Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 Appearance Package (color-keyed cladding)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Appearance Package (color-keyed cladding)

To everyone wondering about this appearance package, I just spoke to the sales manager at a local dealership and he indeed confirmed the rumors. He said he heard from Toyota that is WILL be offered for BOTH the SR5 and Sport Edition. He told me the dealer cost on it is around $270 and it would be very expensive to have it added later on. He says he doesnt think it will be offered as an add-on accessory through your local parts/service dept. and only offered as a collision replacement at a very high cost. So, bottom line is, if you want the color-keyed cladding, wait till its released.

By the way, here in Florida through Southeast Toyota he said expect to see it at dealerships mid-March
Old 02-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw three SR5's with the new Appearance Package at my dealership yesterday, all Titanium with optional 17" wheels. From the outside, the only way to tell them apart from a Limited were the black rack and boards. Both of those are options that could be deleted for a stealth Limited.

You're in an independent, privately held Toyota region called SET (Southeast Toyota) that has slightly different rules and trim than the factory regions. If what your dealer said is true, it's contrary to what's available in the rest of the country, meaning AP is on SR5 only.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

gotta agree w/ ya BT17R

as for me i already got the sr5 so... o well... no dings yet tho... dang some people do test the panels out tho.... PUNKS! atleast all i get are their little scuff marks.... they do come in handy sometimes i guess.... hehe

will find out on the trails this weekend....
Old 02-07-2003, 08:12 PM

I've seen 10 Limiteds for every 1 SR5, maybe after this AP the SR5 will start moving cause as of now their just sittin on the lots a lot longer than any Limited will, might even put more of a demand on the SR5,

BT17R
did those SR5 with the AP have those numbs on the fenders
Old 02-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

No numbs. Smooth just like a Limited. I remembered that they still had black mirrors, though. After I sat in it (very comfy cloth seats) and fired up the base stereo (sounded pretty much like the JBL to me) I started wondering why I bought a Limited. Didn't drive one, though, so I'll rationalize by saying the X-REAS is a must have! Realistically, I think the SR5 would be a better starting point for anyone wanting to mod (with the easily upgraded shocks and sways) than the X-REAS or Air suspension trucks. Plus it was $7K less than mine but still had the awesome V-8. I do like the bells and whistles of the Limited, and my GF enjoys the dual-zone A/C instead of freezing all the time. I was back at the dealership today, and two of the three SR5's with AP sold already!
Old 02-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

BT17R:

Not sure if you can mod the sr5 just because it doesn't have the xreas system/rear air.
I specifically bought the sr5 because i wanted to mod it and knew that the xreas/rear air will become an issue. but at the current moment, it doesn't even look like anyone has any parts for their suspension even for the sr5's! arg i'd like a saw and ome combo but neither company has released any of em.

taking a closer look at the service manual, looks like the 4runner's w/ the xreas and non xreas (sr5/sport) should be able to mod their suspension easier than the limited. by looking at the xreas system, it seems like they're just a rancho 9000 (?) setup. it looks like all it does is adjust the valve inside the shock. (someone correct me if I"m wrong here).

dunno but i'm still waiting.... the AP pkg would have not work w/ me anyway even if i waited cuz i got the green! someone tell me news that i can lift my truck!!!!

Lance
Old 02-08-2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by BT17R
I started wondering why I bought a Limited.

So I'll rationalize by saying the X-REAS is a must have! Realistically,

I do like the bells and whistles of the Limited,
Dude we must think a like but I also liked the interior of the Limited Better with the leather and the resale value of the LTD is much higher,

I also thought to myself why I just did not buy the GX470:pat:
Old 02-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Rear Differential Breather Mod

good times you did the Rear Differential Breather Mod on the 03
do you still run the line out the gas fill ?

anyone have any comments on the trd high pro air filter or is k/n
just as good ?

thanks
Old 02-08-2003, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

sideshot:

The first mod I did was the rear diff breather mod.

I did a real short right up for Thai and his site

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...=&threadid=123

I forgot to take the last pic of the actual breather by the fuel cap but that's where i have it right now.

The one thing you need to make sure is that you have enough slack where the breather is so that the breather can move (i.e. breath, move up and down via spring inside). So if you do place it in the gas fill area, make sure u have enough play in that area so that the breather can move around.

If you're looking into air filter, I'd recommend Amsoil.. the only problem is that I don't think they make em for ours yet you can try the TRD one but I'd stay away from K&N. just read too many stuff about em that we not all that.. From what I've read on the yota boards, Amsoil or TRD is the way to go. I believe the airfilter is the same for the tundra and land cruiser. I think another member said it did fit using the tundra one so u might want to look into that. (can't guarantee it but you can try).

Lance
Old 02-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Good Times

If you're looking into air filter, I'd recommend Amsoil.. the only problem is that I don't think they make em for ours yet you can try the TRD one but I'd stay away from K&N. just read too many stuff about em that we not all that.. From what I've read on the yota boards, Amsoil or TRD is the way to go.
Lance
I was under the impression that the TRD air filters were simply rebranded K&N filters. Is that not the case?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:15 AM

Goodtimes, the '03's airfilter is nothing but a latest gen LC filter. I'm sure Amsoil makes one.