86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
One of the hold ups on getting the wrecked truck home has been waiting to get a friends 2000 Ranger motor swapped out. He thought he had a blown head gasket or bad valve. We pulled the head and not sure what happened but the exhaust valve face was missing and no piston on the rod. Truck was still running and smoking badly. It cracked the cylinder so block was ruined.
Name:  20170112_174249_zpsi2jddqxb.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  275.5 KB

He did get a great replacement motor. It was a '98 model with only 37,000 miles on it and was well taken care of.The original owner of the truck that the motor came out of was an old man that wrecked it. To bad you cant find motors and trucks like the old man that had it previously. We got the motor swapped out and this truck is running great. When the other motor blew, it filled the exhaust full of oil and was dripping out of the muffler after getting it running. Trucked smoked for about an hour after the motor swap but is running great now.
Name:  20170112_174020_zpsd2mapcdy.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  241.0 KB
Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

If all goes well, I will be getting the wrecked truck home on Wednesday. In the morning going to see if the tires will hold air and see about getting the trailer to it. I dont plan on this build being more then a month if it is fixable. If it is not fixable, I plan on putting the cab and motor on a 4x4 frame. I really want to just fix it as a two wheel drive and sell it to fund my 76 Ford build. I already have some friends and other people I know that would like to have it if I get it fixed. Really dont like to sell to friends and family as I will go thru it and get it in much better shape but not going for the new look. Just want it get it sold to get on my 76.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Missing piston? Still wrist pin? MISSING PISTON? That was prolly interesting to listen to.

Good luck getting wruck up and going quick, cheap and well, we already know it'll be well-done.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Hab... I wonder why Ford installed the motor without all 4 pistons, lol.. It ran better then you would think it would. To bad it scored the block and it is ruined. I got the wreck home today. Started cleaning it up for me and at least my oldest to start working on it.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the wreck home. I have pulled out 8 bags of trash from the cab and bed. It was a mess. Our trash truck ran yesterday so it will be a week before I can get rid of the trash, urghh!!! When bringing it home, I did stop by the car wash and spent $5 on cleaning it as best as I could. Found a few more dents then I had not seen before but still the truck is cleaning up good so far. I have not pulled the bed liner just yet. A bed liner can save a bed or ruin a bed. The bed liner goes over the top and from looking underneath the truck the bed appears to be in great shape.

I am ready to get started on it and see what the damage is but my oldest son is at school and I am waiting for him to get home. He is really looking forward to working on it and I think he is wanting to use the impact and cut off saw to cut off any damage parts that may be needed so I am just cleaning the truck. Only real rust I see is on the rocker panels. Paint actually looks great for it year and over all the truck has not been hacked up. It seems to have all of the tools for the jack and the bag they come in. Also has all 4 center caps. It is missing 3 beauty rings for the rims. Just wish I could find these trucks in this condition that are not wrecked. It is probably the least hacked up truck I have worked on other then the collision damage.

Drugs and Alcohol was the demise of this truck but looking at the steering I have not been able to find any frame damage or steering damage just yet. The owner told me it pulled to one side so I am hoping that is just in the steering. It is a very base model truck, no luxury of any kind. One of the most bare bones trucks I have ever bought. I do like the Japanese bed over the other style. First double latch tailgate I have owned.

In the shop and getting cleaner. Hope this evening I get to start tearing off some of the damage. Waiting for the brats to get home from school.
Name:  20170118_105116_zpswnnirqzr.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  232.2 KB

Name:  20161225_143437_zpsjczpqfcb.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  535.8 KB

Going to need this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-1984-86-TOYOTA-PICKUP-2WD-FRONT-BUMPER-CENTER-FACE-BAR-BLACK-SUPPORT-BRACKET-/171590790246?hash=item27f39bac66:g:K~0AAOSwAL9UkCQ s&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/87-88-TOYOTA-PICKUP-FRONT-GRILLE-DARK-ARGENT-2WD-SR5-NEW-HILUX-/201756062102?hash=item2ef9993196:g:ZQ8AAOSwa~BYUJJ d&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-23-2017 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

My oldest got home from school and we started pulling the front end out. He was looking forward to working on it. We had to use the 3rd gen for an anchor, a bottle jack and a section of 2x4, and other things for pulling the core support out. The drivers side was the worse and think we have it really close.

Before Picture
Name:  20161231_114248_zpshwn3uztz.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  418.4 KB

Another Before Picture
Name:  20170118_160925_zpslhfxv5rt.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  272.2 KB

Here is what we got it to when done. I think if we had a new grill and bumper, it would just look like cosmetic damage. We will need to replace the Core Support which I do have one and will try getting swapped out when he gets home from school today. While he is at school I will try to figure out the fuel problem. It is running if I prime the carburator, but not from the tank. I will start with fuel pump and then start working my way back.
Name:  20170118_174241_zpssxbl9bya.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  202.4 KB

Here is the 3rd Gen as an anchor and Justin getting his hands dirty.
Name:  20170118_161955_zpssbxbgnou.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  256.6 KB

The Drivers side was tilted worse then the passenger side. May not show in picture but it is tilted back quite a ways.
Name:  20170118_174403_zps25htys3t.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  242.3 KB

Here is the Drivers side corrected.
Name:  20170118_174434_zpsgs7p6e5l.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  262.4 KB
Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Amazing how good those upper fender lines look compared to how shoved back the hood was. Did the hood supports collapse and crease or seperate from the adhesive? It's great to hear that you had it running even if not completely on its own, soon you'll have it self sustaining and down the road to a second Life. I know they can't all be saved but even the really bad Yoda I hate to see go off to the scrap pile, even while I am pulling parts off them I think of saving them and know it isn't cost effective.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Co 94 PU... The hood supports did seperate and I will need to replace the hood as it has two major dents in it that I wont be able to get corrected. I will show it in a picture below. I was able to get the hood in good enough shape to use it to help get the Core Support in it proper position. I will still need to replace the Core Support as it is bent out of shape and I defintely can not get it corrected. My son and I am planning on getting it replaced tonight if all goes well. We still need to get the passenger fender and core support fixed.

I dont think I am going to be able to save the drivers fender but it is in good enough shape to get everything lined up. One thing I wanted to show is you dont always want to go ripping off the bad parts right away and try to line things up with good parts. Use the damaged parts for things that you can damage before installing the good parts. I too feel bad scraping a truck. I have scrapped 3 trucks and those just were beyond saving. When I scrapped them, literally I kept all the good parts. It as all junk that went to the scrap heap. Later on I will show that I did keep a good core support from one of the trucks that I scrapped. One of the core supports is on my 86 Runner and the other one is going on this truck.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Justin is getting attached to this truck. I let him know I bought it to fund my 76 build. Not sure if he is determined to keep it but will see how much effort he wants to put into it. He is nearly 15 and is getting the drivers license itch. I originally plan on just getting it good enough shape to sell. There is quite a bit that would be good to teach him on this truck and a few things I could use it to show some things different about a 2 wheel drive. One thing this truck does not have is AC. A truck without AC can have a dirty heater core. All the trash that goes from the blower goes straight to the heater core. That requires taking the dash out and my best time is 4 hours from start to finish. It is a big job.

This truck is a 4 speed transmission and I know where a 83 Celica transmission is and they are a direct fit and is a 5 speed. Not sure if I want to do that just yet but it will help pull the mileage up on one of these trucks. It does need at least a slave cylinder and possibly a clutch. There is enough body work on this truck that would not be overwhelming for Justin to learn and do and just enough mechanical work for him to learn on. Not sure how far this build will go. I am really more interested in getting on my 76 but have been enjoying working with Justin and getting shop time with him and he is learning.

I worked in a body shop and it is nice having all the equipment for pulling body damage out but I dont have a million dollar shop so having to make due with what I have. The lower part of the core support got against the radiator but not into it and did not damage it. We cut a hole into and and got the core support to where it should be using the 3rd Gen and a Come Along.
Name:  20170119_092021_zps9kgtbehh.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  287.9 KB

Another common problem with these trucks is the broken antenna. I have a fifty cent fix for it that is better then the factory and I have it posted on my other builds. We will fix it today or tomorrow.

I am not going to be able to fix this hood as it has two deep dents in it. It did work good enough to help get the front sheet metal lined up. We will need to replace the hood and core support.

