86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

karlm-c's 1986 2WD Pickup Build-Up Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the latest thing I've done, besides constant tweaks to carb and clutch (I just can't seem to get my clutch adjusted perfectly) was to build my kit. Tool kit, air pump, MSR stove, fuel and a pot, mounted an axe and threw my folding army shovel in there. It all goes well with my complete bottle jack kit

I still a harchet i wanna mount somewhere in here too
after the snow yesterday, which became wet and slushy, I've been thinking about getting a set of chains. 2, for the rear.

anyone have experience with these? I was thinking of getting these

QG1850 with the rubber tensioner. They have good reviews and look good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BR8U9A/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

for 70 bucks can't really go wrong, right?
Old 12-18-2016, 05:10 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Another idea might be to invest in a detroit Tru trac. they are spendy, but with 2wd and slushy conditions, it might be your best bang for buck upgrade. plus, nice having the extra traction in summer too.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
70$ Is cheaper than a tow., and probably AAA
A True trac is about..
Seven pairs of chains, Six AAA's, Five tow chains, Four tow trucks, Three flat beds,, Two caved in grilles, And a Detroit truetrac
... yes sing it to the 7 days of christmas, I couldn't resist. The math is sound for the first and last one mostly

My two wheeler has a set of chains under the seats, but I have never put them on. Once you are stuck it's kind of too late, since you can't roll over them to put them on and I usually only get stuck in my parking spot or at the end of the driveway because I got plowed under. I wouldn't mind a limited slip diff one bit, it's a very good upgrade, nothing infuriates me more than being stuck and having to keep switching from one side to the other clearing enough room to get the momentum to get back on top of the cruddy ice.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 AM

nice pictures! keep up the good work... Glad I'm finally not the only 2wd guy on here.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
70$ Is cheaper than a tow., and probably AAA
A True trac is about..
Seven pairs of chains, Six AAA's, Five tow chains, Four tow trucks, Three flat beds,, Two caved in grilles, And a Detroit truetrac
... yes sing it to the 7 days of christmas, I couldn't resist. The math is sound for the first and last one mostly

My two wheeler has a set of chains under the seats, but I have never put them on. Once you are stuck it's kind of too late, since you can't roll over them to put them on and I usually only get stuck in my parking spot or at the end of the driveway because I got plowed under. I wouldn't mind a limited slip diff one bit, it's a very good upgrade, nothing infuriates me more than being stuck and having to keep switching from one side to the other clearing enough room to get the momentum to get back on top of the cruddy ice.
We got about 5 inches the other day, and I went out with my uncle in he new Dodge Ram and there were 2 hills he couldn't get up in 4 wheel drive, and one of those hills is on my way to work. So I realized, since it was warm wet snow, even a few inches could get me stuck, so I think I will use them if we get more snow like that. And really, for 78 bucks, I'll try anything. I probably have double that of parts I bought just sitting in my basement that didn't fit and weren't worth sending back.

And, I think that my truck will look badass with chains on it. I drive back roads to work in the best of weather to avoid the highway, so going 30 to work will be easy.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by shoes138
nice pictures! keep up the good work... Glad I'm finally not the only 2wd guy on here.
2wd all the way! That's what I wanted for my daily driver, easier to work going forever. I bought this with 129,128 miles on it, and I expect it to last forever.

While I say that, the more I look around on here, on instagram, on other forums and image galleries, I will definitely be getting a 1980 4x4 at some point. And a FJ60 Landcruiser at some point. So while I like the 2wd for my daily driver, now that I understand mechanics more and are getting better at wrenching, I will be going 4wheel at some point. If my goals of opening my own shop actually happen, all of this should be easy!

Last edited by karlm-c; 12-19-2016 at 05:27 AM.

Search this Thread