86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Kolton5543's The Chevota build

Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Kolton5543's The Chevota build

So things are finally starting to take off. Parts are beginning to roll in and once I get a few on hand work will commence.

To start, my original plans were to just bolt the 4.3 up to the w56 and try to keep the trans in the stock location to avoid drive shaft modifications. I wanted to try to make it quick and simple to get going then wheel it till the ifs broke then SAS it. But plans changed.

Recently things kinda started to fall into place. I'm concerned about the strength of the transmission as I'm going to wheel it pretty hard and was actively looking into alternatives. I ended up finding a sm465 from a friend with all of the clutch components for $150 so I'm going to be running that mated up to the stock toy case with 4.7 and 23 spline. I'll have to come up with an adapter for that. I'm not sure I can get one from marlin any more so I'm unsure what I'm going to do. I'm sure I can fab one pretty easily and just get a power sleeve machined. If anybody has one sitting around and would like to get rid of you should contact me.

I have another friend with a 73 k10 with 12bolt/dana 44 with 3.73 gears. We're getting ready to swap in a 468 big block and will be changing the axles to 14/60. We made a deal of $475 for the axle's, 3/4 ton leafs and brand new 33" Yokohama Geolander M/T. So I'm gunna throw them under there too. I'm not sure what to do about the springs yet I'm sure the 3/4 ton springs are going to be way to stiff. Should I buy something softer or does anybody think I can get away with pulling a leaf or two.

Thats the main things. I happen to have a spare York 209 sitting around. It turns out that it fits nicely where the air pump would usually be on this engine so its gunna be receiving that. I have a second toy fuel tank I'm gunna mount on the oposite side to increase capacity. 3" body lift mainly for clearing power train components and gunna lift a few low hanging items for better ground clearance. Over head console from the blazer is going into the runner and will be my switch panel. Line locks and snorkel right out the gate.

That's pretty much everything I can think of off the top of my head. I'm going to be buying the trans today. Hopefully by the end of next month I will have the axles. While I wait on them I'm going be trying to figure out the t case dilemma. Please feel free ask questions, make suggestions, praise and criticize. Just please, no die hard Toyota flaming.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 PM

Pics

Old 05-29-2015, 07:39 PM

Got the transmission the other day. The guy i was originally going to buy it from happened to bail. The day after i just happened to find out a friend had a 2wd sitting around from a 71. I happened to get it for $180 for the trans, cast iron bell housing, flywheel and all of the clutch components. Not too shabby. The next day I cleaned it up, resealed every where that could potentially leak and, and gave it a coat of paint. here it is as it sits.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to mount the t-case about yayish far from the trans. I'm still unsure how I'm going to come up with a yoke to work with but I'll figure it out.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice to find a kit for the front of the X-fer case to create a divorced X-fer case that could be located slightly lower to help with driveline angles.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:20 AM

Yeah im going to go divorced so it would be pretty easy to do. I don't think I'm going to have much of an issue with drive shaft angles. I don't intend on going to high on the suspension (maybe only two or three inches over stock) and I'm gunna mount the trans bout as low as I can get it as it sits pretty tall.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so your planning on converting the Toyota tcase to a divorced tcase?
Old 06-04-2015, 07:59 AM

Precisely. I think I'm going to pull the sleeve off of the out put shaft of an old w56 I have lying around and weld it to a slip yoke off of the blazer the engine came from. Then I'm going to cut out a steel plate that bolts to the front of the t-case and machine the hole to fit a seal. The plate is also going to serve mounting purposes.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:24 AM

So, as it may seem like I have abandoned this project and thread, I have not. Life just took a different turn instead. Most notably the money I have and my car eating all of it. I've been having major problems with it lately and haven't been able to fix it. If you want to see the thread on that click here. In an attempt to have a running DD I bought a 93 Dodge Dakota. Before you say ew, trust me, I know. It lasted three weeks before the trans locked up. Typical dodge problems. I then bought an 84 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Shortly after, it got stolen. Then the Caprice started leaking ATF. About a quart every 5 miles. At $12 a gallon it gets expensive drive really quick. I no longer cringe at $4 a gallon of gasoline. Last month it rained hard and flooded my shop with about three feet of water (no rain in AZ my a$$) and ruined a lot of tools. I'm just starting to get some cash flow in and the Caprice is finally getting reliable again. So hopefully, the toy will begin work again.

Now to what has been done. Not really anything. I've cleaned the engine up pretty good but that's about it. I got some paint for it but not really anything else. The good news is, plans has changed for it. I got another t-case so its getting duals right out the gate. For the axles, my buddy decided to put his 468 in a different truck and sell the other. The 3/4 tons are also going in it and its 1/2 tons are going to somebody else. It seems bad but he needed hubs for his 14 bolt. The guy he bought hubs from also had another set of 3/4 tons, so he bought them too. He's going to sell them plus the tires to me for 675. I sell the tires for around $500 or so as they have less than 1000 miles on them and recoup most of the cash. Now the runner will be getting a 14 bolt and 44hd. Get some 38s and 63" Chevy springs I should be good to go. When the shafts break in the 44hd I'll throw in some RCVs and oughta be happy with that.

For the transmission. I still have the SM465 planned to be used but I really don't like the feel of the shifts and the lack of over drive. I would definitely like something smoother like and nv4500. A ZF6 would be pretty sweet too. Ultimately, I would like a T56 to get the steep over drive, compact package and good shifter location while still getting a smooth car like feel. Maybe I can convince my mom to give me the nv4500 siting in the bed of her old Chevy. Maybe a t5 will live behind it. They're plentiful and cheap.

Until plans change or progress is getting made again, farewell.

Last edited by Kolton5543; 10-16-2015 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:13 PM

Still not dead

Well this project has been shoved way back but it it still isn't dead. I haven't really made any progress due to lifes curve balls. The car now has some serious frame damage and is going to be replaced with a new (possibly build) car hopefully soon. Recently most of my cash has been into a truck. I purchased a 1974 Chevy k10 with out an engine. I'll be moving soon so I've been really pressing to get it going. It is now and you can see its build log in my signature. The next few things money goes to is gunna be a welder (needed for the build) and a floor for the shop. I'm tired of working in this powder and need a cleaner and harder floor to work on. After that, I plan to start working on my grandpas 72 Chevy that's been sitting for about 35 years. Good news is, I may have sourced a GM NV4500, 14bolt, and a second set of 63" springs for the toy. If this works out then I'll need just a front axle still and I can start the axle swap.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:51 AM

Yet again things have changed. My mom has decided to sell her 92 Chevy and let me keep the NV4500. No axles yet though so meh. I have finally purchased a welder last week so once I take care of a bad bee hive that's been recently built into the walls of the shop I will likely start getting the engine and trans in. I have made a divorced t-case adapter but still haven't made a coupler yet. It's still going to be slow going as I have now bought a 1977 Caprice and it will be built into my daily driver using the engine and trans from my 95 so it is on top of the list of priorities with the floor in the shop