86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Drmix's 93 Extended Cab Pickup Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Drmix's 93 Extended Cab Pickup Build Thread

Heres my 93 Toyota pickup I bought a couple months ago for $2400. Its a V6 SR5 with extended cab. It came with some brand new 31x10.50 tires. Motor seems pretty strong.

This is my 2nd yota with my last one being a 4runner the same year. I love this truck because it reminds me of my 4runner but it a 5 speed.

The body is in pretty good condition with no rust at all. It does have dings and dents but hey its a truck after all.

What I have done so far is:
*Replace the windshield
*Fixed the drivers door lock
*Fixed broken tailgate handle
*Added a 12in Orion sub
*Took off mangled front valence
*Aisin manual hubs
*Redline MT-90 in the tranny
*Synthetic in the diffs
*Installed CB
*20% tint all around
*Upgraded headlight harness
*Upgraded to H4s
*Red LED dash lights

What I plan on doing is:
*Solid axle swap
*35's or 37s
*New bumpers and sliders
*Lockers front and rear
*Replace my factory speakers because they suck
*Herculine the bed
*3.4 swap when the 3VZE dies
*De-Chrome everything

Heres the only pics I have so far after a fresh wax. You could tell the paint needed it.

Last edited by drmix; 01-08-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
you sure thats a yota, looks alittle to clean! its nice to see another washington member with a nice truck!

get some km2s, bumpers and a locker first!

Last edited by bobby_duce; 11-20-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Nice looking truck, very clean. I'd start off with what you can afford ATM. If it were me I'd skip the tires for now. Form the price of new tires and wheels to fit the 12.5" tires, you could buy your susp. items, locker, sliders, and maybe a rear bumper - all of which combined will get you further than the new tires. The ATs will also be better in the winter.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Yeah I think im gonna go with the rear locker 1st then armor
Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats a pretty yota.

I believe I would get some armor and then a locker.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM

So today I bought a welder. Im gonna be messing around with that for a while then hopefully build bumpers and sliders for my truck after I get use to it. I got a couple ideas for what im gonna do for the rear bumper but havent thought of the rest. Should be fun!
Old 12-15-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your truck looks amazing, its been a long time since ive seen a yota tht clean. cant wait to see your progress.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 PM

nice truck. my truck was mint like yours back in the day but with no dents. now its spray painted with dents all over hhaha

before:

now:
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by twistedyota
your truck looks amazing, its been a long time since ive seen a yota tht clean. cant wait to see your progress.
Yeah im pretty excited about getting my bumpers and sliders built not really a fan of the chrome bumpers. My buddy worked at a metal yard so we got a bunch of steel pieces to mess around and practice welding with. I am hoping to start my rear bumper in a couple weeks hopefully.I already got a couple sketches of how I want it to look.

Another issue I got to solve is I believe my head gasket is starting to go out. I noticed im starting to lose coolant slowly. Not too much but enough that I had to add maybe a 1/2 gallon or so over a month. Plus im getting the white smoke at startup. I dont think the head gasket is too bad yet but its definitely at the top of my list for fixing
Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by gary96360
nice truck. my truck was mint like yours back in the day but with no dents. now its spray painted with dents all over hhaha

before:

now:
I actually had your avatar pic saved on my computer in my toyota folder lol. I love the black on black look
Old 12-30-2010, 07:15 PM

Just wanted to give a quick update since I havent posted in a while but I picked up my overhaul gasket set and a timing belt.
The gasket set looks pretty confusing and has a ton of random gaskets in different sizes, colors and shapes.
You would think that a $330 box of random pieces would at least include a sheet of paper telling you what goes to what lol.
I am gonna start tearing everything apart tomorrow morning. I really wish it was warmer but oh well. I will also be replacing the water pump too but havent picked one up yet.

Heres a gift my girlfriend got me for christmas. A Yota hoodie!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:45 AM

So Ive been working slowly on getting head gasket replaced. Ive been working on it while I can on the weekends here and there. I got most of it out so far. Hopefully next weekend or the weekend after it should be completed.

Im sooo glad I got a company vehicle so I can get to and from work so I dont have to worry about rushing through to get it done. I cant wait to get her done and back on the road so I can start upgrading stuff
Old 01-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope it all goes well im bout to do a head gasket on mine, i know what you mean on having a second vehicle it makes life much easier. good luck
Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 PM

hey buddy. i say use your funds to get metal for fabricating your own trail armor, then start buying the unbuildable. if you need any build advise or opinions give me a pm if you wish. i can research anything that you have a question about on a truck rather than computer so i can give the best help possible (i have great accessibility to junk yards/tow yards). this goes for all reading this too. and im not all that, i just like to help out.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by E-ROC
hey buddy. i say use your funds to get metal for fabricating your own trail armor, then start buying the unbuildable. if you need any build advise or opinions give me a pm if you wish. i can research anything that you have a question about on a truck rather than computer so i can give the best help possible (i have great accessibility to junk yards/tow yards). this goes for all reading this too. and im not all that, i just like to help out.
Yeah thats what I was planning on doing first then the head gasket went out. If it wasnt for that I would be working on a rear bumper now. I cant wait to get the head gasket finished and out of the way.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Heres a gift my girlfriend got me for christmas. A Yota hoodie!
Where did she find that!? I want one!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:29 PM

I found it on yotatech and the place is actually local for me so we went and picked it up. But heres the site I ordered it from.
http://difficulttrail.com/index.php?...roducts_id=226

The have a pullover or a zipup version

Last edited by drmix; 01-21-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM

After months of being busy with replacing the head gasket, working and moving out of our old place the truck is finally done. Just drove her around the block and she runs just the way I remember.

There probably wont be very many updates or new mods since my moneys going to be going towards a new house plus I just picked up a YFZ450 about a month ago but well see.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Just a small update. Im gonna be working on piecing together my lift kit when I got extra money. The reason I went with the lifting instead of armor was because my rear is pretty saggy especially when I got my YFZ in the back. Plus my shocks look pretty darn old.

So my plan is to install BJ's in the front then 2in OME lift leafs in the rear as well as replace the shocks and bushings while im at it. I should be picking up a set of aisin manual hubs tomorrow which ill probably install in a couple weeks when I replace one of my CVs.

Another thing I plan on doing after that is rhino lining my bed since I dont really like how the plastic beds stay in place, keep moisture in and scratch paint off underneath which could rust sooner or later
Old 04-17-2011, 07:09 PM

Finally a nice day to get some work done. Today I changed my transmission fluid since I havent done it since I had the truck. I went with some mobil 1 synthetic.

I also painted and installed my manual hubs which should help my CVs especially once I get my BJs. They are factory Aisin hubs that I picked up locally for $50

Last edited by drmix; 04-17-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Drmix's 93 Extended Cab Pickup Build Thread