86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Brian, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it, but I wanna stick to companies that I know not a company that "seems" legit. Ya know? If it were the taco, I'd take that risk, but I want this runner to be bulletproof...

Mark, nice job on the hi-lift! That's the plan for hers too, only painted candy tangerine tO match her motor... As for the rad company, PLEASE (if it's not too much of an issue) lemme know the name of the company... I called a couple local places and no one knows what I'm talking about... So I was thinking I'd have to spend big money to have an aluminum jobber built... I'd really appreciate it, buddy!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Bay Cities Radiator Inc.
4505 West Rosecrans
Hawthorne, CA 90250

Phone: (310) 978-1616 (DON'T call just yet.... Read Ahead....)
Fax #: (310) 978-0301

Here's the problem.....

I called them for ya, and Teleal(my orig. sales helper) wasn't there at the moment.... Don, the main dude, was.... He said, "OOOOH, yeah, that's the problem.... I CAN get that drop shipped for him, but it's nearly 500$... It's VERY rare, almost never ordered and hard to find. I don't have it in stock, but I believe our warehouse in Sacramento might be able to work with him on the price, tell him to at least call them".........
......(I told him that you're more 'norcal', and he said, "Well, we have our Warehouse in Sacramento", .... that's how that came up, btw, haha)....

So here's the Part #, Core dementions(not the frame, just core?) and Phone #........;

*18x21 Core Demensions

* #35320 = Part Number

* Phone Number; (916) 383-9417

*** I spoke to Don in the "Hawthorne, CA" location for this company.... Maybe that might help when you call to speak to them?

Sorry to hear it's such a rare one... Maybe you can buy one like I had made and get it modified to work with the Turbo? Maybe you could use a V6 one, modified(If that's the difference?).... Not sure. Hopefully you can either get them down ....A LOT, lol... or get someone to modify an otherwise identical one(aside from a couple T-inlets or something?...Not sure what the big difference is, but I'm sure it matters, or Toyota wouldn't have done it, right? haha).......

Best wishes, Troy.... hope it helps/or that you figure out a way around the big cost!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 06-20-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 AM

thanks for the info, chef... ill give them a call soon...

as for progress, we are stopped yet again... not gonna be able to use the T2052 because of one main factor... its got an aluminum exhaust side... engine shop refuses to use it unless there is coolant being pumped thru an adapter plate to keep things cool... and im not fond of that idea...

so, next step is to find another turbo... looking at some T3/T4 hybrids that are internally wastegated... i KNOW for a fact that this setup will work because its been done a thousand times before successfully...

i guess its not 1 step forward and 2 steps back but rather 1 step forward and 2 steps laterally... SMH...
Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 AM

new turbo aquired... a T3 off a mustang GT... a little less than using the 2052, so itll save money there... injectors were sent out a few days ago... hope to see em back soon... ordering the injector clips soon, and gonna be doing some cleanup on the intake parts in preperation for the re-install...

its getting closer, but its a little rough juggling getting this done, getting the house remodeled and preparing for a baby... hahaha!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
and den?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i have the seats out of a mustang gt... does that gain me anything?

you know you're gonna hafta clean the engine bay up after putting all this time and effort into it
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
and den?
"Oh, ...no, nothing, ...just the fried rice, orange chicken, chow mien, kung pao, egg rolls and that's all".....................
Old 06-29-2012, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
and den?
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBOOM!

Originally Posted by irab88
i have the seats out of a mustang gt... does that gain me anything?

you know you're gonna hafta clean the engine bay up after putting all this time and effort into it
gain you anything? ionno... im kinda ashamed to be putting a f**d part on this motor...
and the engine bay is surprisingly clean... going to be doing a little degreasing, but the old motor didnt really leak, or if it did was cleaned up pretty well...
Old 07-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Came home to these on the porch step...

Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 AM

Still waiting for the motor to be done... they are doing some special mods to the elbow for the wastegate so it will work flawlessly with the motor... they are expecting it to feel like a stock V8... even with the auto trans... just waiting...waiting...waiting...

one thing i want to know, tho, is, this truck has 2 very odd features that i havent seen in a while, one never on a 4runner...
it has a real axle truss that goes under the rear axle and looks like it bolts onto where the spring perches are...
also, its got dual shocks at each corner... the fronts have a weird L bracket that bolts to the frame, and the rear has 2 that come off the spring perches to the center of the body... its really weird... of course those are going away and getting replaced, but i was curious if anyone else has ever heard of or seen something along those lines... i know that the truck ws in an accident in '95, and the double shock setup reminds me of the '90s 4wheel drive fancy crap...
Old 07-18-2012, 02:07 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
Still waiting for the motor to be done... they are doing some special mods to the elbow for the wastegate so it will work flawlessly with the motor... they are expecting it to feel like a stock V8... even with the auto trans... just waiting...waiting...waiting...

one thing i want to know, tho, is, this truck has 2 very odd features that i havent seen in a while, one never on a 4runner...
it has a real axle truss that goes under the rear axle and looks like it bolts onto where the spring perches are...
also, its got dual shocks at each corner... the fronts have a weird L bracket that bolts to the frame, and the rear has 2 that come off the spring perches to the center of the body... its really weird... of course those are going away and getting replaced, but i was curious if anyone else has ever heard of or seen something along those lines... i know that the truck ws in an accident in '95, and the double shock setup reminds me of the '90s 4wheel drive fancy crap...

I have no idea what I just read.

But I read it with you having the voice of Darth Vader and it was TOTALLY HOTTTTT!!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Jerry, .... that didn't work for me! I couldn't hear anything but Dora the Explorer! hahaha.

Wow, sounds like it either came 'beef' or was 'beefed' at some point, Troy? Is it all stock? Is that what you're asking?

I saw a very interesting Trekker today in Torrance, CA, which was for sale for 5500$. Needed a bit of work, maybe too much to be worth it.. But interestingly, it had all around dual shocks.... I wonder if Toyota had it done for rigs they figured would be either heavier or maybe hauling more/towing, etc.? I've never seen it before.. but it really looked stock. MAN I would have loved to have bought that Trekker... Just can't justify 5500$ project right now with plenty to go til it's 'reh-2-go', ya know? haha.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:20 AM

plopped down hopefully the last sum of money needed... machining for the adapters and oil cooler shtuff is being taken care of... hopefully be done soon...
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 AM

while im thinking about spending money, mark, lookie what i found!
http://www.lceperformance.com/Heavy-...-p/1093069.htm
and
http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator
need to call em and make sure its the PROPER one for the RTE motor...

Last edited by space-junk; 08-04-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed, nice to see another clean ,relitively, simple 22rte. Less than two hours away none the less. Good luck with the build.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 PM

Hey Troy, .... curious which way you go. Radiator barn showed "Turbo 22RET ONLY" as option 4 on the page for your year. What also matters is shipping, right? But I doubt it would be more than 30$ to ship...I mention that cuz doesn't LCE Ship free over 100$?

Anyway, aught to be A VERY nice addition to that, man.... I mean, Turbo's CAN run a lil hotter, right? Especially with an Auto, IIRC.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are STILL waiting on all the turbo crap to be finished. UGH! tired of being stuck at home... and VERY irritated with that shop. VERY. This is a RIDICULOUS amount of time to wait. Thank God I wasnt someone who drove daily. UGH.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:27 PM

2 UGH's... that sounds SERIOUSLY UGH! lol. .... NO, really, I'm sorry... I TOTALLY can relate to the 'wait'! SUX!

Waiting for a TURBO INSTALL???????? What is the hold up, exactly/specifically? Curious. Maybe I should call and say I'm "Vankmen, the Sausage King of Chicago!"... and see if they hurry it up for ya... "That's my lil girl, Mista... and you're making her and da Baby wait? I'ma make you an offa you can't refuse, YA GET ME?" .... NO? ...yeah, probably wouldn't help, lol. Geesh, how do they make money? I bet I know... they take on WAY too much work, then it sits, and then they're NEVER short on work/just MEN TO DO IT! This seems like MONTHS, no?????
Old 09-07-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The owner says he needs to machine an adapter plate and figure out how it needs to sit and blahblahblah. And figure out clearance from the firewall but he doesnt want us to bring the truck over so he can do it easily. There was something else i think. But i tuned out when he said MAYBE another 3 weeks.... that was over a month ago... so troy would be the best person to ask on all that. All i know is we were told 2 months tops when i was about 6 months pregnant. Then added another 3 weeks for the new turbo. Anf here it is close to 5 months later... dont get me wrong... the guy does good engine work... but this is just ridiculous. Especially since ladt time we went in he said business has slowed because people cant pay. And weve been paying. In fact... paying way more than we had been told it would cost. So yeah.... not too happy. Im stuck at home unless troy borrows his dads gas guzzler or his parents take me somewhere. I cant even walk anywhere because we're in the boonies.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
[quote=MudBunni;51970443]... All i know is we were told 2 months tops when i was about 6 months pregnant. Then added another 3 weeks for the new turbo. Anf here it is close to 5 months later...quote]

You are ELEVEN months pregnant? That must be soooo uncomfortable!

But if you're in the boonies with a new baby you NEED a car!

Great Turbo 4Runner! I sold my original 1st gen due to imminant baby and got a 3rd gen (1997). That baby will be driving next summer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread