86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JonnyBoy's 1990 4Runner build

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice build so far. looking forward to seeing more
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 PM

Maybe one day. At this rate we're probably going to be busy enough to extend the contract with the helicopter. Anyway, thanks for looking Toyotech, your rigs are pretty damn nice.

I'll update with any small stuff, but I'm not gonna reveal the big project til it's all done!

Shut up Moze!
Old 09-10-2012, 12:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Jonny....

Things have been INSANE for me, off and on... And I've been pretty much STUCK around this area until we can find a solution to "our need for placement assistance" with my Stepfather.

Anyway, .... I sure wish we could meet up.... I was thinking of hitting the Angeles Crest again this weekend... BUT, ... not sure that would get me near ya. Heck, you might be back home already, right? lol.

Lemme know whatcha think... I'm just kinda static in the schedule...... BUT, I could get away for a couple hours maybe?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Well, not much to update, some parts purchases got delayed due to the expense of this
(imagine a picture of my fat self holding up an iPad...better figure out pasting img codes before too long since it's basically replacing my laptop)
If you can help me out how to paste pics from photobucket on an iPad, lemme know! Meanwhile, be expecting more dechroming pics after somebody helps me out.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:28 PM

No clue on the iPad, Jonny... sorry man. Can't just drag them here from the PB window? (you know, having 2 tabs open, Yotatech.com and PB.com... then drag it over to the Yotatech tab down there/up there, whatever you have it like.... then as Yotatech opens, drop it in the window?

Also, doesn't 'AUTO COPY' work when you view the individual pictures? If so, just click it, ... then click 'ctrl' and 'P' ??? Maybe it's N... P might be print.. Can't remember.

Ok, I'll stop, I probably sound like the APPLE-ILLITERATE THAT I AM! :hillbilly: hehee.

PS> Again, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet up with you, Jonny... I felt bad, man! Hope you're not thinking I'm a flake on purpose! hahaha.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Haha, are you kidding about being a flake? I know people are busy, maybe better than most. I'm still not sure how I got as much fun in as I did this summer.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Figured it out, no thanks to all the flakes checking out my build! <joke, by the way, in case something is lost in translation via text
Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 PM

Hahaha.... Hey, it's you, taking a picture of you... And a CAT FIGHT about to break off, of course... ... Looks like that Black one is NOT happy with the white one getting all the attention
Old 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Oh, the black one(Rambo) is never happy about much of anything, and Jake was just bugging him when I took that pic.

So, I started taking my doors apart to take off the door handles for painting, but saw that a few of the plastic rod keepers were busted, so I decided I'd just order new ones, since I needed new mirrors anyhow. Well, let me warn you if you try to get them from these guys:
http://www.drivewire.com/search/?N=0...-Door%20Handle
The rear handles seem to work ok, but the front door handles won't pull up enough to actually open the door. This was after I had to trim part of the frame of it so I could even fit the handle in the door. Tomorrow I'll take the handle apart and see if I can modify it to work, seeing as how I already modified it and can't return it. It was also pretty disappointing to find that the "primered" outside mirrors I'd ordered ended up being chrome, so I guess I get to sandpaper, prime, and paint them tomorrow, too.
Overall pretty disappointed with the products, made in Taiwan, but I'll go ahead and make them work for now.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM

Dang! I will now remind myself of how grateful I am to have a PYPart near me! Sorry brudda... that sux!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Tell me about it! Sometimes the best and the worst part about living up here is nobody else being up here! I should have a more efficient little car for getting around soon, though. A guy at work has an 01 Subaru forester that has an oil leak his mechanic just couldn't figure out. 20 minutes of googling "common problems 01 forester" turned up that it's a known issue that the head gaskets will leak oil externally. He's gonna sell it to me for $1000 unless somebody pays more for it before I pay him all of it. It'll be nice to get better than 20 mpg again!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM

Yeah, no kidding on the Mileage. ....... haha... BUT, it's funny... I could drive the CRV more(2003)...which gets around 24-25 at best...... I almost ALWAYS choose to drive my truck! haha.

