86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Staying Classic, Keeping a 1988 3.0 Pickup for life

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
It's painted!!

I just got it back today from paint!

They did a good job and followed my instructions like I wanted. Its not perfect, but once I let i dry for the next month or so I will do some sanding on the clear and try to get out the little bit of dust and a few other nit picky things that you will notice after spending this much time on something.

Here is a few pics from today. Cant wait to start putting things back together. Its really interesting how dark it looks in the shade and light in the sun, to be expected probably!

Last edited by mbomberz1; 08-15-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
The truck looks great, man, congrats.
I enjoyed reading your build- nice work!
Looking forward to seeing it all put back together.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:15 PM

Just about done getting it all back together, still a few little things to finish up like the pillar badges, cleaning up those dusty wheels and riviting my door jamb vin plate back on.

Got a brand new windshield put in after I finally bit the bullet and had a new set of chrome trim from Toyota delivered from toyotaonlineparts.com They were the cheapest place with no tax to CA and reasonable shipping. I had no idea that the black lining parts on the trim was actually soft rubber once upon a time! I'll have to see what I can do to try and keep this set from becoming rock hard and chipping off again.

I really was hesitant about putting that trim back on, Terry I read through all of your working replacing it with a gasket. But once I had the window should and old trim out I was lucky enough to have no rust under there. I guess the lack of rain has been good for something!

Can't wait to take it out on its first drive again. Have to get it smoged since it's been out of service since my registration was due before that can happen.

Thanks all who have followed along this far and for all the comments!

Last edited by mbomberz1; 08-15-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really like that paint job!
Old 08-21-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truck looks great, like the color choice. That wasn't a factory color was it?
Old 08-26-2016, 02:52 PM

Thanks guys, this isnt a factory color. The new color code is 7A1, its a Porsche color i found when searching for a nice gray that was not metallic.

Well Im going down to Pismo this weekend, going to head out to the beach on saturday and just day camp. I havent ever driven on the beach before so that will be a fun adventure. I have a small aircompressor, wondering how low to air down, from what I have read, somewhere around 15 should be ok. Though our trucks especially in stock form arent super heavy, so im curious If i will be ok to just take it slow with out airing down the 32x11.5s. Im not going to be driving in the dunes, looking to just find a spot to unload and spend the day relaxing on the beach. Any advice?

While getting the truck ready for the trip this weekend, i noticed my powersteering pressure hose is leaking, not from either fitting, but the hose itself seems to be seeping. Ordered up a new one, but it wont be here for a week or so, hope it doesnt blow out.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:41 PM

Really keep an eye on that hose. They don't last long when they leak from the middle. A local parts store like a bumper to bumper or NAPA may be able to make you one if you have what's left of the old one for reference.

Truck looks great, by the way. Good call on finding a color to match that isn't metallic. I know the paint to match mine is extremely expensive due to the metallic component. I may do the same thing you did when I get ready to paint.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:24 PM

Ok, I thought it looked like it wasn't metallic. I don't like metallic on classic cars or trucks, it makes them look to modern. I think the color you picked gives the truck a nice classic look, and nonmetallic colors are much easier to fix than metallic paints. As for air down at the beach I always leave mine at 40 PSI, and I live on the beach. I run 33x10.50 and don't have much issues if any (just seem inconvenient to air down). Being that your tires are wider than mine, you should be ok. I should add that both of my Toyotas have Aussi Lockers in the rear diff, but I suspect they would still do ok without .
Old 08-26-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Damn compared to my factory faded as heck paint, your paint job looks awesome!!! What lift are you running? Ball joint spacers?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:40 AM

First trip with the new truck complete, feels good to get some miles on it again. Well we had a good weekend down in Pismo, had no trouble on the beach. What a great way to spend the first weekend back in the old truck. Thanks for the tips on the sand and compliments on the paint! Got a couple of thumbs up on the drive. Feels good to have it back together and all cleaned up.

I have a 2" body lift on it, not really ideal but I really didnt want to get into the balljoint spacers. It helped quite a bit getting those headers in there with the extra room.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Well its finally time for the next step in the 88's life. Going to get the heart of a 99 4Runner. Hopefully everything lines up and the engine gets delivered by the end of the week. Picking back up my 3.4 Swap thread, will post most of the details and questions along the way there. WIll update the major things here.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160.../#post52336719

Please, feel free to stop by and let me know what im doing wrong!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks fantastic
Old 10-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get stated value insurance for your truck. no insurance company will pay out for the idiot that wrecks it. Get it appraised & document your costs. Don't be that guy that loses it all to someone texting & driving.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow...Congrats...!!!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by steven91
Looks fantastic
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by skypilot
Get stated value insurance for your truck. no insurance company will pay out for the idiot that wrecks it. Get it appraised & document your costs. Don't be that guy that loses it all to someone texting & driving.
That is some sound advice skypilot. I really have no idea what this truck is worth at this point. Will have to call up my insurance and see if they offer any type of Agreed Vale or Stated Value insurance. Have you gone through this before? Curious if I will have to pay for an appraisal or how that all works.

Originally Posted by morena67
Wow...Congrats...!!!
Thanks, glad that part is all over. I must say, this has changed my opinion of painting. No more fore me.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM

Little update, truck has been running good, a little too good. Almost like it knows something is up.

Picked up the 4Runner engine and after a leak down and compression test that turned up questionable results, some more investigation it turned out that it needed a rebuild. Long story short, I should have a like new engine ready to go into the old 88 by the end of this all. The engine rebuild is coming along pretty well, should be getting the block and heads back from the machine shop this week, then re-assembly begins. Not exactly what I was hoping for cost wise but it is hard not to also be excited about having a new 5vz under the hood.

The problem:

The solution:

Head on over to the swap thread and help me figure out these wires

Last edited by mbomberz1; 11-21-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:57 AM

Well I managed to finally finish rebuilding the 5vz, next up is getting the exhaust crossover reversed and CA legal

Old 11-23-2016, 09:28 PM

Noice!!
Old 11-24-2016, 05:05 AM
SKT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stumbled upon this thread.

Sharp looking truck from the few pics I could see. Seems a lot of the pics were not working though.

Absolute bummer to hear it was stolen, but definitely a miracle that it was recovered, especially without much damage or being completely striped.

Really like the way that soft-top looks on it!

Old 11-24-2016, 10:48 PM

Because the truck was stolen did they title end up becoming salvaged? Looks to clean to have a salvage title if so! haha

Quick Reply: Staying Classic, Keeping a 1988 3.0 Pickup for life