86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice 4runner you have there. How goes the rebuild?
Old 12-08-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Janos01
Nice 4runner you have there. How goes the rebuild?
Thanks, this is certainly my favorite vehicle to date- and my ninth Toyota. The rebuild is going much slower than I'd like. However, we did just have another baby and I work full time... the build is a hobby of sorts. This is going to be my daily driver, though, and I'll need to sell my '03 4Runner to pay for some of the expense of this build. I would hope to be back on the road this spring.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Great rebuild, it looks like you're doing a really good job! I was just there and trying to do it while in school and working a job. It can be hard to find time and took me a lot longer than I had planned, but it's well worth it, just stick to it! Keep up the good work and attention to detail!
Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
Great rebuild, it looks like you're doing a really good job! I was just there and trying to do it while in school and working a job. It can be hard to find time and took me a lot longer than I had planned, but it's well worth it, just stick to it! Keep up the good work and attention to detail!
Thanks. I really enjoyed reading your build thread, serious attention to detail! How are you liking the OME springs? I know I said at the beginning that I planned to keep it stock height, but I'm now strongly considering the 2" OME in the rear and a pair of 4crawler BJ spacers up front. It seems that the modest lift is about the only option for new rear springs- although I never checked to see if Toyota has them available. Plus it sounds like a lot of folks have had the OME springs settle a bit, particularly on the 4runners, so after a while I may be able to relax the t-bars a bit for a better ride; this is also to be a family vehicle. Later in the build I hope to demonstrate that fitting three car seats across the back seat is in fact possible.
Again, though, really great truck you have there, inspiring work.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

I was in the exact same situation as you when deciding what to about suspension. I originally wanted to keep it stock height, but like you said, new springs are only available in lifted height. I have been very happy with OME's suspension package. I was a bit concerned initially, because it was just extremely stiff right after installing it. Especially being in a Pickup with very little weight in the back, and coming from such a bouncy ride. but after a few weeks it softened up a bit, and really rode superb with about 300 pounds in the bed. It's still firm, but not too firm. I really like it. I'm sure it would be even better suited for a 4Runner with the extra weight in the back, since the rear springs really are made to have a constant load of a couple hundred pounds, which would be equal to the normal weight of a 4Runner. Everyone has said it and I'll just add to the chorus, that you really can't go wrong with OME.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:56 PM

I put in a couple hours this afternoon. Preparing to pull the motor and transmission. Ran into a really stubborn bolt, but I think I'll be okay- I may need to abandon my plan to pull the motor and tranny at the same time. If I separate and pull them individually I can access the one stupid stubborn bolt. It's one of the four 14mm bolts holding the transmission mounts to the tranny. I've now rounded it off and getting to it above the crossmember is about impossible. I figure if I drop the transmission with the crossmember still attached I'll be able to maneuver it enough to get the bolt off. I'm optimistic this will work okay. I also was unable to remove the four bolts holding the flange on the back end of the front drive shaft. I cranked on them with a couple of 14mm box wrenches but those suckers wouldn't budge. Another reason to just drop all this from under the truck and work on it with some space.
Perhaps if I'd been able to cuss a little at the bolts I would have had success, but I had some shop help today:

Old 12-10-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Perhaps if I'd been able to cuss a little at the bolts I would have had success, but I had some shop help today
Yup, there's your problem right there.

Oh well though, better to be a good example, hahaha.

Cute kiddo, and keep the the work on the build!
Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 PM

Regarding the transmission mount, why not separate the bolts from the crossmember to the mount itself? Theres four bolts that hold the mount to the crossmember from underneath as well as the four bolts that hold the mount to the trans. From what I read I think you're trying to get to the bolts that attach the mount to the trans itself. I also think pulling them separately would be a lot easier with maneuvering.

I think the rear flange of the front driveshaft would be easier to break free with the crossmember out of the way. But I have also dropped one of these transmissions by just separating the driveshaft from the front diff.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Awesome work and lots of patience! Thanks for sharing, and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
Regarding the transmission mount, why not separate the bolts from the crossmember to the mount itself? Theres four bolts that hold the mount to the crossmember from underneath as well as the four bolts that hold the mount to the trans. From what I read I think you're trying to get to the bolts that attach the mount to the trans itself. I also think pulling them separately would be a lot easier with maneuvering.
You're correct about the bolts being the ones that hold the mount to the transmission. But from what I see there are not four bolts holding the mounts to the crossmember- just one big one in the center. There is only about a 1/4" of clearance above it and not enough room on either side to get a wrench on it and turn it. If there are additional bolts holding it to the crossmember, I can't access them, though when I get back at it tomorrow I will certainly look again! I also agree with you about it being easier to pull them separately- the more I've thought about it, just contending with the weight of the motor and trans together is daunting.
I did get the front drive shaft disconnected from the front diff so if the driveshaft comes out with the transmission and crossmember all still attached then I'm okay with that.
How ever it all goes down tomorrow I'll be sure to take some pictures!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Awesome work and lots of patience! Thanks for sharing, and Happy Holidays!
Thank you and Happy Holidays to you too! I am very familiar with your work as I've spent many hours reading through your many posts. I appreciate your encouragement.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Look into the crossmember from underneath the mount, there's four 12mm bolts that attach the mount to the crossmember. They're usually covered in oil and dirt. If I read this an hour ago I would've taken a picture for you as I was under my truck.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:26 PM

Great work. I have been rebuilding mine a little over time. Great looking rig you got. We are not too far apart. I am in Bristol. I recently picked up a 1985 22re 4Runner. Watching your thread for inspiration.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:40 AM

Currently underneath my truck. The my two fingers are pointing to the slots in the crossmember. And the other pic is of two of the four bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Joe's 1987 4Runner-image.jpeg  
Old 12-12-2015, 09:42 AM

Pic two.
Attached Thumbnails Joe's 1987 4Runner-image.jpeg  
Old 12-12-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
Look into the crossmember from underneath the mount, there's four 12mm bolts that attach the mount to the crossmember. They're usually covered in oil and dirt. If I read this an hour ago I would've taken a picture for you as I was under my truck.
They look something like this:

Thanks! I looked up there with a flashlight and there they were!

And success:

Thank you TransAmBandit for taking the time to post those pictures!

Last edited by ladybugRC; 12-12-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:24 PM

The engine took some wiggling but it broke loose and lifted right out:

And because I could detach the transmission from the crossmember I pretty much followed the procedure from the Haynes Manual to remove the transmission. Lowering down and out took some doing and it came with the front driveshaft still attached (which was a breeze to remove sitting on the floor)

And it feels great.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Erik Hinch
Great work. I have been rebuilding mine a little over time. Great looking rig you got. We are not too far apart. I am in Bristol. I recently picked up a 1985 22re 4Runner. Watching your thread for inspiration.
Thanks Erik. I think that's one of the best things about Yotatech: we all keep each other inspired!
Old 12-12-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
I think that's one of the best things about Yotatech: we all keep each other inspired!
I can't tell you how true this statement is. We all get fed up with the tedious tasks of working on our trucks at some point or another. There have been many times that I have gotten tired and discouraged, but after watching the successes of many builds on Yotatech, have been re-energized for my own build. It's a great thing to be a part of!
Old 12-13-2015, 10:53 PM

You're welcome! Im glad I could be of some help.

Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner