86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rust bucket build up (flintstone) pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rust bucket build up (flintstone) pictures

Not really sure where to start but have an 86 pickup that's spent its life in Canada's north and its defiantly taken a toll on my little toy, last month decided to park it and start tying to fix the rust to enjoy for a few more years of Wheeling..

I knew that the truck has some rust but I never knew the extent of how bad it actually was..

Box is custom with fiberglass sides and a plastic bed liner was hiding that rust, need flat deck

Frame rot has been cut out waiting for an experienced welder to patch it

Next step was ripping out carpet and chop away

Here we go

Cab mount

Inner rocker removed

First patches 22 gauge mild

Next was to weld in new inner rocker and make new (bigger ) cab mount

Inner rocker plug welded in (doubled the number of plug welds from factory)

New cab mount fitted with more surface area for bad welds

Cab mount welded in (going to make straps to connect mount to inner rocker and tie it into the floors) plug welds inside of mount

More floor was added

Had to use washers on the bolt cause it was too long just needed it for mock up

All done

This is where I'm at today. I'm going to por15 up the fire wall with fiberglass to fill the few smaller dime size holes further up where welding would be harder then it already was, seam seal and rubber undercoat the ˟˟˟˟ outta it then spray it all dowm in oil and inside rockers with oil. Not going to be putting carpet in just a rubber coating for the floor or box liner? Please leave comments and think It would pass an inspection?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 AM

looks good

Last edited by N1YDP; 06-14-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by N1YDP
looks good
I agree, looks good as well. As long as the truck is structurally sound & sold, has all the required proper lighting and emission equipment is working properly, it should pass inspection.

Depending on what state you live in and the age of your yota, you may only need a visual inspection and for a quick lube place to drive your car around the block for them to say if it passed or failed. Over here in Texas, when any car hits 25 years of age, its considered a classic and will only require a visual inspection with a quick test drive.

In all, best of luck and post more pics.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 PM

Did some more work, got fiberglass for the last few holes in wheel well , used fiberglass mat not too happy with the way it turned out but if it keeps water off fuse box I'm happy haha was originally gonna use por15 instead of fiberglass resin but the price and whole process was daunting so just used rust converter And fiberglassed over top

Super bad cell phone quality but that is the patch

Same thing no flash sorry for bad pictures

Bell cranks were seized as well so they are soaking in rust remover 10$ better then hunting down nre cranks let's hope it works

Soaking in the juice

As she sits

And recently found out that my frame is made forba standard cab and one of the PO put a extra cab on it and moved the mounts back ans put short box on humm...
Old 06-12-2015, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I like seeing some deep builds. Looks like you are doing a great job on getting the rust out. Not sure how to go about and stick a new bed on the shorter frame. Looking forward to your build.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:49 PM

Just ground back 2 mounts off and the front 2 box mounts and then weld cab mounts further back I'm pretty sure eevrything is the same just a foot longer in the back. I never did it the previous owner did and some skechy welds and some nnicks in the frame or I would have never noticed
Old 06-12-2015, 02:51 PM

Trying to hunt down leafsprings have 2 more wreckers to try but no luck so far went to a shop to see of they could make me some and got quoted 800$ may as well buy 2 more toys for that haha
Old 06-12-2015, 02:55 PM

And sorry read that wrong the box was made custom in prince George BC or penticton BC but the metal rotted away leaving 2 fiberglass rear quarter panels. carried a dirtbike in it a few times then went I went to take it off truck I used a crow bar to pry it off toooo easy
Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 PM

Today got my buddy to weld up frame he's been welding for 5 years now so trust it more then my 4 hours. Also cleaned up bell cranks seems like it all should work. Next gotta build flat deck

Leafspring broke

Standard cab to extra cab