86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RBx 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Anytime! Anything I can do to get this diesel project going from the comfort of my living room 3000 miles away I'm happy to do.

Too bad it won't fit a 3rd gen. I should probably replace my radiator.

If you don't have 15 posts to make a thread let me know and I can start it for you.

Last edited by JBurt; 08-04-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 PM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I would keep the rad for the diesel swap but I need the coolant ports on opposite sides. This can be done on the top but not the bottom due to the transcooler being offset to the driver side.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Awsome rig!
Old 10-05-2016, 07:26 PM
RBX

Thanks, waiting on some parts from Australia to get the engine swap moving along.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
Thanks, waiting on some parts from Australia to get the engine swap moving along.
shipping from Oz must be spendy.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:31 AM
RBX

Originally Posted by dropzone
shipping from Oz must be spendy.
Well, it depends on weight and size of course, but parts are cheaper than sourcing from the UK where shipping should be a bit cheaper. I'm not ordering a big heavy order anyhow, so this shipment should be relatively cheap...ish.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Just finished reading through your build and I gotta say, most of the mods you have done/planned are amazing. I am impressed that you just jumped in and beat this truck into submission. Also pretty glad that your 3.0 has lasted this long. I know you said you hated it and it wasn't long for this world, but it has held up pretty well for you. I've always been a fan of the old 3vz.

I think the thing I'm most impressed with is your front bumper. I know you don't have time to build one for someone else, but would you be willing to part with your cad file for it? The removable winch cradle is a fantastic idea.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:21 AM
RBX

Thanks for the kind words, I'll send you the bumper CAD file, PM me your email address.

Have been pretty absent here lately since I haven't touched the rig in months. The reason for the absence....waiting on a few small parts and been renovating a shop to move the truck into for the 1KD swap. Should be in the shop next month, updates coming.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep on trucking RDX!

If you need odds and ends i've found a decent scrapper in the UK that has been very responsive to my questions and will ship to the US very easy. Lookup "Thornton Breakers" - http://www.thorntonbreakers.co.uk/ - they are also on ebay.

especially if you need a wiring loom they have.

good luck! hoping to see the 1kd in your rig for the 2017/2018 winter!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:31 AM
RBX

UnHoly Motorsports Shop Build

Just so no one thinks I have given up or abandoned this thread, i'm giving a somewhat relevant update to my build and engine swap status....

I will be moving the rig into a my buddies new shop/garage we have named UnHoly Motorsports, not a company, he does some side work/maintenance on friends bikes as well as doing work on his own vehicles. He needed a larger shop he could fit his 68' c20 (named: Nessarose) in to work on. I am donating time and supplies to get this subterranean garage setup for use as we have 3 engine swaps lined up, but i get to go first!
The shop is below grade, but entry is a t street level, so no natural light, and wet/damp at times. We repaired the gutters which help the damp issue, and DryLok'd the walls. The two bay garage is 9.5' each bay and 30' deep with 9.5' ceiling heights, should be a good amount of space for and engine swap. Garage was just a big room filled with the owners stuff that was getting wet and deteriorating, so we helped him do a hoarding cleanse, and now we have a nice big space. We needed to add some shelving you can see in the photos below, along with a workbench and storage area. the addition of a fridge, work table and parts cleaner are next on the list of improvements to the shop.
There was only one light running off the house kitchen breaker when we investigated the building. Well, this simply will not due, so we ran new electric to a sub-panel so we can weld and run the compressor. next was new lighting, fluorescent housings donated by friends, then we updated all 24 bulbs to LEDs. Awesome light, and draw only a fraction of power with everything on. Bulbs were $7 each, cool thing is you can plug them right into and extension cord as a portable light.
The shop will be ready for operation in the next couple weeks, so hopefully I will be engine swapping before the month is over.

Silly banner i made for our faux shop...

9.5' tall walls, getting painted...

And 15 gallons of DryLok later...

Bench Area

Shelving on automotive side of shop (awning was from my friends original restaraunt, tool boxes will be located under it)

Shot from motorcycle side of shop

LED plugged into an extension cord...

Last edited by RBX; 05-01-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow. You made that dungeon look so much better. I used DryLok about 20 years ago in a basement and I can still remember the odor. It worked great though. I really like those suspended shelves. I need to make some and I'd like to paint my garage interior. Have you been to www.GarageJournal.com ?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:37 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nicely done RBX!
I need to get the Trekker shell out of my garage and gone so I can work on the 4runner easier.
thanks for the inspiration
Old 01-05-2017, 06:35 PM
RBX

Thanks for the kind words guys...It's been a few months and a few nights a week. The garage was filled with stuff the owner was storing, so we had to clean it out and convince him some things were too far gone to save. He was happy about the purge as he is a good friend.
A little tidbit of history about our garge as it was the location for the following story...
I Remember...
building a rocket ship to Venus back in 1928

Robert Condit leans out of the nose of the rocket he planned to ride to Venus on 50 gallons of gasoline back in August, 1928.

