Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'03 4Runner Maintenance and Performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '03 4Runner Maintenance and Performance

I'm thinking about getting the '03 V8 Limited 4x4 4Runner, but I have a few questions/concerns:

To owners with leather seats, are there any popping noises when you drive over rough roads and the leather surfaces rub and stick/unstick? The middle row seats in my wife's '00 Sienna does that. It's really annoying.

Also, are there any rattling noises in the engine compartment like some Sequoia owners have encountered, mentioned on this site and edmunds.com?

When does Toyota recommend to do the big tune-up under normal conditions with the V8 (30k, 60k, or 100k miles)? And for the new V6? I'm trying to guage maintenace costs here.

Do XRES and the other driving-assistance features really improve handling and the ride? Do you think they are worth the cost?

I like the features of the Limited but prefer the look of the SE with the scoop on the hood and the grille guard. Are there any thoughts/concerns about SE advantages over the Limited or vice versa?

Thanks ahead for some good advice.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Re: '03 4Runner Maintenance and Performance

Originally posted by SUVman
I'm thinking about getting the '03 V8 Limited 4x4 4Runner, but I have a few questions/concerns:

To owners with leather seats, are there any popping noises when you drive over rough roads and the leather surfaces rub and stick/unstick? The middle row seats in my wife's '00 Sienna does that. It's really annoying.

Also, are there any rattling noises in the engine compartment like some Sequoia owners have encountered, mentioned on this site and edmunds.com?

When does Toyota recommend to do the big tune-up under normal conditions with the V8 (30k, 60k, or 100k miles)? And for the new V6? I'm trying to guage maintenace costs here.

Do XRES and the other driving-assistance features really improve handling and the ride? Do you think they are worth the cost?

I like the features of the Limited but prefer the look of the SE with the scoop on the hood and the grille guard. Are there any thoughts/concerns about SE advantages over the Limited or vice versa?

Thanks ahead for some good advice.
Suvman- Welcome to the board! I have the full leather seats and they are the greatest. I will never go bach to cloth again!

My dealer tells me 6K is the first service. After that it's on their schedule but they keep track.

The X-reas is superior. You cannot make this truck "dip". Mine handles better than alot of sports cars
Old 04-26-2003, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes get the V8, the leather makes no weird popping sound and cleans easy with water they are dead quiet, as far as noises no the 4.0 V6 has a few squeaks from the belts that Toyota is working on but so far the V8 is solid man

The big tune up is 100k but I've heard people say that you should not leave plugs in the block that long they become one with the block the other maintaince is every 15k for changing the other fluids and flushing the trans etc.. V8 verse V6 should cost the same.

The XREAS does improve the handling I have cornered with this truck at about 80 and the only flaw is it needs better tires to hold the road The Sport comes with the XREAS.

By the time you get the truck the Sport will have all the plastic painted and it has basically all the same mechanical things as the Limited so powertrain they are identical..

Welcome
Old 04-27-2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
Yes get the V8, the leather makes no weird popping sound and cleans easy with water they are dead quiet, as far as noises no the 4.0 V6 has a few squeaks from the belts that Toyota is working on but so far the V8 is solid man

The big tune up is 100k but I've heard people say that you should not leave plugs in the block that long they become one with the block the other maintaince is every 15k for changing the other fluids and flushing the trans etc.. V8 verse V6 should cost the same.

The XREAS does improve the handling I have cornered with this truck at about 80 and the only flaw is it needs better tires to hold the road The Sport comes with the XREAS.

By the time you get the truck the Sport will have all the plastic painted and it has basically all the same mechanical things as the Limited so powertrain they are identical..

Welcome
Thanks for the info. What tires are out there that should go on the truck? Goodyear, Michelin, etc?

Also, what plastic will be painted soon on the SE? Is the dark gray cladding on the bottom going to change?

By the way, is the fabric not-so-good, wears out quickly or stains easily?

Oh, and of course, is production not keeping up with demand? It seems whenever it's time for me to buy production is lagging, and the dealers do not come down on the price much. What luck!
Old 04-27-2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by SUVman
Also, what plastic will be painted soon on the SE? Is the dark gray cladding on the bottom going to change?
You may have seen this already, but here is an informative post re prices and packages for ‘03s link
Old 04-27-2003, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tires on the trucks are Michelins which everyone wants, Dunlops and Bridgestones, so far my Dunlops still look new but they have 3000 miles, I would go for the Michelins but it was like the 1st wave of 4Runners in my area all had Michelins and then when I got mine they all had Dunlops I passed on having them swaped cause it is just less scratches

The plastic that will be painted is the body cladding on the SR5 and sports, seems that the majority does not like it and Toyota changed things mid year, read the post 1 up.

As far as the fabric in the Truck it looks like good quality fabric, the Sport has a 2 tone pattern which is nice and the SR5 has a nice fabric, other than that I have leather but wish the fabric was one solid color and suade like, like I had in my Pathfinder but the fabric looks good only way I could judge it is by older 4Runners and I have a Limited that only has leather.

