Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01 Questions, Tires, Wheels, Lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 Questions, Tires, Wheels, Lift

Hi,

I'm new here and have searched around some, good info but I need to ask some questions..

I have an 01 SR5 with 79K, I bought it new and it was a "promo" model, the one they advertise in the paper you can get relatively cheap and once you get in the dealership they try to switch you to one with lots of options...LOL This came with 15" steel wheels and sits low, it's my 2nd 4runner and has been perfect mechanically. I'm not a serious off road guy, but I do get in some nasty stuff during Hunting season and I hunt alot.

1) Going to 16" Stock wheels, Will I need to do anything to the ECU to keep the speedometer in range, what about the rear gears? Will the offset be different and what is it-(4.5"?) Cheepest place to get OEM wheels, new or used? Or, what is the biggest tire that will fit on the 15" rims?

2) I may want to lift it maybe 2" or so, will I need to get an alignment. Any other issues that may make me think twice? Should I do the stuts/shocks at the same time?

3) Tires for a softer ride. I know it's a Truck but this thing rides 10X's worse than my 01 Tundra which I just sold-(didn't need 2 and the Tundra didn't fit in the garage). When I get the wheels what tire gives a nice ride and is still a little aggressive.

Thanks, I know it's alot of questions but i don't want to just throw money at it without knowing what I doing..

Doug
Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 AM

1) OEM wheels should be a similar offset, find them used new they are very expensive. Take a look at bfgoodrichtires.com for all the possible tire sizes. The biggest you want to go on a 16" is 265/75/16 (31.8"x10.5), anything bigger can rub on compression. Depending on where you hunt you may want chains, then I would go with 265/70/16 (30.7x10.6), but thats up to you.

2) Yes, 2" lift is a nice amount, you increase the ground clearance, but its low enough your CV's are fine without a diff drop kit. You could probally get a way with just changing springs, but while your in there do it all. I reccommend the OME springs from ARB, probally 881's will give you the height you want. 880's are the same stiffness, just shorter. Talk to the guys at www.toytec.com and they should be able to tell you what is best for what you want, also search around here tons of info.

3) BFG A/T's, if you hunt a lot I would get a LT in a load range D. They are a little stiffer than stock but MUCH stronger, which is what you want on the back roads. The more sidewall you have, as with a larger tire, the softer the ride will be. Also the OME springs will provide a nice ride.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:25 AM

John, thanks for the reply and for your service to this country, do aviators these days still wear watches big enough to match their ego's??...LOL-old joke, sorry but we had them so big that you almost had to re-run CG when you strapped on an aircraft...

I found a set of OEM wheels cheap enough and am planning on Cooper ATRs 265/70/16. Any chance of them catching the rear fender lip on a big bump with a heavy load? Or rubbing in the front?

I'll probably do some sort of suspension lift. If the tire/wheel combo are OK at to rubbing, I may just want to pick the rear up a little, 1" would be fine. I was looking at this kit:
http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...roductID=87033

I think this is only the rear parts, Correct? If so, could I just put in one of the spacers to pick up an inch in the rear? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, I'm new at this!!!

Doug
Old 11-06-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doug S
John, thanks for the reply and for your service to this country, do aviators these days still wear watches big enough to match their ego's??...LOL-old joke, sorry but we had them so big that you almost had to re-run CG when you strapped on an aircraft...

I found a set of OEM wheels cheap enough and am planning on Cooper ATRs 265/70/16. Any chance of them catching the rear fender lip on a big bump with a heavy load? Or rubbing in the front?

I'll probably do some sort of suspension lift. If the tire/wheel combo are OK at to rubbing, I may just want to pick the rear up a little, 1" would be fine. I was looking at this kit:
http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...roductID=87033

I think this is only the rear parts, Correct? If so, could I just put in one of the spacers to pick up an inch in the rear? Any other suggestions?

Thanks, I'm new at this!!!

Doug

Yeah, my watch isnt super huge... but some are silly... In fact just tonight we were standing outside compaing indiglo capibilities

That lift is front and rear. The spacers with the slots are the front spacers. I would check out the pro comp site to see how tall the spacer is.

That size tire is what came OE on many 4runners, it will not be an issue unless you change rims to something with a silly offset.

Do you fly?

Last edited by AH64ID; 11-06-2006 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:52 AM

John, or anyone;

I did a little checking under my truck, figured I better get a good understanding of what is there and what I want to accomplish before I go any further. I'm no stranger to cars being a motorhead in my younger days but that was when a 327 was my favorite motor..LOL lot's have changed.

You said above that I could go as large as 265/75/16 and not have rubbing..I did a little measuring and it seems like the front would rub on the frame with the steering turned full over..I like the idea of extra rubber so If you think I'd be OK with the 75's let me know.

Depending on how the tires fit, I'll probably do a little lifting, I had a 2nd generation and it was higher and I liked it better. Probably do 1" in the front and 1.5-2 in the back with coil spacers(unless you have a better Idea). Question is shocks, I'll change them at the same time, do I need special ones due to the lift? Either way, I don't want the ride any harsher than it is, what do you recomend?

I flew until 96, then my business carreer took off, my kids needed time, my eyesight decended as did my time for weekend commitments so I packed it in. I'm semi-retired now and once I get a few personal projects finished I'm planning to get back into some GA, next summer I hope.