By Harry B. Uhler

Three amateur scientists-my brother Sterling, Robert Condit and I fired a rocket on an August day in Baltimore in 1928. Our launch pad was a sidewalk on a Morling avenue. Our spacecraft was a 24-foot, bullet-shaped rocket made out of angle iron and sailcloth, with 50 gallons of gasoline for fuel and eight steel pipes for rocket tubes.

We weren't kids. I was in my early 30's and married, making $50 dollars a week as a carpenter. The youngest member of the trio was Robert Condit, not long out of Poly, and he was a mathematical wizard.

Our feelings were typical of the times. Only the year before, Charles A. Lindbergh had flown alone across the Atlantic. Like all other Americans, we were as proud of him then as we are today of the astronauts who walked on the moon. If a man like Lindbergh had the courage to lead the way at the risk of his life, we thought, other men should have the courage to follow.

Across the street from my home on Morling avenue, Ed Wise let us set up shop in his empty two-car garage. We paid for machinery and materials as we could afford to, out of our hard earned salaries, and we put close to $5,000 into the project before we were through. We knew where we wanted to go. Venus. Mars was too far, and we figured the moon was a burned out planet and not worth seeing.

The spacecraft framework was made out of angle iron ribs, bolted into shape. Over this we stretched several layers of sailcloth, and we impregnated it with a varnish that hardened to form an airtight shell as brittle as glass. The nose section unscrewed, and that's the way a man had to get in and out. There was room in there for only one man, and Condit was the man. We knew about living in the vacuum of space. Inside the ship there was a big tank of oxygen, and Condit planned to turn the valve on it and let out enough to breathe as he needed it. We knew we'd have to work out a supply of concentrated food tablets, because Condit sure wasn't going to have time to do any cooking. And water. Kegs or tanks of it would take up too much room, so we lined the whole ship interior with 1.5" pipes. That provided a storage place for water, and also gave the ship a layer of insulation.

Then we threw in a couple flashlights and a first aid kit, and that was it. There were two glass portholes, so Condit could look around during the ride. There wasn't any way to steer the ship. We figured to hit Venus by taking careful aim at blast-off. In the nose cone was a 25-foot silk parachute Condit could push out to let the ship down easy when he entered the gravity pull of Venus.

Inside the ship was an air compressor run by a gasoline motor. The compressor sprayed vaporized gasoline into the eight steel pipes that were our rocket tubes. A sparkplug in each tube, attached to a battery in the ship, kept the vapor burning.

We estimated that if we could get the ship off the ground, and traveling at 25,000 miles an hour, it would pull out of the earth's gravity about 40 miles up and coast right on over to Venus.

People came from all over town to see our ship, which we kept hanging from the garage roof, and to see us. Practically everyone thought we were crazy. My wife did, too. Wherever we went, people would recognize us, yell "Swooooosh!" and point to the sky.

There were details we hadn't quite worked out. Was there water to drink and food to eat on Venus? We figured Condit would find that out when he got there, and come right back if there wasn't any. How to take off and get back home again? Something else for Condit to figure out for himself. We didn't bother setting up any sort of a radio hook-up, figuring that Condit would tell us all about it when he got back.

It took us eight months to build the ship, and there were details that could have stood improvement, but we didn't want to wait any longer. We loaded up the pipes with water and the fuel tanks with gasoline. We moved the ship outside the garage and set her up on the sidewalk.

Condit crawled in, screwed the nose cone back tight, started up the compressor motor, and threw the switch that activated the sparkplugs.

I never saw so much fire in my life. Big blooms of red flame boiled out around the spacecraft, and big clouds of black smoke rolled up into the sky. Traffic couldn't get by because of the fire. Pretty soon we had quite a few spectators.

Condit had just wanted to take her up maybe a quarter of a mile or so, let her hang there in the air until he got the feel of her, then lower down to load up with more gasoline for the real trip.

He gave the rocket pipes more and more gas, and finally threw the throttle wide open. He made a lot more fire and smoke than before, but the ship wouldn't lift. He kept on trying until he ran out of gas.

That test firing showed us we couldn't get a ship into space without helping it along with a booster rocket, and we estimated that would cost another $10,000 at least. So we gave it up. Our wives were against the whole deal, anyway.

Condit came back in a few weeks, loaded the rocket on a truck, and hauled it off to Florida. I never saw him again, but I expect he did real well for himself somewhere. He was a mathematical genius.

My buddies restaurant is named Rocket To Venus www.rockettovenus.com because he owns the house and garage...
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by RBX
Thanks for the kind words guys...It's been a few months and a few nights a week. The garage was filled with stuff the owner was storing, so we had to clean it out and convince him some things were too far gone to save. He was happy about the purge as he is a good friend.
A little tidbit of history about our garge as it was the location for the following story...
I Remember...
building a rocket ship to Venus back in 1928

Robert Condit leans out of the nose of the rocket he planned to ride to Venus on 50 gallons of gasoline back in August, 1928.

By Harry B. Uhler

Three amateur scientists-my brother Sterling, Robert Condit and I fired a rocket on an August day in Baltimore in 1928. Our launch pad was a sidewalk on a Morling avenue. Our spacecraft was a 24-foot, bullet-shaped rocket made out of angle iron and sailcloth, with 50 gallons of gasoline for fuel and eight steel pipes for rocket tubes.