This is why I've LONG wanted to do the 3RZ.... Just a matter of TIME AND MONEY! Not as much the money factor, as I could save, ya know? BUT ,.... time, wow, that's a while to be down if I don't have someone like JDM in NM to do, as he said, "IN a weekend, tops " hahaha. Actually, he said, "have everything ready I tell ya... Fly me out, and let me crash out there... POOF, one weekend, we'll knock it out NO PROBLEM!

He's doing 2JZTTE Swaps into them now, etc., hahaha... He's become a sought after dude out there, apparently. Anyway, I'm kinda torn, as I DO LOVE the idea of the 1UZ.... but, NO ROOM to work on it.. and the 3RZ actually has pretty good lil pep, all I would need, and I'd most likely end up with around 22-25mpg's? YEAH, I think that's an easy one compared to 15-18mpg's with the 1UZ, ya know?

Wow, great news on the Subie... that's a great lil wagon! My buddy has 325 on it... I think that HG issue was a recall, early 2000's? You might get a great deal there, man! How many miles?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:30 PM

220k, but it runs like a top! I've had a couple subies before, I really like em, and since it's awd I'll be able to drive it anywhere I'd drive my Runner. With the exception of some trails, of course.

Edit: it wasn't a full recall like Toyota did on the head gaskets and relay rod, it was a conditioner chemical to put in the rad to prevent corrosion of the gaskets and gasket replacement only if that chemical was added, coolant flushed every 30,000 mi, and it was less than 8 years or 100k frome original purchase. I should still be able to fix it myself and have paid less than the car is worth. I even told the guy it's still worth more than he's asking me to buy it for, but he and his wife just want it gone.

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 10-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 PM

Wow, that was nice of ya! lol. Reverse psychology, right? hehe... jk... That's the right thing to do, especially if it's someone in a small town WHERE YOU LIVE! lol. "Hey, therrrrrrrrrrres Jonny.... rollin our Subie after a quicky repair! Get the eggs, honey!"
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 AM

I won't even show you how I modded the door handles to fit, it's totally not worth the hassle. I will show you why not to buy "Kool Vue" anything, though.

This is my original pass side mirror electrical connection:

The connection the new mirror came with:

Also, the wire colors didn't match and the length was about 5 inches too short!
It's a good thing I didn't start painting these before I compared old and new.

Edit: Finished product of door handles, at least

DON'T GET KOOL VUE PARTS FOR A 90 RUNNER!

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 10-30-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:12 PM

GEEESH! Talk about a square peg into a round hole! lol. That's incredibly negligent, Jonny... Just NOT acceptable to do business that way. WOW!
Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM

I know. I'm still a little too mad to call them about returning their crap, have to do it when I get back from Vegas now. In your wanderings at the yards, keep an eye out for black front door handles and black or just even operating power side mirrors for me. I'll pay you a good finders fee Chef!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM

Had to rebuild the starter again! Has anyone else had their starter keep having problems whenever it gets cold?

This time I didn't change out the contacts, they looked fine, but I did a serious cleaning with an old toothbrush and some electrical parts cleaner. That stuff is just plain nasty, shoulda worn some latex gloves or something, but it seems to be working fine again. If it starts having problems again I'll just have to pony up the $200 for a new one.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 AM

On with the dechrome(more of blackout at this point, actually). Locking hubs were moving a little not so smoothly, so I figured some cleaning and greasing was in order, so I decided paint was in order, too.

I might use this on more parts in the future, it's Rustoleum hammered black.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice rig man!! have you had any issues with the cv joints?? I'm in Canada where do I find the ball joint spacers? or are they something i could fabricate? do you find the 3.4 is any better on fuel than the 3vz? sorry just am debating on the same setup but thinking of turboing my 22re ! instead but I do have an rf150 for a v6 so maybe? what did the rear lift springs cost you? I've been having a hard time finding some as my rear springs are screwed 100 pounds = 1 inch drop lol! my old truck could take 500 and drop half as much lol!

Quick Reply: JonnyBoy's 1990 4Runner build