86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

New project: Evan's 1993 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New project: Evan's 1993 Pickup

Hey there, my name's Evan.
I just picked up this truck recently (really like it, first time buying something that wasn't a Nissan haha. Will never steer away from Toyota 4x4 from this point on.)

It's also my first truck, I've always been familiar with drift culture and builds. So this is all new to me. Forgive me if there is a section for builds or whatnot, just figure I would ask here.

I'm very new to 4x4, and would really like to build this destroyer that it's destined to be. Is there any particular suspension manufacturers as far as suspension lifts go, or is there a proper way to modify one step at a time? This may sound ridiculous, but like I said I'm very new

(If you're familiar, as an example HKS vs. Megan Racing. I'd rather spend the extra buck to have better quality parts. So if possible, have pointers and take suggestions of what to look into.)
Or a highly recommended website I should look into for when I make orders for parts?

I don't have many pictures of it, and this is the only one I could find so far that I've taken that has shown most of the truck haha!

If you're curious, I'm the character on the left.

Appreciate any sort of tips!
Thanks!

Last edited by BacksideDisaster; 06-15-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
welcome to YT. nice truck.

many ways to build up a 4x4, just like building a drift car. really depends on what your plans are for this truck - looks or function? both? crawler?

looking at this single pic of your truck, I don't think you need any lift at all at this point. Actually, most older Toyotas have a saggy butt problem and your definitely doesn't - especially with 2 guys and a bed cover on it. Current height looks enough to clear a 33" tire if you wanted to run those, but keep in mind you should technically regear for those to keep power. If you aren't ready to drop money on gears yet, upgrade your tires for more traction and get some aggressive AT or MTs in perhaps a 31" size.

Traction is what will give you lots of capability offroad. Tires are one step. Lockers and lower gearing are another. Adding a locker in the rear will increase your capability. Adding 2 lockers will go even further. Adding in 2 lockers and a 2nd t-case will get you through whatever you point it at as long as you don't get hung up on something due to low clearance at this point.

No matter what, ditch those nerf bar/steps and replace them with proper rock sliders. They are damage multipliers and not really even good for standing on since they flex under human weight. Trail Gear is the cheapest option outside of DIY or free. Rear bumper will suffice for now as long as it's stout enough to put a tow strap on just in case - if not, you need a good rear recovery point. Front armor can come later too.

Suspension wise, just make sure your IFS is happy and not worn out. A lot of people ditch it right away, but I don't mind keeping it until you're ready to roll your rig - safety should come way before SAS if you ask me. Keep a trail spare of parts like CV axle, tie rods, etc. Get yourself a beefier idler arm and a brace for it. New steering stabilizer and shocks may help a lot too. Get recovery gear and repair manual and know how to use them.

Sooooo many ways to build this truck. Just keep reading up here on YT and build as you go.
Good luck!

Last edited by highonpottery; 06-16-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome.

I'm also new (not my 1993 6/13/2015) and have barely used her so far.
I have 31" MT's and they are a real treat off-road. They give me enough clearance and also do well on pavement :-)
I'm a fan of Rancho 500 shocks for their ride and rebound. I agree with the above post on the timeline for mods. Make sure you have good front and rear points for recovery/rescue lol. As a new off-roader you'll likely need it. Get lights too!! It gets dark fast when you're having fun.

Mine so far. Nerds are welded as is brush guard, or they'd be GONE!