86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Well i originally bought my 1986 Toyota 4Runner on May 6th 2010. I wanted to treat myself to a nice beater. Soon i fell in love with the thing. She was running (very poorly, almost every cylinder had a missfire). I got the 22RE engine paired up to a 5 speed manual. She had 243,9XX on her when i bought her. Here are some pics from the day i brought her home. Note the fender rust, it is the only rust on the car, no interior rust, no frame rust, it is a solid 4Runner.

The next day i went out and bought some injector cleaner, spark plugs, spark plug wires, oil and an oil filter. After replacing the plugs, wires and changing the oil, and adding the injector cleaner, she ran great!!

I then noticed the belt squeal. I drove her like that for a week until the belt squeal became unbearable, i changed the serpentine and power steering belts and also adjusted the throttle cable.

Next it was time to address the rust issue. I took an angle grinder and ground out all the rust on the fenders and filled the rusty spots with bondo. I also replaced the old rusted passenger fender with a brand new one.

Then i had a little offroading fun, nothing too serious

On 6/2/10 I picked up a new front bumper and lower valance, as mine were smashed in from the previous owner. I now have 245,6XX miles on her.

Before:

After:

I shall be painting the 4Runner yellow soon! I'll keep this thread updated!

Last edited by Swimmerboy2112; 07-10-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Subscribed, ....GO GET EM, SWIMMER! lol. Looking forward to the progress updates!

Chef
Old 06-03-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Subscribed, ....GO GET EM, SWIMMER! lol. Looking forward to the progress updates!

Chef
Thanks man, there are still a lot of questions i have about, well everything lol. I shall address those when i get to them i suppose.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM

Don't be afraid to comment now people! I will take all suggestions into consideration.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:32 PM

Ok, well, ..........

I have been looking into the lifts for about 3 months. I had to wait, anyhow, because I decided to fully redo my motor, first.

I was thinking of going 4" lift, with Springs in rear instead of blocks, ....but now I'm leaning toward an Old Man Emu kit. Really good reputation, overall, from what I've read, and none of them go over 2.5" or so(Because they don't want to mess with the comfort of the ride too much or moving and welding things too much. 2.5", which is all I need to bring the rear back up and get 33x10.50x15's or maybe 32x11.50x15's on there, seems to be right for me). Comes with beefed up torsion bar replacements, new Steering Stablizer, New Rear spring PACK(heavy duty or medium), and longer shocks, front and rear, amongst a couple other things, for 900 for our trucks. Another thing to consider is that, supposedly, the OMEmu can be done by me, where as I don't really feel comfortable with some of the others, welding and cutting stuff, and often, drilling new holes for the shackles to come forward, etc. I think OME is at Rocky Roads dot org or something like that. The others are easy to find with google.

Some guys do the Zuk's, which are from a HIGHLY respected guy as well. I just don't want to cut and I really want to refresh my suspension, rather than just getting up the rear.

Some swear by Pro-comp lifts, Trailgear, Roughcountry and Wabbit, from WABFAB.org(?) has some really nice stuff, too. He's a member on here, btw. I'm choosing the OMEmu only because i want to refresh and also because i just seem to find less negative feedback about those, in comparison to Pro-Comp and some of the other HUGE companies. Wabfab knows his stuff, SERIOUSLY, and I would think his stuff is probably a lil less mass produced, etc., and he will stand by his stuff, just like OMEmu, I've heard, does as well.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-03-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
isnt the old man emu kit just really thick t-bars??? wouldnt that make the ride rough???
Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
no its not, backgate... the kit includes

torsion bars, shocks, SDORI BJ spacers, and leafs or coils depending on the truck.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh gotcha
Old 06-03-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BackGateYota92
isnt the old man emu kit just really thick t-bars??? wouldnt that make the ride rough???
Actually, everything I've heard leans toward "this is the most comfortable while versatile ride I've had in a while". Supposedly, it's VERY comfortable and more people seem to love theirs than complain....but what'do I know? lol. I think more than half of the serious Aussie guys use them, too. I'm not trying to sell him on anything, PROMISE! lol....Just trying to decide myself, in fact.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the build....so you're a swimmer? So am I...who do you swim for?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Great work so far.. your thread title is a bit misleading though. Filling rust spots and doing a tune up doesn't really constitute a "Build Up" thread imo. A restoration or breathing life back into an old ride thread but not a build thread. Good job working with what you have and doing it yourself.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Ok, well, ..........

I have been looking into the lifts for about 3 months. I had to wait, anyhow, because I decided to fully redo my motor, first.