Thanks
Doug
Old 11-09-2006, 03:32 AM

I am not sure about rubbing the frame or not... for that and the question about the shocks I would do a search.

For the rear springs there are several popular options, spacers being one.. others being Performance Product or OME springs.

I personally dont have a 3rd gen, so I would search and see what you find. There is a ton of info out there.

Yeah flying takes a fair portion of ones time but it sure is fun I must say Afghanistan is a very beautiful rugged country, and its sweet to fly at 500 feet
Old 11-09-2006, 03:46 AM

Yeah, almost everyplace looks pretty nice @ <500ft and >150knots, especially when there are hills around. Always liked popping over a ridge and getting that first look at something new. That and scud running were always fun for me..zipping up through a glory hole was like taking a hot shower, everything looked clean and right with the world...

I'll do a search and I hope someone who is running these tires chimes in, I'd hate to drop money on the tires and have an issue.

Thanks
Doug
Old 11-09-2006, 04:12 AM

Doug when I bought my 01 it came with the 16 inch wheels and 265/70r16 tires, and I put 265/75R16 on it and had no rubbing issues under normal driving I didn't take thru any real rough stuff the most was some whoops @ an off road park entrance. It looked like there was alot tire in the wheel wells. I did install the PP Lift springs and got almost 2 inches of height out of it I think my springs had a good sag on them.
Here's stock springs with 265/75/r16 on...

After with the same size tires and the PP Lift springs...

More pics click link in Sig
Old 11-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

I would stick with the 15" wheels, unless you just want 16"s. tires are alot cheaper for 15"s and i would go with 31x10.50, but if you want to with 16"s 265 75 16 will rub under extreme conditions, if your not worried about stuffing the biggest tire you can under your truck i would stick with 265 70's, there are plenty of great tires in that size, btw bfg all terains are great tires, just alot rougher ride than most other tires (3ply side wall)
good luck!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:17 PM
SRB

I would reccomend leaving the 265/70's on and get the budbuilt skidplate to go to the rear of the transfer case! You'll have more functionality than a 3" lift by being able to literally slide over obstacles. No suspension alteration and a bulletproof undercarriage. Many yota' owners have this and swear by it's performance. another idea for you!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:55 AM

I am new to the site and have a hard time finding some of the information around the site. i figured this would be the best place to ask my question. i have a 99 4runner with a 3 inch revtek spacer kit on it and i and getting ready to buy tires. i am looking at 285x70 r16. how much rubbing am i looking at?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM

Are they 285/70/16 or 285/75/16? I have not seen 285/70's before, but you would have much less rubbing with them as they are 5% smaller than a standard 285. From what I gather the rubbing is at full compression at the pinch weld, and depending on your wheel at full turn on the frame.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM

thanks for the advice, now that i think about it they are 285x75 R16. with those tires how much rubbing at that pinch weld.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

285/75/16 will not clear on factory suspension, you will rub the frame, as well as the upper control arm (with factory wheels) when you hit a bump the tire will bulge into the upper c-arm. you are pushing it with 265/75's. big tires are useless if you can not utilize your suspension, unless your just going for looks.
good luck!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by TX-BLKRUNNER
big tires are useless if you can not utilize your suspension, unless your just going for looks.
good luck!
Thats a very true statment. When I get my new truck in the spring I am sticking to 265/75's so that I can still clear chains... it is very important to still be able to use it for what you need...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 AM

i have a 3 inch revtek suspension lift on it and i am putting the 285x75's on a 16x8 rim.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4runner99
i have a 3 inch revtek suspension lift on it and i am putting the 285x75's on a 16x8 rim.
You will rub with that setup, unless you never leave the pavement....
Old 11-15-2006, 08:14 PM

what is the backspacing on your rims? i just got 285/75/16's on my truck and if i didnt have my body lift i would rub on the frame. also, without new wheels i would have also rubbed on the upper control arm, ive read a lot about this and it's weird because some people won't rub. it seems to be random.

just a side note, i couldn't find black steelies locally at 4.25" bs so i went with 4.5". now ihave to look at aftermarket mud flaps and/or fender flairs.

alex
Old 11-16-2006, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks, this site is a welt of info if you just spend the time to dig-(search)-through the threads and associated links. I've been spending about 2 hours a night just searching and reading and now know more than I wanted to, and I'm not done...LOL..kind of addicting..

I'm going to go with the 265/70/16's, Cooper ATR's. My goal was to get the truck up a little and improve my street ride some. The new tires and wheels should give me 1.5", I'll need another inch in the back to level it-(with my gear, full tank of gas and my big butt it's an inch low in the back)-I'll probably put a spacer in the rear. I 've been taking note of how it rides, seems the anoying part is comming from the rear so new shocks are also in order. Then I try that for awhile and see how it goes. Other reasons not to go bigger for me is the chance of rubbing and the loss of power, these trucks are anything but overpowered.

Doug
Old 11-18-2006, 06:43 PM

right now i have 5.5 backspacing on the rims but i can still take them back. Will those work or should i take them back and get 4.5 backspacing?

Quick Reply: 01 Questions, Tires, Wheels, Lift