Any truck without AC is going to have a dirty heater core. This is a big job to clean or swap out a heater core. I will show why at a later time on this build on why a dirty heater core. A reason you could have low or no heat on a Non AC truck.
Name:  20170119_093031_zpsgjyintvl.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  289.9 KB

Currently I have to jump the starter and prime the carburator so I am working on the Click Only start using RADs fix and seeing if it is a bad fuel pump. For as long as it has sit, I am figuring I have a dirty tank issue.
Name:  20170119_092933_zpsvmxhhi9y.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  309.6 KB

If you look at the plug with eyes, mustache and a smile, the one you need to cut is the right side of the mustache as you are looking at it, hehe

What I am trying to show here is the thinnest little black wire with the red stripe is on the left. The wire on the right is the one you want to cut which is diagonally across from the red stripe wire. Going from Left, Top, Right and Bottom, it is the Right one. The wire that I cut and is where my pinky is going to get wrapped back up into the wiring harness and will not be used again.

I eventually want to run a kill switch inside the cab and to do the AFM and Battery Swap. I also have an 82 Supra AFM that I want to install when I do all of that. I feel this will fix the click only issue and Thanks Ray for taking the time to step me thru it.
Name:  IMG_20140510_134129_zpseneinyht.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  266.4 KB

To try and show how I have it and how it is routed, it comes off of the batttery with a 30 Amp Fuse connector, along fender well to the Starter Relay Plug. I have left the wires loose just for explanation purposes but did route it tighter and cleaner.
Name:  IMG_20140510_134213_zpsit0itcfm.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  247.0 KB[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-19-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM

I'm really enjoying the time in the shop with my oldest kiddo too, he isn't really into it as much but I'll take what I can get gladly. I'm sure he'd be more enthusiastic if it was an old hot rod, and his, but he's never been into the mechanical stuff really. I'm hoping he'll come around and see cars less as a disposable appliance. After he was insulted by an autoshop worker and felt he was being ripped off he has started to do his own oil changes, knows how to thread a sparkplug with out cross threading, and check for a bad coil on plug pack.

The youngest one attended the local college/tech-school for the bodywork program for awhile, but the instructer was a grouchy yelling type and kiddo just doesn't handle that very well. When I get to the rusty dusty bits I expect he will be interested.

niether one really has the patients to deal with stuck fasteners yet, none of us like coping with those I think and would be throwing tools also if we didn't know that's just going to make more work (finding them in the weeds) once we quit cursing the bloody knuckles.

​​​​...
That is a gnarly hole in the hood it wasn't obvious to me in the other photos.

The more time I spend on my 86 the more little things I notice also like you and the minor dents. I've been in and out of the tailgate dozens of times, used it for a work bench, changed out the weather strip ect and only yesterday noticed I am missing the pinch trim on one side while riffling in the cubbies for the toolkit.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Co 94 PU... I am being patient with my kids when they want to work on these trucks. When they have deal with someone like you mentioned, it could make them turn away from the mechanic field. I have dealt with frustrations of trying to find my tools and some times I spend A LOT of time explaining how a certain part operates where it would of been easier to do a quick explanation and had the job done in a few moments time. I am hoping that the time spent will keep them out of trouble in the future and show there are other things in life. They see what the results for the previous owner and this truck is.

I am waiting for Justin to get out of school so I am doing some of the more mechanical work and troubleshooting that I know he is not exactly into right now. The troubleshooting I have done so far is slow going. Last night, he actually could see some quick results of our body work and really we did make some great progress from where it was to where it is. I am going to see if he really wants to try and get all the dings knocked out when he gets home. He has helped do some in the past but I want him to know I dont want it to be all in bits of primer that it will be a full on body and paint work. We will see how that will go tonight.

When you get to looking, you will find hundreds of dings and dents. I think they multiply over night.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I did get it running. Normally when I get a field truck, I would not start as quick as I did. The previous owner had let it sit and when I talked to him about buying it, he called me up and said it would run if primed. I really dont like to start one that has been sitting. The rings can freeze to the cylinder walls when sitting after a few years. The starter is powerful enough to break the seal between the ring and wall and usually will break the ring. The ring will come out between the cylinder and piston and gouge the cylinder wall. When it does that, you have to bore a motor if is not beyond repair. When I do find a truck that has been sitting, I will pull the spark plugs and let it soak in Marvel Mystery Oil for a week or so and then try and break the crankshaft loose with a wrench or socket.