We weren't kids. I was in my early 30's and married, making $50 dollars a week as a carpenter. The youngest member of the trio was Robert Condit, not long out of Poly, and he was a mathematical wizard.

Our feelings were typical of the times. Only the year before, Charles A. Lindbergh had flown alone across the Atlantic. Like all other Americans, we were as proud of him then as we are today of the astronauts who walked on the moon. If a man like Lindbergh had the courage to lead the way at the risk of his life, we thought, other men should have the courage to follow.

Across the street from my home on Morling avenue, Ed Wise let us set up shop in his empty two-car garage. We paid for machinery and materials as we could afford to, out of our hard earned salaries, and we put close to $5,000 into the project before we were through. We knew where we wanted to go. Venus. Mars was too far, and we figured the moon was a burned out planet and not worth seeing.

The spacecraft framework was made out of angle iron ribs, bolted into shape. Over this we stretched several layers of sailcloth, and we impregnated it with a varnish that hardened to form an airtight shell as brittle as glass. The nose section unscrewed, and that's the way a man had to get in and out. There was room in there for only one man, and Condit was the man. We knew about living in the vacuum of space. Inside the ship there was a big tank of oxygen, and Condit planned to turn the valve on it and let out enough to breathe as he needed it. We knew we'd have to work out a supply of concentrated food tablets, because Condit sure wasn't going to have time to do any cooking. And water. Kegs or tanks of it would take up too much room, so we lined the whole ship interior with 1.5" pipes. That provided a storage place for water, and also gave the ship a layer of insulation.

Then we threw in a couple flashlights and a first aid kit, and that was it. There were two glass portholes, so Condit could look around during the ride. There wasn't any way to steer the ship. We figured to hit Venus by taking careful aim at blast-off. In the nose cone was a 25-foot silk parachute Condit could push out to let the ship down easy when he entered the gravity pull of Venus.

Inside the ship was an air compressor run by a gasoline motor. The compressor sprayed vaporized gasoline into the eight steel pipes that were our rocket tubes. A sparkplug in each tube, attached to a battery in the ship, kept the vapor burning.

We estimated that if we could get the ship off the ground, and traveling at 25,000 miles an hour, it would pull out of the earth's gravity about 40 miles up and coast right on over to Venus.

People came from all over town to see our ship, which we kept hanging from the garage roof, and to see us. Practically everyone thought we were crazy. My wife did, too. Wherever we went, people would recognize us, yell "Swooooosh!" and point to the sky.

There were details we hadn't quite worked out. Was there water to drink and food to eat on Venus? We figured Condit would find that out when he got there, and come right back if there wasn't any. How to take off and get back home again? Something else for Condit to figure out for himself. We didn't bother setting up any sort of a radio hook-up, figuring that Condit would tell us all about it when he got back.

It took us eight months to build the ship, and there were details that could have stood improvement, but we didn't want to wait any longer. We loaded up the pipes with water and the fuel tanks with gasoline. We moved the ship outside the garage and set her up on the sidewalk.

Condit crawled in, screwed the nose cone back tight, started up the compressor motor, and threw the switch that activated the sparkplugs.

I never saw so much fire in my life. Big blooms of red flame boiled out around the spacecraft, and big clouds of black smoke rolled up into the sky. Traffic couldn't get by because of the fire. Pretty soon we had quite a few spectators.

Condit had just wanted to take her up maybe a quarter of a mile or so, let her hang there in the air until he got the feel of her, then lower down to load up with more gasoline for the real trip.

He gave the rocket pipes more and more gas, and finally threw the throttle wide open. He made a lot more fire and smoke than before, but the ship wouldn't lift. He kept on trying until he ran out of gas.

That test firing showed us we couldn't get a ship into space without helping it along with a booster rocket, and we estimated that would cost another $10,000 at least. So we gave it up. Our wives were against the whole deal, anyway.

Condit came back in a few weeks, loaded the rocket on a truck, and hauled it off to Florida. I never saw him again, but I expect he did real well for himself somewhere. He was a mathematical genius.

My buddies restaurant is named Rocket To Venus www.rockettovenus.com because he owns the house and garage...
Very interesting story!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:02 AM
RBX

Hilux MK6 KUN26 Cluster in 1stGen 4Runner

Hilux MK6 KUN26 Speedometer

Working on modding my cluster from the Hilux to sit in the 1st Gen dash

Cut out unnecessary plastic using the old speedo cluster as the mount

Old 02-20-2017, 04:16 AM

Nice one!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 AM
RBX

^^^ well hows the truck running with the new lump? what did you do about the cluster since the ecu depends on it?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 AM

I'm still at the mercy of the electrician... Dash not back in as yet.... I keep getting excuses and promises in the same breath. I'll post an update sometime soon i hope.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sure you know this, there's a restaurant in Hampden called "Rocket to Venus". Also, did you get the Holy Frijoles awning after the fire?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
nice work on the cluster. looking forward to reading about this swap

Quick Reply: RBx 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread