Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01 taco 2.4 auto. Amsoil conv and fuel filter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 taco 2.4 auto. Amsoil conv and fuel filter question

My Taco has about 150K. Well maintained. Oil changes every 3K. No leaks.

I have a couple questions. I searched and am sure the answers are there somewhere but ....

I want to change to synthetic. Once, a long, long time ago when I did it to a higher mileage car (70K +) it developed leaks all over the place. At the time I was told there was a window for converting that I had passed.

Has anyone else done this on a higher mileage vehicle without problems?

What filter should I use? I would like to get a bigger one.

An last, on the fuel filter. You know, the "lifetime" one. Do I need the snap tools to remove it?

This is among my quest for better gas mileage, a lot of information which I obtained through you guys.

I have a full weekend of maintenance planned since I have to do the half shaft on the drivers side as well and am considering flushing the trans and converting it to Amsoil as well.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:43 PM

I started using Amsoil XL when I first got my truck. It had 149K on it and who knows what the guy before me used in it.

I have 184K now, and have zero oil leaks. I go 8000-10000 miles between oil changes, too.

You can replace the fuel filter with a wrench and a socket. Nothing special.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Flush the trans but dont change to synthetic. Its not a wise choice for the fact that you most likely will start to leak. Its thinner and if anything you should use a bit thicker. Stay with the High mileage. As for the fuel filter no special tools are needed but disconect the fuel pump wires and start the truck till shuts off so you dont get covered in gas. As for air filters, do you have a stock airbox??? if so if you want an intake for a bit and i mean a bit better mileage i would go with a AEM intake kit. best and easiest filter to clean and it will outlast you truck
Old 12-29-2007, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baloo
My Taco has about 150K. Well maintained. Oil changes every 3K. No leaks.

I have a couple questions. I searched and am sure the answers are there somewhere but ....

I want to change to synthetic. Once, a long, long time ago when I did it to a higher mileage car (70K +) it developed leaks all over the place. At the time I was told there was a window for converting that I had passed.

Has anyone else done this on a higher mileage vehicle without problems?

What filter should I use? I would like to get a bigger one.

An last, on the fuel filter. You know, the "lifetime" one. Do I need the snap tools to remove it?

This is among my quest for better gas mileage, a lot of information which I obtained through you guys.

I have a full weekend of maintenance planned since I have to do the half shaft on the drivers side as well and am considering flushing the trans and converting it to Amsoil as well.
I would keep doing what your doing...change that fuel filter and enjoy another 150K.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

I just realized that the subject list the wrong size, it is a 3.4L.

The fuel filter is a given. Still somewhat concerned about switching to Synthetic with this many miles, but will probably risk it using a NAPA Gold filter.

For the trans I will probably just change the filter and stay with the regular atf since the only comment I got was to the negative.

Thanks for the help guys..
Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The auto trans doesnt have a filter it has a screen. I added a remote filter kit between the stock cooler and trd cooler...makes filter changes a piece of cake.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Baloo
I just realized that the subject list the wrong size, it is a 3.4L.

The fuel filter is a given. Still somewhat concerned about switching to Synthetic with this many miles, but will probably risk it using a NAPA Gold filter.

For the trans I will probably just change the filter and stay with the regular atf since the only comment I got was to the negative.

Thanks for the help guys..
I'd use a Purolator PureOne filter. One of the best on the market and has enough filter media to last for long intervals.

Again, you'll have no issues with the transmission, either. I flushed mine with Amsoil ATF last summer, and 17K miles later, no leaks of any kind.

Only thing that happend when switching to a high quality synthetic ATF was smoother shifts and piece of mind...

I don't know why people are so apprehensive about going with synthetic on high mileage vehicles. It's not at issue.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ARB1977
The auto trans doesnt have a filter it has a screen. I added a remote filter kit between the stock cooler and trd cooler...makes filter changes a piece of cake.
The 01 3.4 does have a filter. I have it sitting here but am still on the fence post about the sythetic ATF and how to properly flush, so will hold off on that.

Did the Oil filter, oil change (Mobil 1 this time, Amsoil next) and put in a new TPS (was throwing an intermittent P0120) code) this weekend as well as a seafoam treatment. Obviously not long enough to notice any change yet, but keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by Baloo; 01-07-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:50 AM

I had over 175,000 miles on my 4runner before I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. No problems what so ever.