Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 4runner V8 whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 4runner V8 whining noise

Has anyone experienced a whining noise at or near 80mph.

I have a whining noise only during acceleration at 80mph, which doesn't happen below 80, but slowly goes away at 95mph, or when you stop accelerating.

Toyota refuses to test. Yet the warranty doesn't exclude speed, and infact, Toyota produces the vehicle to travel at speeds upto 110mph.

What can i do?
Old 12-14-2003, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want Toyota to test for that problem at that speed you have to drive it with a tech, kinda like bringing your porsche to the dealer and telling them it pulls at 140mph

Can you describe the whine more indepth, is it in the rear or under you, I've had mine at 80 from time to time and never heard anything
Old 12-14-2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by EDGE
If you want Toyota to test for that problem at that speed you have to drive it with a tech, kinda like bringing your porsche to the dealer and telling them it pulls at 140mph

Can you describe the whine more indepth, is it in the rear or under you, I've had mine at 80 from time to time and never heard anything
It happens all the time only during acceleration at 80 and slightly above. If you let off the accelerator and then reaccelerate slowly you will hear it comming from the front almost underneath you. It sounds like the front diff.

Per Toyota and the dealers rep, they cannot test a vehicle above 65mph which is the local speed limit.

Nothing in the warranty book states anything about limitting speed.

Toyota national affairs refuses to intervine. What can I do?
Old 12-14-2003, 12:29 PM

I know the exact whine your complaining about. My truck has it too. It gets loud at about 80 mph. Sounds like the driveline. I haven't complained about mine to the dealer. I just assume that this is normal with all the V8's and full time setup. When was yours built? Mine was built in 11/02

Dutchman
Old 12-14-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by The Dutch Man
I know the exact whine your complaining about. My truck has it too. It gets loud at about 80 mph. Sounds like the driveline. I haven't complained about mine to the dealer. I just assume that this is normal with all the V8's and full time setup. When was yours built? Mine was built in 11/02

Dutchman
Mine was also built in 11/02.

Its a serious issue, because if it is a differential pinion bearing, it will eventually wear out and render the vehicle useless.

It will take time and most likely wear out after warranty.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:48 PM

Drive 80 everywhere you go, then it will wear out sooner. Residantial streets are 25? Not anymore!
Old 12-14-2003, 12:55 PM

4Runner Jason,

Are you going to bring yours in to the dealer? Mine was just in last week for the 12K service. I did not mention this. I'd be interested to see what others have to say. You could get the dealer to replicate the hum on a lift with the tires free spinning? Like I said before, my truck has always had that humm sound since day one. If you bring yours in, I'd like to hear the outcome.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:04 PM

I had the hum from the driveshaft to, I had it when new then it stopped, both my Pathfinders made a similar humming when in 4WD so I figured it was a 4wd/awd trait, the plow trucks make that noise when in 4wd

Toyota set these vehicles up to be used by the general public, so driving at 80-90 daily is something they figured a 4Runner would never encounter.

When I had the hum it was low pitch and with the radio on it could not be heard
Old 12-14-2003, 01:10 PM

Edge,

That is the hum I'm speaking about. Turn the radio on, and you really cannot hear it. Radio off, you can hear the hum start at 75-80 mph. I assumed it was the Full Time 4WD on this truck. If it was a bearing, the hum would start well before 80 mph. Isn't that correct Edge? It just seems to be the nature of this beast. Most people aren't driving over 80 mph every day.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by EDGE

Where do I find a tech?

I already told you Toyota corporation refuses to allow their techs and dealer reps to drive test any Toyota vehicle above 65mph.

They are obviously hiding something, but how do I prove it.

The noise is a differential whine (high pitched whinning) at 80 when you accelerate, not coasting.

I had a rliable local transmission shop specializing in 4WD differential repair confirm my noise just by me describing it. Still Toyota resuses to accept anything is wrong, yet they refuse to test.

Someone else here also aknowledged a noise as well. Thus it may be a certain production date with a batch of bad differntials. Mine was manufactured on 11/02.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:56 PM

Dutch Man
I never found the hum to be an annoyance, I had it several times within the 1st few thousand miles but after that it subsided, I typically don't drive above 75 at 75 but I do on occassion travel at about 80-90 but thats once a month or so, I have heard it now and then but big deal, it could be their but with the radio on moonroof open, I don't hear it.

The trucks a beast putting out a lot of power and I've found other AWD/4WD trucks to make humming sounds just like the 4Runner, how much sound insulation can you put in the floor, not really enough room, I like hearing certain noise, it's the nature of the machine.

If you ever stood on the outside while someone drives past in 4WD you hear a humming whirling sound, I like it.

Above 80, I doubt Toyota is gonna do anything, we don't have the autobhan and soccer moms traveling at that speed with kids in the back is insane, long as the truck is fine within legal highway and street limits then it's good, after all we did buy a manufactured vehicle being distributed to 1000's of people

90+ is nothin in a 4Runner but daily I would look at sports cars

Mine is low pitched, you have to listen for it, if your talking to someone you don't hear it, if it's blow your ear drums out then it's a problem
Old 12-14-2003, 02:05 PM

Edge,

Yep. mine's low pitched. I hear it. It doesn't hurt my ears, so I guess it's normal. My wife and passangers have never complained. I'll mention it next time at the dealer and see what they say. Like you said, 80 mph is outside normal operation, so I doubt Toyota can do much.

4 Runner Jason, have your tried another dealer? Only other thing you may be able to do is take it back to your local shop and see if they can find the source. Or, like I said before, plead with the dealer to throw it on the lift, run it up to speed, and diagnose the whine. That way their employees are not driving the vehicle. Hell, it's worth a shot.

To anyone else out there besides the three of us, anyone else with the V8's have this driveline whine at 80mph? If so, what date was your truck manufactured?
Old 12-14-2003, 02:06 PM

It is a low pitch noise, not high as originally said. However, a differential bearing going bad has nothing to do with speed. It's telling you that there is a problem by hearing it at 80, and its mostlikely happening at lower speeds that the human ear cannot hear.

There are sights online that I have researched stating this issue that specifically say that it will worsen down the road, and could even cause the axle to seperate from the differential.

I think we should all get together and file a class action law suit against Toyota.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:44 PM

http://www.ring-pinion.com/tech/techg0198.html

look at the above link. It talks about this problem, and could have potential issues later on
Old 12-15-2003, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

My V8, build date 2/03, had a whirring/whining noise emitting from the middle front when I purchased in June. Sounded like a speedo cable wearing out, more of a whirr based on speed than a humm. I thought it to be the front diff too, but the noise soon subsided.

My only recommendation is to drive it until it breaks. Toy powertrain warranty is up to 5/60,000 miles. Toy is very hesitant to rip into something mechanical that is not an obvious system failure or throws a code.

You drive 75-90 mph regularly in your Runner? I get sweaty palms driving over 70 mph with the Dunflops! Those stock tires suck!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:18 AM

Re: 03 4runner V8 whining noise

Originally posted by 4Runner_Jason
Has anyone experienced a whining noise at or near 80mph.

I have a whining noise only during acceleration at 80mph, which doesn't happen below 80, but slowly goes away at 95mph, or when you stop accelerating.

Toyota refuses to test. Yet the warranty doesn't exclude speed, and infact, Toyota produces the vehicle to travel at speeds upto 110mph.

What can i do?
It's the front driveshaft. Have you been under your truck to grease the driveshaft ZERK fittings? I had the same problem until I greased my slip yoke and all Zerk fittings.. No more hum..
Old 12-15-2003, 10:16 AM

What type of grease is best?

I have the bump in my brake pedal that I believe is the rear slip joint needing to be greased. If I remember correctly this is the name of the part. I had my 2003 in for the 5000 mile check-up and told them to grease every available fitting and described the problem and the fix written-up here at yotatech. It is still happening and I want to go under and grease the whole drive-line myself so I know it is done correctly. What is the best grease to use?

Thanks.

Also, since I have the V8/4x4...I figure this work will cover any eventuality with the thread of these posts!
Old 12-15-2003, 05:58 PM

I've was using a premium Valvoline multipurpose grease (synthetic blend) until recently. I just started using Mobil1 synthetic because they had a sale at the auto store. IMO, any multipurpose Chasis grease will do the job.

I'm not as finicky about grease as I am about motor oil... I will only use Mobil 1 oil in my motors.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:18 AM

I think we should all get together and file a class action law suit against Toyota.
Woah, there... Aren't you going a little overboard on this issue ?? In order to have any merit to file a lawsuit you need substantiation that this is indeed a problem that Toyota knows about and won't fix. You're gonna need more proof than an Internet article...

Just some suggestions: Have you checked your tranny, diff, and t-case fluid levels ? As Kaneman suggests, have you greased your driveline ? Better make sure that these are all full/greased. Next, what tires do you have on your Runner ? Have you rotated them recently ? How about tire pressure ? You have the proper air pressure in them ?

Good luck. Let us know how you do with correcting your issue.

Steve
Old 12-16-2003, 04:22 AM

What is the best grease to use?
Andro, I'm not near my grease gun, but I believe we need a Moly-based chassis grease. GLC-2, comes to mind, but it's been about 5k miles since I greased my driveline. It appears to be time to do it again since I'm starting to get the "clunk" back.

Steve

Quick Reply: 03 4runner V8 whining noise