I was thinking of going 4" lift, with Springs in rear instead of blocks, ....but now I'm leaning toward an Old Man Emu kit. Really good reputation, overall, from what I've read, and none of them go over 2.5" or so(Because they don't want to mess with the comfort of the ride too much or moving and welding things too much. 2.5", which is all I need to bring the rear back up and get 33x10.50x15's or maybe 32x11.50x15's on there, seems to be right for me). Comes with beefed up torsion bar replacements, new Steering Stablizer, New Rear spring PACK(heavy duty or medium), and longer shocks, front and rear, amongst a couple other things, for 900 for our trucks. Another thing to consider is that, supposedly, the OMEmu can be done by me, where as I don't really feel comfortable with some of the others, welding and cutting stuff, and often, drilling new holes for the shackles to come forward, etc. I think OME is at Rocky Roads dot org or something like that. The others are easy to find with google.

Some guys do the Zuk's, which are from a HIGHLY respected guy as well. I just don't want to cut and I really want to refresh my suspension, rather than just getting up the rear.

Some swear by Pro-comp lifts, Trailgear, Roughcountry and Wabbit, from WABFAB.org(?) has some really nice stuff, too. He's a member on here, btw. I'm choosing the OMEmu only because i want to refresh and also because i just seem to find less negative feedback about those, in comparison to Pro-Comp and some of the other HUGE companies. Wabfab knows his stuff, SERIOUSLY, and I would think his stuff is probably a lil less mass produced, etc., and he will stand by his stuff, just like OMEmu, I've heard, does as well.
I'm going to have to look into the OME lift. And yes i'm familiar with Wabfab.

Actually, everything I've heard leans toward "this is the most comfortable while versatile ride I've had in a while". Supposedly, it's VERY comfortable and more people seem to love theirs than complain....but what'do I know? lol. I think more than half of the serious Aussie guys use them, too. I'm not trying to sell him on anything, PROMISE! lol....Just trying to decide myself, in fact.
The OME sounds like a good lift, 2.5" is a good lift.

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Good luck with the build....so you're a swimmer? So am I...who do you swim for?
Thanks man! Yeah i'm a swimmer or eh was a swimmer, i had to stop because of a torn rotator cuff. I swam for Penn State though.

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Great work so far.. your thread title is a bit misleading though. Filling rust spots and doing a tune up doesn't really constitute a "Build Up" thread imo. A restoration or breathing life back into an old ride thread but not a build thread. Good job working with what you have and doing it yourself.
There is where you are wrong my friend, (no offense of course) I plan on building my 4Runner up quite a bit! Just slowly, a little at a time.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Congrats on the truck. I'm watching for more. You ought to go back to your first post, though and edit out your birthdate. That's TMI to be out here. I.D. theft...
Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nervo19
Congrats on the truck. I'm watching for more. You ought to go back to your first post, though and edit out your birthdate. That's TMI to be out here. I.D. theft...
Thanks man and yeah good call on the I.D. thing. More will be coming soon!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Picked out my color today, "Viper Yellow" the same color Dodge Vipers use.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 AM

anytime someone takes an old machine and puts some blood, sweat, and tears into it its a build . It could very easily went to the scrap yard if not for his build.

p.s. swimmer I told you green was the fastest color

Last edited by mfwimg82; 06-05-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by mfwimg82
anytime someone takes an old machine and puts some blood, sweat, and tears into it its a build . It could very easily went to the scrap yard if not for his build.

p.s. swimmer I told you green was the fastest color
Funny you mention that. The guy was going to scrap it so he could get a tax return but i bought it instead lol.

Oh and its yellow or nothing!!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Well it's almost painting time, i have a few questions…

I was originally going to use a friends paint sprayer to apply the paint, but yesterday I went to the paint store to get a price on paint and I did NOT like what i was told. They wanted $380 for paint!! I only paid $491 for the truck!! I was a bit torn on how to paint the truck until i did a little searching and saw that most people (on a paint budget that is) use the boat-paint-roll-on method. So my question to you guys is, should i just roll on some boat paint or should i "do it right" and spray on the $400 paint? Also when it comes to sanding the paint i assume i should wetsand it from 400 grit and go to higher and higher grits as i put a new coat on each time? For example paint, 400 grit wetsand, paint, 600 grit wetsand, paint, 800 grit wetsand, paint, 1000 grit wetsand, paint, 2000 grit wetsand. And also does this paint need clearcoat put on top of it or do you just leave it bare paint? Thanks for all your help guys! Let me know if i am forgetting anything.

-Swimmerboy
Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 AM

You can get paint cheaper not as good but better than rolling it on . if you use an acrylic enamel with hardner no need for clear coat check out this site http://www.paintforcars.com/kits_sunshineyellow.html

At this price it is ok to learn I would also order an extra quart of reducer mix it 2 parts paint 1 part reducer

Last edited by mfwimg82; 06-05-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 AM

220 or 320, clean surface, paint not that hard

Quick Reply: Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread