86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JonnyBoy's 1990 4Runner build

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stew, a buddy borrowed my Runner to get up into the mtns and out of the heat for his day off, but when he gets back I'll check with a tape and stuff. It doesn't really look like it'll fit without interfering just by eyeballing our pics together, though.

Chef, I like that runner, too! And like you, I'm not really a fan of the(in my opinion) obnoxious height stingers, either.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chef, I love how that bumper looks like a football face sheild!

Jonny, I tried to get one of those hillbilly stingers but they sent the wrong one.

I'm a bit bummed as I think the big stinger is so rediculous that it's awesome. I mean it's already lifted and on 35's which is already redneck so I figure might as well go all out!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Stew, a buddy borrowed my Runner to get up into the mtns and out of the heat for his day off, but when he gets back I'll check with a tape and stuff. It doesn't really look like it'll fit without interfering just by eyeballing our pics together, though. I'm not positive, but I believe there is an entire thread on Pirate or T4R or some site, which I started reading, and it was solely dedicated to tire carrier fitment, etc., ya know? Maybe it was 4x4wire.com? There IS one that fits, I'm sure of it... Maybe 4xinnovations? I think they even MAKE the carrier ones, but don't quote me, haha. Might wanna take a look at Ironbull.com? I'm not positive on that one, either(as to whether they even make them for 90+ runners, let alone First Gens).... but MAN I think their stuff is SICK! haha... I would like one of their rear ones and front ones, ...but WOW, a lil pricey for me(as is ARB) I like ARB bumpers up front... But I just like the lil extra curves of the Iron Bull ones up there, a lil more.... NO? hahaha.

Chef, I like that runner, too! And like you, I'm not really a fan of the(in my opinion) obnoxious height stingers, either.
Obnoxious... yeah, I guess you could say that, haha... SOME stinger looks ok, but 3ft. up? Lil much for me. But then, ..... I don't have to buy it, right? And I HAVE seen set ups on certain colors/crawlers that look SICK! AND,....they do get used/serve to SAVE, LITERALLY, many rigs. Not needed for me. An IRONBULL might be overkill as well, for me, haha... I just like em. Maltese4runner(great dude! ), I believe, has one like you as well.

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
Chef, I love how that bumper looks like a football face sheild!

Jonny, I tried to get one of those hillbilly stingers but they sent the wrong one.

I'm a bit bummed as I think the big stinger is so rediculous that it's awesome. I mean it's already lifted and on 35's which is already redneck so I figure might as well go all out!
Hahahaha... Yeah, as I drove around today, I thought that very thing. Like a Catchers Mask, actually, is what I was thinking... But yes, Football mouth guard would work haha.

I just never saw one like that before..... curious who makes it or if he did is all. I should just call him... but then, .... I MIGHT JUST HEAD OUT AND GET IT! CAN'T HAVE THAT!

http://ironbullbumpers.com/t4run.html#M

http://ironbullbumpers.com/ttacoma.html#M

http://ironbullbumpers.com/tfjc.html#M

http://ironbullbumpers.com/ttundra.html#M

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-22-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:48 PM

Stew, still haven't done a real world measure, very sorry. Work got real busy here and we've spent every day since sunday on or supporting a lightning fire on our forest.
As an idea, if you like the plate style, these can be had with a integrated hitch:
http://tacticalarmorgroup.com/TAGSto...7/Default.aspx
I will get to measuring as soon as I can, though.

Jumper- send that garbage back if you wanted a stinger! If someone sent me something other than what I specifically ordered, they better be a moral enough company to pay to make it right or discount my order enough to make it right!

Chef, I would totally rock an obnoxious 3 ft stinger on my '83, seeing as how it's my crawler. Even if I get rid of it, though, I highly doubt the Runner will ever be a full on crawler. Maybe if, heaven/God/Allah/whoever you pray to forbid, it got rolled or totaled, it might. Not until then, though.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh don't worry about it man, I ordered a WabFab bumper and i'm just going to cut some of it off to fit around the hinge, thanks though!
Old 07-28-2012, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I agree but after all the delays I can't be bothered. It took almost a month to get it shipped.....
Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Well, not much to update, but something noteworthy to me is that I'm on another fire earning more money for upgrades! Just hope I have time to pull off my big plans before winter really sets in. Chef, you'd like it up here(Bald Mountain on the Stanislaus NF), probably been up here, though, since you seem to have been to every cool place in Cali as well as many of the not-so cool places.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Beautiful country! Glad for ya, man!

Hey Stew..... lemme guess... haven't seen it, but I'm assuming you liked 'TED'? hahaha.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Hey man I hate to thread jack you but I just had a quick question, hopefully someone shall answer. When you removed your rear too install the marlin, did you encounter these mounting plates on the side holding the side of the bumper on? And if so did you just remove them? I removed one bolt and there is what looks like another plate on the inside but I don't see a way to get it out?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:20 PM

The rear had been removed from my Runner for ages before I got the Marlin rear, but I do remember those brackets. I simply unbolted and removed those brackets, and don't remember the plates from the inside falling in and making any noise or anything. I actually put the bolts back in after the bracket was removed, too. I always do that, kinda like the sway bar bracket bolts. Ensures that the threads stay clean if I ever replace the parts with stock parts and needs those bolt holes.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Okay, one side fell in but the other one is good. Thanks man!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Ok Stew, fiiiiiiiine, don't tell me if you liked Ted, the movie with the bear in your ID pic....

JK... how's it, Stew?

JK, .... I hope, lol.

How are ya, Jonny? You guys get any snow at all? Trying to see if someone was pulling my leg! hahaha. I didn't see anything on that.. but hey, never know. I've skied Mammoth on July 4th!

Any updates? I have one.... or few... but my main one? I'M GETTING OLD FASTER THAN I'D LIKE! .............. Wait,....<< that makes me look more old... NVM >>> ....... hehe... take care, man!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:00 AM

Well Chef, unfortunately(and fortunately as well) I still haven't been back home to know if Mammoth got snow. I heard it rained like Hell in Bishop a day or two ago, though, so I s'pose it's possible. I'm still in Stanislaus country, on R & R days in Sonora.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 AM

Haha sorry chef, at first I only I went to see Mila Kunis wrapped in a towel but I ended up enjoying the movie
Old 08-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Mila Kunis in a towel? I must see this now.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Mila Kunis in a towel? I must see this now.
Ok, you're obviously not a movie nut like me, hahaha.... I'm guessing you've not seen "Forgetting Sara Marshall" ? lol. Yeah, she's a hottie, for sure. I thought she was probably the best actor on 70's show, too. lol.

I hear ya, Stew.... and I was TOTALLY kidding, lol. Ted was funny? I heard REALLY filthy... But then, "I heard" is often not too accurate, lol. I REALLY thought I'd HATE Bridesmaids... but OMGOSH, I laughed HARD at that. Bit dirty/filthy... but more in an 'embarrassing' type of filthy way, lol.

Want to see "hit and run", too.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Oh no, I've seen Forgetting Sara Marshall. I don't really get to be a "movie nut" in the summer, what with overtime and only the theater in Bishop or Ridgecrest near me. Last great movie I've seen in the theater was Avatar in 3D, I happened to be in Sacramento for training then.

On the vehicular side of this thread, I've aquired almost everything for the next big project now that I've had so much overtime. Just need to figure out the desired spring rate and get springs, and I'm pretty sure I'll have everything.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:48 AM

I hear ya. But hmmmm, 'big project'... Would that possibly be SAS? Hmmmmmmmmm? loll
Old 08-25-2012, 12:47 PM

It's suspension, you'll see when it's done...I might even be lowering it!
Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 PM

I CALL BLAZE LAND OR CADDY KIT FROM TC! HAHAHA.. I swear, everytime I dig into this, I think "I should at least LOOK INTO SAS or whatever, something.... all the time and money I've spent over this last couple years....." Then realizing.... "dayum... I've got it even MORE restored now... Pretty much the entire suspension and drivetrain aside from the trans is restored! "......... Then realizing, "Hey, she does pretty good.... guess'n I'll just enjoy it more, .... so take that, SELF!"

Can't wait to see. I just updated my build with a bunch of stuff... Gonna add more details, lots... but I've had it pretty rough the last few days with that whole 'life' thing! lol.

ENJOY THE R&R!!!!!!

Quick Reply: JonnyBoy's 1990 4Runner build