I did get it running. Works one in a million times but seems like the mechanical fuel pumps will go bad from sitting. I tried to prime the fuel pump with a gear oil bottle and bypass the tank and was hoping it would get the fuel pump running. It did not do it this time. I did get a Import Direct fuel pump and Import Direct is a great brand and may even be a parts supplier for Toyota. It was identical to what I replaced.
Name:  20170119_121148_zpscvylmjpx.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  226.9 KB

Here is an Aisin Carb. So much more complicated then a Webber. Truck runs great but I am sure a tune up will help things out greatly as it is not perfect. I learned long ago before troubleshooting for minor issues to make sure all consumable parts are replaced and a tune up is in top shape. I have small issues to work on but at least it is running and I should be able to move it in and out of the shop shortly.
Name:  20170119_121252_zpsytnujx7b.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  335.1 KB

I will see what a complete tune up will do for it and if it fixes the issues I will leave the Aisin on it, mostly cause I dont want to pop the few hundred dollars for a Webber. Webbers make life so much easier. This is on my 88 Runner.
Name:  20170119_124232_zpsyt9v5dkb.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  339.5 KB
Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I do have a bad starter and I can get the starter to work by jumping it to the battery. If you think changing a starter on a 4 wheel drive is a pain in the rear, a 2 wheel drive has less clearance. I have some other starters and will be changing it out with one of them in the future. Waiting on Justin to get home and we will start on some more front end work.

When Justin gets home, I will have him to help me check and see if the Slave Cylinder is operating. I have seen those fail many times and hoping that is all it is. I really dont want to have to spend for a clutch. My luck it will be a bad clutch.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-19-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I do have a bad starter and I can get the starter to work by jumping it to the battery. If you think changing a starter on a 4 wheel drive is a pain in the rear, a 2 wheel drive has less clearance. I have some other starters and will be changing it out with one of them in the future. Waiting on Justin to get home and we will start on some more front end work.
I'm trying to stay occupied waiting also, #1 is due home for lunch soon then I can gauge what fabricating he's up for today (of course that could change based on how this afternoon at work goes) and #2 is still sleeping in on his day off.

We have an older sable that number two drove home after hitting some road debris that exploded the radiator tanks, it's been sitting for about two years with a blown head gasket. And housing a family of rodents, ew. He was really upset that we didn't have time to fix it the last time I was here. Momma says it's time it went away to the scrappers. I think it would make a good project for him and his brother for a lemon or maybe a derby car. Will have to see if they're interested in getting it back on its wheels still.

That reminded me of my starter issues, something I can fix for 0$, just need to put in the work. Weather station is reporting above 45 so I'll go find me a dry patch of dirt to work on it while I'm idling..

I still want to add a starter relay. Even if it's just an automatic trans and doesn't need the "starter crawl" the MT guys use sometimes. Automatic transmission ones have an extra switch in the line (neutral/park safety) which will as to the voltage drop from a pitted ignition. Being colorblind with the faded wire colors the mustache tip will stick with me better than "those colored wires".
Old 01-20-2017, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Co 94 PU... I tried my hand on front wheel drive cars and would not feel bad about making one of those a derby car. Years ago a friend and me made a convertible out of one as it was junk. It was fun just cutting the top off and using it to go to the lake and creek. Did not care about the interior getting wet or getting it dinged up when going in the fields. It was a blast. That would be one way for the kiddos to get some enjoyment out of it if it is scrapper bound. A sawzall will make quick work of it.

My eye sight is starting to fail and not as easy to see some colors on some of the wiring. I need glasses but am in a state of denial still. lol
Old 01-20-2017, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Justin got home and I showed him how to replace a slave cylinder and we did get it running and driving. I have to prime the carb to get it to start. When you pump the throttle, it will not shoots some fuel into the carb but once it is running, it runs great. I think it is the accelerator pump that is probably gummed up from sitting. Also I have a bad oil leak at the front of the oil pan or the oil pump.
Name:  20170119_160806_zpsumld1hpp.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  400.9 KB

I have bought two trucks in the past that the previous owner thought the clutch was out. To have a clutch replaced by a shop is about $650-750 around here and most dont want to spend that for an older truck. A good chance that it is just the slave cylinder that is bad. Not always, but a good chance. I will get an Aisin cylinder off of ebay but to get this truck moving I spent $12 from the local part store. Well worth it to have the truck movable. It seemed to drive straight but it does have a growl that seems to be in a wheel bearing. I only got to drive a 100 feet so still not sure what may be damaged. I can not find any steering or frame damage.

