86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

LittleUgly's 94 pickup build

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LittleUgly's 94 pickup build

Hey everyone! Been lurkin' around the site for a few months now and decided that it was time to sign up and present to you another build thread!

First off, I gotta say, this has been one of the most helpful sights over the years. This is actually the 3rd toyota i've been shoulder deep into and I gotta say, if it weren't for this sight, i would've spent a lot longer on each one.

Now, the truck! It's a 1994 Pickup 4x4 with the 22re and 5 speed manual with 137k miles on thr clock. I picked it up on trade for doing an engine swap on an 88 pickup for a great friend of mine. Reason why i got the truck for so little time and energy? You guessed it, timing chain ate a hole through the timing cover and dumped all that the coolant system had into the crankcase! So, after tearing into it, i decided that stock everything would not be good enough. So, after gettin' handy with a dremel, i ported the head and intake and picked up an Engnbldr 272 cam (advertised as the 270ho). I just got it back together and running last night (running 2 teeth off on the distributor, don't know how it even started) and got it running well today!

I'll post pictures and videos when i get on my laptop. I'm doing this from a new phone i got a couple weeks ago so i don't have any pics or anything of it really.

Also, I'm a born and raised Ford guy. I'm probably going to mix and match Ford and Yota stuff and I may ask a lot of questions throughout this build.

Last edited by LittleUgly; 09-28-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 PM

Here's some pictures!

The day I got it down to my place!

Tasty

Wouldn't be a toyota if it still had the factory bed

Takin' it out to the scrap yard! Fit perfect!

Stripped. Before i went and cleaned everything up.

New LED headlights and my Engnbldr 270ho cam!

In my home ported head!

Old timing guide. Picked it out of the oil pan.

Head on.

Comin' together.

All buttoned up!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If it wasn't for the rust, it looked like whoever had it took good care of it. Looks like you are making some quick work of it. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to YT. Nice work on the Head!

Looks like a truck I had when I lived in Pennsylvania. Same kind of rust. The salt on the roads ate it up there really bad.

Last edited by Gizler00; 09-30-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the replies! As ugly as the truck may seem, the cab and frame are in surprisingly good shape. It's too bad the outside sheet metal is falling off faster than i can slam it back on! Being a hunting/winter beater, it was bound to rot out. Anyways, yes, very well maintained. It was my friend's grandpa's truck and he was religious about maintenance intervals (you should've seen his 69 Mercury Cougar XR7). They were going to scrap it, but fond memories of riding in it made me grab it up from them on trade for some work. This thing's cab is in better shape than my daily driver's is! Also, picked up a vinyl for the windshield. Hope ya guys like it!

Old 11-09-2015, 07:39 PM

Well it's been over a month now (crazy October, spent an absurd amount of money in gas to go to weddings, not to mention gifts and such) so I decided it was time to get workin on the old Yota again. Unfortunately, (surprise!) I'm gonna hafta deal with frame rot, which ended up being much worse than originally anticipated...

Passenger's side

Driver's side (ouch!)

I got the number for a good steel company nearby and i'm hoping to order some steel this friday for a custom rear frame. I'm going to be sawing it off behind the cab and build it back from there. I've got too much time invested to give up now! Hopefully the end result is all worth it (which it will be, because it's a good ol toyota!)
Old 11-16-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Frame rot. I just discovered some myself on my runner.

I have made repairs to these frames before in the exact same spots you have there. Its not really that bad if you have access to a good 220V welder, and A lot of time.

One thing to keep in mind is maybe look for a donor frame. I have come across a lot of trucks that were rot buckets with good frames that just get sent to the junk yard, or people are looking to get rid of.

Just a thought.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:44 AM

I've been searching up and down craigslist for anything within 300 miles and everyone wants an arm and a leg for a decent frame. So, i'll be heading to the junkyard one of these days in search of a yota frame, or the rear half of another compact truck frame and make it work. Unfortunately, these toyota frames are WIDER than a lot of fullsize pickup frames I've seen (6 inches wider than my F150's frame).
Old 01-31-2016, 01:03 PM

So, I have a plan for the frame now. Going to order steel and start welding here after my next payday. In the meantime, I ordered a header and midpipe for it. Now I know that Pacesetter ain't a brand that gets a lot of love, but mine fit pretty damn good so I wont complain. Just gotta burn off the shop coat and hit it with some vht paint.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:37 PM

Finally got some video on it.

Last edited by LittleUgly; 02-24-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:06 AM

So i did this the other day

And fabbed up this in 5 hours

And finished sliding it in the old frame rails about 10 minutes ago. It has a nasty stinkbug stance (that'll get changed soon enough).
Old 07-17-2016, 10:19 PM

UPDATE:
Turns out the front half of the frame wasn't in the best of shape either. But, I was able to find a donor.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This is one hell of an ambitious build, that's a lot of rusted out frame...

Last edited by warmonger88; 01-02-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:23 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Truck is probably at the scrap yard since it's been 4 years ago since any update.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
haha, that's what I get for not checking time stamps
Old 01-02-2020, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by LittleUgly
Hey everyone! Been lurkin' around the site for a few months now and decided that it was time to sign up and present to you another build thread!

First off, I gotta say, this has been one of the most helpful sights over the years. This is actually the 3rd toyota i've been shoulder deep into and I gotta say, if it weren't for this sight, i would've spent a lot longer on each one.

Now, the truck! It's a 1994 Pickup 4x4 with the 22re and 5 speed manual with 137k miles on thr clock. I picked it up on trade for doing an engine swap on an 88 pickup for a great friend of mine. Reason why i got the truck for so little time and energy? You guessed it, timing chain ate a hole through the timing cover and dumped all that the coolant system had into the crankcase! So, after tearing into it, i decided that stock everything would not be good enough. So, after gettin' handy with a dremel, i ported the head and intake and picked up an Engnbldr 272 cam (advertised as the 270ho). I just got it back together and running last night (running 2 teeth off on the distributor, don't know how it even started) and got it running well today!

I'll post pictures and videos when i get on my laptop. I'm doing this from a new phone i got a couple weeks ago so i don't have any pics or anything of it really.

Also, I'm a born and raised Ford guy. I'm probably going to mix and match Ford and Yota stuff and I may ask a lot of questions throughout this build.
I have a 95 4 runner with an auto transmission. The anyone is bad. However, I have a 91 pickup with a manual transmission. I searched the threads and studied wire diagrams and went along with the conversion. I had to change a few pig tails but got everything hooked up and back together with manual transmission installed. I have swapped dozens of motors and at worts had to have it taken to the dealer to be reprogrammed. I don't think my issue is reprogramming though. I have power everywhere I think I should on the ignition but I'm not getting ˟˟˟˟ to my starting or firing system. All grounds are connected and connected as well. Will someone please give me see ideas as to why I'm not getting power to my starting and firing systems. I did jump the neautral/park safety. I also tried it with the manual trans ECU and nothing