switch that comes with the lights, and or drilling into the dash. Unfortunetly I couldn't find a switch that was the push botton version. Doesn't look half bad, I don't have any pics, but I will post some soon. You mentioned you drilled a hole into the bumper, how did you anchor the lights?
Attached Thumbnails 03 Dash Switch (where can i get one?)-switch.jpg  

Last edited by Biff; 03-26-2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:55 PM

I've got the same one. Not perfect, but it fits, I would have paid for the push button ones for more if toyota had some.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:19 PM

Whew, 3 hours of TLC for my truck today. Stopped by a dealership just to see about what they had for switches.. they could give me the factory push button for the power outlet, or the trac off switch for 55 bucks. It ain't worth that much. Maybe I`ll find one of em on ebay. I got some pics finally, just have to figure out how to post em. How do I do it?
Old 03-27-2004, 02:41 PM

Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails 03 Dash Switch (where can i get one?)-kcslims.jpg  
Old 03-27-2004, 02:42 PM

Mounted to bumper.
Attached Thumbnails 03 Dash Switch (where can i get one?)-slimmounts.jpg  
Old 03-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

That looks pretty clean. When you drilled you holes in the bumper, where did you anchor the bolts?
Old 03-27-2004, 05:56 PM

Another option you can try is the direct OEM replacement switches available from Painless Performance Products. They're about 12 bucks. I bought one for my IPF aux lights (a 3 position switch) but couldn't use it because my lights seem to require some slightly more sophisticated circuitry (digital logic). That's not to say I've given up...just have to find another weekend to figure it all out.

Check 'em out:
Painless Performance Homepage (clicky)

Pictures:

I did have the switch attached to power (the on/off/on with amber lights in the attached picture) and it looked really nice--the glow is very useful. Once I find the solution to my problem, I think it'll complement the interior well, not to mention look totally stock.

You can buy your switches from carshopinc.com...this link will send you to a search query page with the available options. Check them out first on the Painless Page.
Clicky

Last edited by Goosenheimer; 03-27-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:15 PM

If you feel around underneath the bumper, you`ll feel a small space on either side just big enough to fit the bolt that holds the mounting brackets in place. I used the bolts and brackets that came with the lights. Not sure if that answers your question or not.