Check your slave cylinder if you have a possible bad clutch. Some will not do a simple check. This one would leak just pushing the pedal and not move the clutch lever.
Name:  20170119_161337_zpsiy0xcphf.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  220.0 KB

I saved this piece off of a truck I scrapped and we are using it to find all of the spot welds. We might get it installed tonight if all goes well.
Name:  20170119_150558_zpsdovothwd.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  232.7 KB

Justin liked learning how to drill out spot welds. Buy a spot weld cutter. It will make quick work of cutting the spot welds and is only about $6 for one at HF. You can drill them out with regular bits but it is a total pain in the rear using a drill bit.
Name:  20170119_172318_zpsvsjrepew.jpg
Size:  241.7 KB

Here is the drain hole from the cowl. A tell tale sign of a dirty cowl and cause of rear fender rust is debris sitting inside the fender well. Also a sign of a dirty or clogged AC Evaporator or Heater core if truck does not have AC.
Name:  20170119_162936_zpsdxbw1iyl.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  234.2 KB

Here is what I am talking about. This is from a truck with no AC and the right is dirty. No heat was coming out of it. A good cleaning will fix the no heat problem but you have to pull the dash. The one on the right is dirty. A new one is on the left.
Name:  heatercore2.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  120.7 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170119_160806_zpsumld1hpp.jpg (400.9 KB, 49 views)
20170119_161337_zpsiy0xcphf.jpg (220.0 KB, 42 views)
20170119_150558_zpsdovothwd.jpg (232.7 KB, 61 views)
20170119_172318_zpsvsjrepew.jpg (241.7 KB, 55 views)
heatercore2.jpg (120.7 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-20-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

We got the damaged core support off and was working on the replacement core support and I have 8 spot welds left to remove before I have the replacement core support ready to install and I broke the spot weld cutter. That put a hold on it until tomorrow until I can get another cutter. I showed Justin how to do some hammer and dolly work and in some ways I think he did a little better then I do. Maybe I just over think it and he just goes hammering away at it. For the damage that was done, I think it turned out really well. Will have to wait and see how the new core support winds up fitting.

I bought myself a welder for Christmas and it is still in the box. Will be looking forward to both of us getting to use a top brand welder over the little welder that I have been using. Justin has been liking all the different little fixes this truck needs and has a variety of everything to learn on. Been great learning experience for him and in some cases I get to sit back and let him do the work. heheh

Hammering and dolling away.
Name:  20170120_170825_zps9crkwkfk.jpg
Size:  289.6 KB
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

5 fixes that I do know that need done.

I did find that I am getting power at the Starter Solenoid but not down to the starter. Probably a broken wire,

The Accelerator pump is not functioning on the carb so I am going to see if I can find a way of getting it to work with out having to rebuild the carburetor. Really not looking forward to that.

I do have a bad leak at the oil pan or oil pump.

Broken Antenna which is an easy fix.

A growl coming from the wheel somewhere or at least that is where I think it is coming from.

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-20-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you fix the broken antenna? I planned on putting a slightly larger diameter pvc pipe around the broken part, but was curious how you do it.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:09 AM

Good morning to our host, and my fellow spectators.

I'm watching for the antenna problems and fixes also. I don't know if mine was replaced with the newer hidden style ones or just has a broken off wire lingering behind the outer fender. I was trying to explain how a broken off antenna still functions better than no antenna at all and that we could only pick up two stations and wouldn't you know it we just happened to be close enough to the city to pick up a few more.

Metal work is very rewarding, and fun for me to watch!

Terry is that compressor in the background the one you use to paint with or is there a larger one somewhere else?

I neglected to bring my body hammer set, might get HF to ship one out, I should have known better than leave it.. We have a new project on the list. #2 kiddo collided with the mailbox post (post is drill pipe and very well buried), the post won didn't even budge but collapsed the door right along his upper body line and it's going to need dolly work not a simple push out of the collapsed flat panel. He also has hail damage and wants to respray. Pushing out hail damage shouldn't be to bad, if they aren't that deep the paint usually stays adhered if you go slow with a wide flat dolly. #1 might be interested in fabricating a jaw extension for a large vise clamp, it's a specialized tool for that sort of dent consisting of a single plate type foot on one side and a two plate foot on the other arranged so the single plate bridges the two plate side. The non old school tool is a little different and doesn't work both sides, so you have to be sure not to push the dent out the other side or you'll have to hammer it back down to get it smooth.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread