86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Sam's 87 4Runner "Dreamcatcher"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sam's 87 4Runner "Dreamcatcher"

Just picked up this 87 4Runner for $2400. 202k on the clock, 5-speed, 22RE.

Looks like the truck has lived most of its life in CO so it has moderate but reversible surface rust. There is no major structural rust on the frame or suspension. The rear quarters have some easily fixable rot.

I got out of the 4x4 game a while back when I got big in to rock climbing but now I'm looking to build a mild rig to access climbing that requires a 4x4. I also have plans on build a sleeping platform, gear storage, and quick kitchen on the rear tailgate.

Plans at this point are treat the rust issues and replace all fluids. It currently runs great but I like to know my fluids are fresh and all the systems are checked over.

After treating rust issues I would like to replace my exhaust with something larger diameter, add a leaf and ball joint spacer in the front, factory 4.88 gears, and add on some 32 inch ATs.

Some folks may scoff at 32s and 4.88s but this guy will spend a lot of time climbing grades and altitude and put putting around on fire roads. I don't need to go faster than 60 mph.

The name "dreamcatcher" has multiple meanings. First, I'm in to Native American stuff and I spend a lot of time where ancient people used to live. Secondly this truck is the steed that will literally help me achieve dreams of climbing routes that only are accessed by 4x4. I already know I'm a hippy guys...but bring it on!

Sam
Old 11-10-2016, 10:13 PM

Rust mitigation

Alright, on with the build. The truck has surface rust on the frame, axles, suspension, etc. The rear quarters have rot and the wheel wells have mild rust.

Step one is to drill some holes in the bottom of the frame rail. I can feel when I stick my finger in an access hole that 30 years of dirt roads have put a half inch layer of dirt in the frame rail that's going to hold moisture. After drilling some proper drain holes(which I will later plug with rubber stoppers) I'm going to hose out the inside til it's clean while the truck is on a steep incline or just car work ramps Then I was planning on running a leaf blower through the frame rail to accelerate the process of drying.

After that I got a $15 LED endoscope that's 16 feet long. I'm going to inspect the inside of the frame to know exactly where I stand.

Next step is to liberally apply some of the green Eastwood internal frame coating I just purchased. I will use the endoscope periodically to check for coverage of the product. Finally I have some fluid film I'm going to spray over that and hopefully I will be freaking done with inner frame rust. Did I mention I don't like rust?

For the outside frame, suspension, axles, I'm going to go medieval on it with wire brushes and wheels. Clean it up with some All Prep, and then blast it with some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. After that everything will get Fluid Filmed.

At this point I will probably want to take a break from rust and will leave the minor rot and body rust for the winter garage time.

Will post up pics of the process soon. Let me know if you have any suggestions or tips!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice Runner you have here. Cool story also. I can understand wanting to build something to take you on adventures. While I was reading you Post, It made me realize that a part of me misses my 1st gen 4runner for all the same reasons.

Cant wait to see more of the build.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Very nice Runner you have here. Cool story also. I can understand wanting to build something to take you on adventures. While I was reading you Post, It made me realize that a part of me misses my 1st gen 4runner for all the same reasons.

Cant wait to see more of the build.
thanks man! Progress is slow but Im glad she's mine.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:28 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Good to hear the inside frame coating is working well, post some pics up if you can and let us know how it goes, I'm considering doing the same thing to mine