86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

mightymouse's 1991 Pickup Build-Up Thread - "Travis"

Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
mightymouse's 1991 Pickup Build-Up Thread - "Travis"

Started work on this little monster last week and figured i'd better start a thread to get suggestions, hopefully entertain some of you, and log my progress. first we'll start with some pics and after list the things i have done and want to do to give you an idea of the direction i'm headed with the truck.
when i brought it home.

And how it sits now. Removed the crinkled up fender, pulled some dents on the bed, drained all the coolant and replaced the oil. Was bored and swapped in some old 4runner seats as well after cleaning the interior.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i like it...
good find.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
It looks so little and cute sitting next to your other truck.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Bring it, Brudda! Bring it! lol. Seriously, can't wait to see you drop this, foo, ....then with the Hypo 5.7L McClaren Motor, Paxton and the rest....HOLY CRAPOLI, ...it's gonna be mean! hehehehe,

Jk, actually, I was thinking about finding a lil secondary toy, maybe another Cressida like I used to have. LOVED that car, .....it had a Z-Series Japanese Motor in it with like 40+ more horsepower than Factory US Cressida's. LOVE THAT SUPRA MOTOR, Mouse! What's the plan for this one??.............
Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Here's the mod planned for this truck

Motor:
Engnbldr head
268 cam
supra AFM
header/full exhaust
add power steering
add Air conditioning
timing kit
head gasket kit
All the other basic stuff, plugs wires you get the picture.
Very similar to the motor in the 4x4.

Interior:
Custom fiber glass center console to hold speakers and amp.
carpet
redo the seats with leather or neoprene
window tint
stereo (pioneer)
tlt steering
I'm sure i'll think of other stuff as i go on.

Exterior: fix the rust
rims (black) 17" or 18"s
tires
paint, Looking at some gunmetal colors but seriously need to ditch the faded red paint
tail lights
bumper
valance hood driver's door and fender
need some mirrors.

Suspension: Not sure here but i know it rides like crap so it will be modded in some way. I'm looking for the slightly lowered look just nothing too low.
I want my cake and be able to eat it too here. Want the suspension to perform and be able to carry up to a 400lb load like my quad but still look good and handle well. If you have any suggestions for me here i would be gratefull. I know it's a truck not a race car so i would like to find a happy medium between the two.
It will get new shocks once i figure out the direction of the suspension as well.

I know this is a site more oriented around 4wd's but i've seen a few of you guys sporting some really nice 2wds as well. I'm more tuned into the 4wd scene as well so this 2wd stuff and set up is a little different for me.

Goals: For all purposes this truck will be built into a daily driver with some pep in it's step. I want it to handle well and ride smooth. Also i want to romp on the gas and be able to get up to speed at a reasonable pace. Also want it to look god. I already drive a beat up 4x4 and would be nice to have a little truck that looks good and still get me where i need to go.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys and gals. I'm getting married in august so buying stuff for the travis project will hold off until after the wedding. I promised the wife to be that i wouldn't start putting money in it untill after we got through the month of august. (we're paying for our own wedding you get the picture). Since i picked up the truck on a trade it has yet to cast me any thing. So for now the mods listed and updated will be free or close to free. Cleaning and swapping parts i already have is one way to go for now. I might just get seriously frugal on this one and see if i can't keep the build cost down. Time will tell. I'll update with pics as i go. Motor will be the first thing adressed. Stay tuned.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS! Wish you guys the best!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM

well due to some horrible events involving my other truck the travis build was sped up this week and i slapped a timing chain kit on it and called it good. Little monster runs good and only has 139,000 miles on it. Fixed the fender and replaced the mirrors and basically got it ready for inspection. I should be driving it by monday or tuesday and use it as my everyday beater hauler truck. I still want ac, and power steering but it'll happen when it happens for now i need a truck that'll get me where i need to go without many problems. I'll post some pics later. It ain't pretty but it'll due for what i need it for.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
subscribed
Old 10-23-2010, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Now I gotta look for you in the little red truck...
Old 10-24-2010, 05:03 AM

heh, yeah... if you're ever on the east coast. i don't think i'll be any farther west than bruceton mills, wv...

and the guy with the 2x4 reg cab calls the 4x4 dlx "little" lol

Last edited by irab88; 10-24-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
It looks so little and cute sitting next to your other truck.
X2 Looking forward to this build!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:37 AM

i need to replace the down pipe from the header to the cat today and that should be all to get it legal on monday. I'll snap some pics as well today. This little truck is in need of body work and a nice set of rims and tires and i think i'll be happy. Oh, and a stereo but until then i'll be singing while driving so hab if you see me sitting in traffic belting out a tune don't mind me i'm just keeping busy.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 PM

lots of progress today. Here's the story. The down pipe for the 2wd is a pain in the butt. You gotta argue with it for awhile to get it to go in. I cussed and whined and it fit tight with no leaks. Seriously this motor is quiet! My old motor for the mouse was gnarly with the supra intake, header, exhaust, cam, head, well you get the point it sounded good but you could hear it coming. This little bone stock gem is sooooo quiet you could hear a mouse fart next to it. I need to adjust the valves but you can barely hear them.
So i changed the fluids after letting it run to clean out the grime from the timing chain cover having a crack and all is well. Started to degrease the motor a little (can't stand dirty motors) then it was on to the interior to clean it up a little. My buddy had a stereo handy and slapped it in nothing special but plays cd's and works with the two speakers in the truck. I then turned on the heater while the truck was running and heard the blower motor making some serious racket. On top of the racket it was blowing out some serious crap out of the vents. I found after pulling the vents and blower motor that mice had made a nest in there at one point in time. Cleaned out the crap put stuff back in their place and called it good. Windexed the windows and cleaned the truck so i'm good to go right. Took the little truck on a test drive to run through the gears and on the highway and GUESS WHAT???? It runs like a champ no complaints. Happy to be back in a yota?? you bet! I'll take some pics this week i was obviously a little preoccupied today to play with the camera but it's all stuff we've seen before. I liked the f150 i was using as a loner car but seriously i missed driving a yota. And automatic transmissions! not for me. time for a beer.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:02 AM

here are the pics as promised.

I've never had a stock anything and it's kinda nice. Priorities changed and hear is the new list of mods for the little Travis in order of importance.

Rear brake cyliders x2 as i'm sure one is sticking and the other is probably not far behind.
front bumper & valance for obvious reasons.
power steering i've been spoiled with power steering for so long this thing handles like pooh.
shocks
rims and tires
body work
tint the windows

All is well in the world of toyota for me though. My 84 is on it's way within a month or so and the Travis truck is tagged and running. Aside from the loss of the mightymouse i'm chugging along getting stuff done. I'll chime in with more mods and fixes as i do them. Not bad for a straight up trade for a heep add a few hundred bucks for minor stuff and this truck will go for miles just sipping gas.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:22 PM

hey, where's the 4x4 lever? oh,... wait...

i think you should leave the bumper like that and put a big cigarette in there haha

naw, but it sounds like you've got it. i'll be interested to see what you do
Old 10-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2wd dragstaaaaaa!

nah, looking good tho!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
2wd dragstaaaaaa!...
Old 10-26-2010, 08:51 AM

if i had a big cigar or cigarette that would happen funny as hell.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
looking good man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mightymouse's 1991 Pickup Build-Up Thread - "Travis"