86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ether's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ether's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Well, i was going to wait to start this thread until tomorrow, but im so happy with my yota, that i don't want to wait.

After 2 Years of driving Jeeps, ( 2 Grand Cherokees, and a Wrangler) I sold my Wrangler, and started the search for a yota. Ive always had a love for the first gen 4runners, so i started looking. There was nothing in the state of pennsylvania that hadnt been almost destroyed, or was extremely overpriced. So i started looking out of state, and found a nice, 89 4runner near Baltimore Maryland. I called him up, asked him some questions and if hed do some negotiating, and he did, so i decided to take a look at it.

So today, after a 200 mile drive down to baltimore, we finally arrived where he agreed to meet us. I fell in love with the truck the minute i saw it.

~Here's the specs of the truck~

1989 Toyota 4Runner

~22RE
~ Auto Tranny
~ New Transfercase
~ Body completely reconditioned, and repainted ( He said he paid 2800 dollars at the body shop)
~ Brand new Procomp Mud Terrains, on brand new Black Procomp Wheels
~ Brand New Soft-topper Soft Top
~Frame Sandblasted and undercoated
~ All Vinyl/Leather interior, And the dash IS NOT CRACKED!
~ Front End lifted with parts from ToyTec
~ Rear lifted with TJ Wrangler Coils
~ Like New ARB Bumper

This honestly has to be one of the nicest condition first gens ive seen. I was completely shocked when i saw it.

$4000 later, it was home!

I plan on using it for (hopefully if all gets approved) Search and Rescue, and expedition style wheeling.

Let the chaos begin!

Pics will be up tomorrow!

~Josh~
Old 11-28-2010, 04:01 PM

well.. its tomorrow.

i dont believe any of this due to the lack of pictures.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:42 AM

Yeaaahh yeahh i know..

Ive been getting off late at work, and its been too dark after work to take any pictures, but i finally got around to taking some today. Here they are

Enjoy!

~Josh~
Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 AM

Wow. That is one PRISTINE east coast 4Runner. What's the build up going to be?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks! I hear you on that one. The east coast is rough on them.

As for build, its got a nice start. I love the look and feel, so heres what i doing for now, then ill go from there.

~ Smittybilt XRC8

~ Budbuilt Skids

~ Replace the Carr Steps with Rock Sliders.

~ Build a rear bumper with a tire/ jerry can carrier

~ Roof Rack

Those are a few things im thinking of. And lots of smaller mods, as i plan on using it for Search and Rescue, and expedition/ overlanding.

Ill keep the thread updated, glad you like it!

~Josh~

Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
God that's so clean! I'm super jealous of your ARB front bumper! I like the truck minus that automatic transmission lol (sorry i had to!) What size lift is that?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:11 AM

I was told its about 4 inches on the lift. Toytec parts up front, and TJ coils and extended bump-stops in the rear.

I love the ARB too! Ive been saving for one for when i finally got my new rig, but this one already had one, so its going towards the winch and some other stuff.

As for the auto goes, i dont really have a preference. I drive 3 different shift patterns all day at work (3 different trucks) So its nice to have the auto sometimes. I was always told toyota's auto tranny's were gutless, but i have no problems with this. I dont regret it at all. I also didnt want to be messing around with a manual for search and rescue as well.

Thanks for the compliments!

~Josh~

Last edited by Ether; 12-01-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:33 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
That is a clean truck! Looks really nice@!
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Thanks man, Much appreciated! I cant wait to start modding it some more!

~Josh~
Old 12-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
That is beautiful! Apparently you got the 4WD just in time(snow). You have the same vinyl interior that I have-it's a DLX. Do you get much wind whistle/noise from the soft top?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 PM

No wind whistle or noise. No heat loss, not chilly at all. Its a great top. I have to get some seam sealer and go over all the seams, because it leaks a little water where its sewn together. Other than that, i love the top! Nice and cozy feeling while you're inside!

Thanks!

~Josh~

Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Well its been a while, I did a few small mods, (CB, New Antennas, etc.)

I also got my XRC8 Mounted up in the ARB. Its a great winch for the money, i had to winch an old dodge pickup out with it so far. He had the front end of his truck over a cliff on the way up to a ski resort. I got him out, but had to anchor to a Chevy because it was pulling me down.

Here are a few updated pics:

I just ordered up a set of 4xInnovations Tube doors, quick release hinges, and a set of their rock sliders with the kick-out on them. I cant wait to get them on. Im going tomorrow to get a cost on a GoLight Model 3049.

Next on the agenda is most likely going to be an SAS and tummy tuck. Does anyone know of a good IFS eliminator kit for the money, or would i be better off making the parts myself? Also, any recommendations on a tummy tuck kit?

I'm also looking for a pipe bender so i can start making my rear bumper. I really like DIRTCO's Rear Stinger, however i think im going to end up going with something flip out so i can mount some extra equipment to it, seeing as i cant put a roof rack on my yota.

Ive been tossing around the idea of repainting my truck. I think it looks good the way it is, but im ready for something different. Ive always loved the flat desert (coyote tan) but i've also contemplated Olive Drab, a dark forest green, Dune beige, and yellow. If anyone has any opinions, they would be much appreciated! I'm leaning toward flat tan, i love the look of Mountain Cop's Firerunner.

Time to get this build in gear!
Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
good lookin rig... but at 4K i guess you paid for it..
Old 05-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Painting anything other than the original color lowers the resale value by about $1000. Olive drab and tan trucks are poser. Join the military already.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oh and nice pics
Old 05-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice find, I like the color as it is. Clean inside and out. Soft top would be nice.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
truck looks amazing man, good look.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM

WHat a runner! are you doing anything like re gearing? and what size tires are you running>
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it, im going to leave the paint for now, until i get it scratched up enough to have a reason to paint it, then im going gloss dune beige or gloss red.

I was thinking about re-gearing, im not sure when ill do it though. I was debating an SAS, so if i do that, gears will come at the same time.

At the moment im running Procomp M/T's : 32x11.50 R15.

I love these tires, but when they wear out id like to get the Procomp Extreme MT in a 35. They look aggressive and supposedly do well all around. And im happy with procomp thus far.

Adam @ 4xInnovations Said that his sliders should be done around wednesday of this week, so hopefully ill be seeing those with my tube doors next week.

Hopefully i can go pick up my Golight today and get that mounted up!

I took my truck to the local cruise in yesterday and got some good compliments. I was pretty happy, i have to go out and clean the interior a little better now.. Its a beautiful day, i decided to take off for once, ive been working 55 hour weeks, so i was ready for one.

Ill post up some pics shortly of some little mods i did to the truck!

Last edited by Ether; 12-03-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:05 PM

Well, im back again! I finally got time to get everything but my glasspack on. I got the tube doors mounted up, the quick release hinges bolted on, the sliders welded up, and the lightbar wired up.

Im definitely happy with where its at now. I have everything i need, and ive wheeled it quite a bit, and its very capable.

Here are some pics of my rig at its current state, and some pics of my gear setups and whatnot. Sorry for the crappy cell pics..

Overall:

Tube Doors and Sliders:

Carr Lightbar- [ Four Hella 500FF's, One GoLight Stryker. ( I still have to wire loom the wires)]

Rear:

Front ( Favorite bumper sticker ive found yet)

More pics coming of mods/switches/etc.

Last edited by Ether; 06-18-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Ether's 1989 4Runner Build-Up Thread