86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

thatsmyYOTA89's 1989 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thatsmyYOTA89's 1989 Pickup Build-Up Thread

This is my first post on here, but I've been steadily reading. I have a 1989 Pickup Ext. cab with 176276 on body and original 22RE. The 22RE will get ya everywhere but not in a hurry by no means. I've been daily driving this truck now for about 2 years with no real problems just the usual oil leaks. I picked up a 2WD 1996 Tacoma from a friend of mine today for $300 with a 2RZ FE with 200,000+ miles. It was kind of a runaround for a tow truck driver. Had a guy that was supposed to pick it up friday around 4 and never got a call. The guy lived down the street from my uncle so he went down there and the guy said he would get it first thing in the morning on Saturday. Waited around for a phone call till about 2 and then I called my uncle and he got his hands on a car dolly. The Tacoma was in a one car accident when he hit black ice. Body-wise the truck is pretty messed up but the engine ran strong before and is not harmed. I have pictures, just have to get the right cord to upload them I plan on cleaning up the 2RZ, putting in new gaskets all around, fresh fluids, and riding out. Once thats done, the duece duece will be rebuilt and preped for install incase of all hell breaking losseee!!!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM

Pics are finally up, sorry that took forever. My mom got a new camera and I decided to take some new ones. My neighbor and some friends of mine should be dropping the 2RZ motor and W59 tranny out of the Tacoma this week. Then its time to cleaner up and get it fresh. I dont particularly like body lifts but I think I'm going to try to find a 1-2'' body lift and get my leafs redone for either 32x10.5 or 33x10.5

12 yr old 31's
[IMG][/IMG]
85 rear bumper fron pickNpull

22RE
[IMG][/IMG]
wrecked 96 Tacoma
[IMG][/IMG]
2RZ ran strong before accident
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-26-2011, 11:35 AM

did a tune up the other day fresh plugs, wires, distributor cap n rotor. 22re runs a lot better now. waiting on a paycheck to buy body lift
Old 03-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey That's........your Yota! lol, ...nice to meet ya.

Welcome to Yotatech, and nice 89! Me Likey! Sorry bout the Tacoma Wreck!

Any other plans besides body lift? You're not swapping the 2RZ into the 89, are ya? Not saying it's a bad idea, just curious. Don't think you need a Body lift to fit 32's, maybe even 33's, just need a lil trimming and hammering on the pinch welds, from what I've been told.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:15 PM

hahaha thanks! i mean that was a plan to go with the 2RZ but not sure if im gonna go through with it. it would give me a little more power and about the same gas mileage so that could be OK. the Tacoma and 2RZ kinda fell in my lap and i had been thinking about a swap for awhile. i had seen the 2RZ run and she was pretty strong. i was gonna go 4.3 vortec but i priced everything from advance adapters and its a little outta my price range for right now. i really want to go with 33x10.50 BFG All-Terrains. mostly gonna be going on the beach with the occasional trail munchhh. the reason i want the body lift is because i dont want to stuff 33's i want some flex room. im probably going to get an add-a-leaf and i already have shackles that arent currently on just gotta decide what to do with the IFS
Old 03-28-2011, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanted to toss a 3RZ / 2RZ in my 94 Xcab 22RE but found limited information on such swap. If you plan on doing such I would appreciate a good account of what all you ran into.

The reason I wanted to swap in the RZ is it produces the same HP factor as a built 22RE.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil

The reason I wanted to swap in the RZ is it produces the same HP factor as a built 22RE.
YEP! My buddy had one in his 96? pickup.... That thing was REALLY quick... Geared differently I'm sure, and a pickup, lighter, ....but it did have more power, no doubt, stock!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM

well here is what i know about the 22RE to 2RZ swap...the W56-C tranny that is on my 22RE works with the W59 bellhousing of the 2RZ and i believe they are the same length. and the engines are relatively the same size. another thing that i have to work out is that the exhaust and intakes are switched from the 22RE and 2RZ. the gas tank is also on the opposite side. i gotta see how the exhaust will get run, because my transfer case is (if your looking at the truck from the front) on the left and thats where the exhaust for the 2RZ comes down. i'm sure an exhaust place around here can work something out though. i should be getting a check tomorrow so i can order some parts!
heres a link to marlincrawler they know there isshhhhh http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4401.0
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 PM

well i had a helluva night. went and picked up my friend from work at 11 and we were on the way back to drop him off and about a half mile from his house and a mile from mine i was at about half to 3/4 throttle going into 4th roughly 35ish she seized and stopped running. i saw more lights on in my dash then i knew i had. got her pushed into a shell station tried to get her to run and she sounded like she wanted to roll over and crank but just couldnt get there. turned on just my accessories and we couldnt hear my fuel pump clicking but we could smell gas? we had to wait an hour+ for the fist tow truck driver (who was sent to the wrong station) to tell us he had been taken off this call and we would have to wait another 45 minutes for a new tow truck driver. by this time i could have pushed it back to my house! this is the first time she has ever let me down so im hoping its an easy fix. anybody have any suggestions? would really appreciate it. this is my DD so im kinda screwed for work tomorrow

[IMG][/IMG]

on a lighter note i got paid today so i should have the money to fix w/e the %$#@ is wrong. i know i need a new pitman and idle arm on top of this.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 PM

Just to be clear, ...

* It's turning over, normally, I.e.; The starter function is fine?

* You're not noticing fuel pump action.... double check via the book asap, and maybe; Key on- open the AFM flap by hand and if it's quiet where ya are, you should hear the pump turn on.

I'm pretty sure it's more common for the pump to just 'FAIL', period, than slowly go out. Maybe a hose to it or from it was obstructed and blew one of the soft lines off or blew a hole in one?(<<< pertaining to the smell you're catching?)

Man, sorry to hear, man.... strange on the "dash lighting up like Christmas!"

Anyway, need to know what the power situation is, is it cranking, etc.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM

the truck is back up and running. it has been raining for the past 2 days here so i couldnt work and i couldnt really work on the truck cuz the garage is full. but got a cabana and set it up. so what happened was that a rivet on the new distributor button broke off and tore up the inside of my distributor cap. so i took em back to advanced n got refunded new ones ended up getting a new coil too. she still had the original toyota one in it!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:18 PM

WOOT!!!!! lol... So you're good to go?
Old 03-31-2011, 11:18 PM

yup i was driving around tonight. if i dont work tomorrow im going to pickNpull to look for something sweet and for some F150 seats for the pops. maybe i can find a solid front. the 85 i got the bumper off of had already been got. heard of an all import truck place about the same distance as pickNpull so i might try that place too if i can find it.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 PM

so we trailered the tacoma around to my neighbors house this afternoon and started taking it apart. took off everything on the front end we didnt need being as most is not salvagable so we had some fun with a sawzall. dropped the engine and tranny together thanks to my neighbor and my friends. gonna do the wiring tomorrow and clean up the 2RZ and do some test on it. kinda want to semi build and boost it

Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 PM

we got all the wiring harness' out today and are going to get all the accesories off and labled tomorrow. the tacoma is about ready to go to the junkyard.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 AM

Humm, I would keep the taco until i finish the swap...
Old 04-05-2011, 08:54 AM

someone is interested in the rear end and its got some decent steelies on it so its def sticking around for awhile was just saying its about ready. gonna start working on the 2RZ here shortly. will have pics of everything up to this point
Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM

so I haven't really gotten much done with the 2RZ this past month but picked up some goodies this afternoon. I got a 4" bracket and knuckle lift kit for the front, steering stabilizer, complete set of 35x12.50 BFG Mud-Terrains on some DEEP 15x12 steelies, and a rear sliding glass window. Next thing I'm going to do when I get some more money is to get my leafs redone while the front lift and shackles get put on. Going to leave the 35's off until 2RZ is in
Old 05-12-2011, 09:48 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 AM

Thats nice bro. Keep us updated. I want to see more. hehe

Quick Reply: thatsmyYOTA89's 1989 Pickup Build-Up Thread