Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01-04 Tacoma info

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01-04 Tacoma info

Ok so my 4runner is still doing great for me but I'm thinking its time for a new(er) truck. It will be a daily driver so I need good for a truck mpg and reliability, and I also like speed so that narrowed down a few choices. I was looking at the Dakotas and the Tacomas but honestly the reliability and mpg just arent there for me with the Dakota - and yes I have personal experience to back up that statement. So now its on to the 2001-2004 3.4liter double cab Tacomas. I've been searching all day and have all the stock (factory) specs figured out but Im not seeing many clear answers to the questions that are popping up in my head. So if you can give me some good info, or even links to specific threads, that would be great!
1) Anything to really look for when buying? avoid? I dont mind higher miles up to 120K if the price is right and they are confirmed easy miles.
2) what is the stock performance really like? From a driver that hits the highway and likes to have a little fun when driving is the power there in stock form?
3) Actual MPG? I read 17-19mpg from the factory, is that what I can really expect?
4)What worth while mods should I consider? Exhaust and the deckplate seem to be the most popular, any others that are worthwhile for a daily that is still goign to retain some mpg? Headers? Chip? Suspension? I've been around high performance for quite a while and have a pretty realistic view of it but dont know how well the 3.4 responds to mods. (keep it limited to N/A, Im not looking for boost on a daily driver sipping 87 octane).

Thanks for any and all responces!

-Sefus
Old 01-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sefus
Ok so my 4runner is still doing great for me but I'm thinking its time for a new(er) truck. It will be a daily driver so I need good for a truck mpg and reliability, and I also like speed so that narrowed down a few choices. I was looking at the Dakotas and the Tacomas but honestly the reliability and mpg just arent there for me with the Dakota - and yes I have personal experience to back up that statement. So now its on to the 2001-2004 3.4liter double cab Tacomas. I've been searching all day and have all the stock (factory) specs figured out but Im not seeing many clear answers to the questions that are popping up in my head. So if you can give me some good info, or even links to specific threads, that would be great!
1) Anything to really look for when buying? avoid? I dont mind higher miles up to 120K if the price is right and they are confirmed easy miles.
2) what is the stock performance really like? From a driver that hits the highway and likes to have a little fun when driving is the power there in stock form?
3) Actual MPG? I read 17-19mpg from the factory, is that what I can really expect?
4)What worth while mods should I consider? Exhaust and the deckplate seem to be the most popular, any others that are worthwhile for a daily that is still goign to retain some mpg? Headers? Chip? Suspension? I've been around high performance for quite a while and have a pretty realistic view of it but dont know how well the 3.4 responds to mods. (keep it limited to N/A, Im not looking for boost on a daily driver sipping 87 octane).

Thanks for any and all responces!

-Sefus
1) If you want 4wd, get one with the TRD package: it comes with the e-locker. VERY nice to have.

2) With 190hp stock, if you stay with the stock wheels and tires, or don't put anything bigger than 265's on there, you have plenty of gitty-up. Do a deckplate and ISR mod, and you'll get 8-10 hp extra. I have never found my truck to be lacking. It's no race car, but it's no dog.

3) Before going to 285's, my average mileage was close to claimed. Generally, 16-18. (Now, I'm running 285's, so I'm getting more like 15-17... )

4) I wouldn't bother with headers or a chip, unless your gonna go all out and put a supercharger on it. Well, MAYBE headers, but I would say outside of headers and exhaust, there are no "worthwhile" mods that give more bang for the buck than the deckplate and ISR mods.

Now, go get one and join the DC club!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you want 4wd or 2wd? If 2wd then get a prerunner. I get 20 mpg highway. Doublecabs might be slightly less. I have had it for 2 years and have not had any problems what so ever. You should have no problem finding one with less than 75K miles but they do hold their value. And if its not fast enough for you then get a s/c. Going from my 3.slow in my 4Runner to the Tacoma is amazing. More than enough power for me.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:28 PM

Guys that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2007, 08:22 PM

i have a 03 DC 4wd trd 3.4, the best i've gotten is about 20mpg and worst around 13mpg but thats on the trails. i'm running a pretty much stock tire size, but heavier front and rear bumpers so it adds a little weight. i've got the deck plate mod but i don't think that does anything for mpg. this is my 2nd taco with the 3.4 and i love them. i put 215k miles on my last one, a ext cab 5 spd and i got 23mpg a couple times, but it had taller gears. the problem with the DC's is that you can only get an auto.

good luck
Old 01-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber

4) I wouldn't bother with headers or a chip, unless your gonna go all out and put a supercharger on it. Well, MAYBE headers, but I would say outside of headers and exhaust, there are no "worthwhile" mods that give more bang for the buck than the deckplate and ISR mods.
I went with headers before I was supercharged and they didn't do anything. I wouldn't install them again unless I was supercharged - but even then I would hesitate as they are kind of a pain (and noisy). CJ is spot-on with the deckplate, ISR, and exhaust mods. Aside from that you are going to need to supercharge and then you are getting into big $$ (fuel/timing/tranny mods).

Since the DC's are all autos in this year range, you won't be smoking anybody at stoplights, but you will get where you need to go with no problems. I had a 98 Taco with the 3.4 and an auto trans and it was too sluggish for me, but I have extremely high expectations and a very heavy right foot. That thing NEVER let me down though. It was bulletproof.