Production is who knows maybe these truck sell themselves to well and Toyota knows that and only makes so many at any given time, back before Xmas the dealer by me had at least 15 V8 4Runners several of them Limited one being black, a week after Xmas they all sold so I went elsewhere
Old 04-28-2003, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

SUVMAN:

if you plan to drive your 4runner on a regular basis and don't have any intentions on lifting your 4runner, then you should definitely get the xreas system. This system is great and should be "must have" for everyone.

also, the gas saving between the v6/v8 isn't that much considering that for the v8 you get the luxury of the 5a/t vs. the v6's 4a/t. This definitely makes a big difference and the performance definitely evident. the v8 is a solid engine (been out for along time now) and the new 5a/t makes the solid engine purr like crazy. the v6 is a new design and is going thru it's usual 1st yr production bugs but it's still a solid engine.

towing w/ the v8 is a non-issue. v6 should be able to tow as well but the v8 has more torque and also comes w/ the tranny cooler which helps even more.

If you had leather before, you're always gonna want it no matter what... it's hard to go back to cloth.

I have the v8 and I haven't heard any noises coming from the engine compartment so no worries here.

Tune up should be followed by standard mfg miles/dates. If you drive more, then tune up should be done earlier. Never hurts to be early and do it more often than forgettin it completely.

hood scoop - is non functioning...

can't help ya on deciding on ltd vs se as I have the cheapie sr5...

good luck

Lance
Old 04-28-2003, 09:36 AM

SUVman,

I'm with GoodTimes - get the V8. This is my second vehicle with the i-Force V8 in it and absolutely, without a doubt, LOVE it ! I can't speak about the V6 since I have never driven one. But after spending 500+ miles towing 3000 lbs up and down 6%+ grades, the V8 is by far the only way to go.

Good luck ! I'm certain that you won't be disappointed with any 4Runner you choose.

Steve
Old 04-28-2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
SUVMAN:

if you plan to drive your 4runner on a regular basis and don't have any intentions on lifting your 4runner, then you should definitely get the xreas system. This system is great and should be "must have" for everyone.

also, the gas saving between the v6/v8 isn't that much considering that for the v8 you get the luxury of the 5a/t vs. the v6's 4a/t. This definitely makes a big difference and the performance definitely evident. the v8 is a solid engine (been out for along time now) and the new 5a/t makes the solid engine purr like crazy. the v6 is a new design and is going thru it's usual 1st yr production bugs but it's still a solid engine.

towing w/ the v8 is a non-issue. v6 should be able to tow as well but the v8 has more torque and also comes w/ the tranny cooler which helps even more.

If you had leather before, you're always gonna want it no matter what... it's hard to go back to cloth.

I have the v8 and I haven't heard any noises coming from the engine compartment so no worries here.

Tune up should be followed by standard mfg miles/dates. If you drive more, then tune up should be done earlier. Never hurts to be early and do it more often than forgettin it completely.

hood scoop - is non functioning...

can't help ya on deciding on ltd vs se as I have the cheapie sr5...

good luck

Lance
I have seen some folks talk about the stock shocks too and wanting to replace them. Is this coming from the rough off-roading crowd?

Speaking of off-roading, I've seen the grill guard that Toyota offers for the '03 4Runner. It seems a bit short/low and does not provide protection for the lights and grill above the bumper. Is there a better guard out there that fits the new 4Runner and provides better protection?

Thanks to all on this thread who gave me some good info.
Old 04-28-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Upgrading suspension:

Currently there no companies that have lift parts for the new 03 4runner. Daystar has a prototype on a 4runner but that's about it. They should have something for sale soon (summertime/end of summer). Downey, OME, King, SAW are also in the running to make parts but expect to see those by the end of summer or even later than that.

Upgrading shocks are needed for those people who with to lift their vehicle. The stock 03's lost significant height compared to the previous gen 4runners so some of the owners and other yota members are not too happy about it. Increased height makes it easier for one to travel on unpaved roads/trails. Ideally speaking you want as much height as possible (within the "safe" zone) so that you can travel anywhere without worrying about damaging parts to your truck. Thus, upgrading suspension to increase height is crucial.

Aftermarket bumpers are definitely on the way. JAOS should be selling their safari bumpers soon along with other various mfg's. Expect to see some decent protective parts out soon.

The new 4runner was just released to the public in september, so mfg's are working hard to make great aftermarket products. Unfortunately this does take some time as they need to first prototype the part and then fit it to perfection. We should be seeing more products specifically for the new 4runners by the end of summer or the end of the year.

Until then....
Old 04-29-2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
Upgrading suspension:

Aftermarket bumpers are definitely on the way. JAOS should be selling their safari bumpers soon along with other various mfg's. Expect to see some decent protective parts out soon.

The new 4runner was just released to the public in september, so mfg's are working hard to make great aftermarket products. Unfortunately this does take some time as they need to first prototype the part and then fit it to perfection. We should be seeing more products specifically for the new 4runners by the end of summer or the end of the year.

Until then....
Thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for new aftermarket stuff. I like the chrome grill guards and foot rails. Not for vanity reasons, it seems the chrome holds up better under the desert sun. I've noticed my black roof rack is starting to discolor after three years while the chrome grill guard is doing well after almost ten years of sun and bugs (and a bird or two)!