86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

de6w6it's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Flat Black Lemon"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
yeah, I was going to take pics while I did my flange swap and such, but I always get involved, and then I am done, and realize, hey, i didn't take any pictures! I will try and get some up while I do all this stuff
Old 08-08-2010, 02:19 PM

well, started parting out the 85 pickup, i posted it in the part out forum in the classified section if any one is interested. I got the case and driveshafts to use, and I got the second case yesterday. So I know have two cases to put together. Now I need to find a W56 trans (as the gears in mine are screaming) and then I can do the trans and duals all in one. I have the driveshafts to use as parts, so I can have a shop pre-make one up for me. I also got my beautiful new to me tailgate with glass, regulator, harness, etc. installed:

dewitt
Old 08-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOO HOOOOOO! lol. Nice, man! No rust, buddy.....what a great feeling, eh?

Have a great one! PS> MORE PICS! from all angles, hahaha. PSS> did you drop it a lil, Dewit?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
good job! what kinda welder you using??
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im really liking the new tailgate and glass. looks so much cleaner
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
WOO HOOOOOO! lol. Nice, man! No rust, buddy.....what a great feeling, eh?

Have a great one! PS> MORE PICS! from all angles, hahaha. PSS> did you drop it a lil, Dewit?
ha ha thanks man
nah, didn't drop it, the rear is just decently lower than the front. real rear suspension is on the list, but not at the top ha ha
Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
good job! what kinda welder you using??
thanks a bunch man
its a lincoln 3200hd weldpak 110vac with flux core, with the heat cranked, speed slow, and beveled edges.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by lazlow
im really liking the new tailgate and glass. looks so much cleaner
hey man, hows it goin? been a while my friend. yeah, thanks, it definitely looks waayyy cleaner with the new tailgate and glass as opposed to that flip up thing i made. now i just have to fix the edges of the top around where i had my flip up window.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 AM

I also did a few mods to the interior in the center console area. The window lock switch and the up/down switch for the rear window went bad. So I wired in a new double throw, center off, momentary switch in the dash for putting the window up and down. Then, I pulled the center console, the rear part that has the compartment and mounts over the rear blower motor. Then I removed the blower motor. I took the arm rest pad my wife made me off the old console, and bolted it to the top of an ammo can. Then I drilled three holes in the bottom of the ammo can that match up to the three mounting holes for the blower motor, and :

now I have an ammo can center console with a lot more room than before. I didn't really lose anything by taking out the blower motor, as it leaked and had been by-passed by the previous owner, so it never worked. And, more importantly, I have the perfect area size-wise and location-wise for the shifter for my rear case when i get my duals in.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by de6w6it
thanks a bunch man
its a lincoln 3200hd weldpak 110vac with flux core, with the heat cranked, speed slow, and beveled edges.
sweetness! so a 110 machine can do this kinda stuff.

i was worried my 140hd weld pak 110 might not do it

Last edited by 874runnersr5; 08-10-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 AM

people like guys on pirate will say you will kill a bus load of nuns and kids, but 140-150 amps shouldn't have a problem welding what you need to do an SAS with. the welder is rated to do 1/4" with flux core multi pass, so it should be able to do 1/4" multi pass. but, most of the stuff on the SAS isn't even 1/4" so it really isn't a problem. remember flux core burns hotter and hence deeper than gas shielded solid wire at the same amperage, hence why the welder is rated for thicker material using flux core wire.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:05 PM

hey man, hows it goin? been a while my friend. yeah, thanks, it definitely looks waayyy cleaner with the new tailgate and glass as opposed to that flip up thing i made. now i just have to fix the edges of the top around where i had my flip up window.
everythings good, we should meet up again sometime i have my doors on quick release and tube doors made up. are there anymore rust spots left on it? But at least you cant fail inspection from rust anymore because nj got rid of inspections
Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by lazlow
everythings good, we should meet up again sometime i have my doors on quick release and tube doors made up. are there anymore rust spots left on it? But at least you cant fail inspection from rust anymore because nj got rid of inspections
there is still rust above rear wheel wells, and the rear quarters. but after that (ha ha ha) its all good, as the frame is pretty solid.
nj got rid of inspections? that'd be amazing.......
im up for meeting up sometime, gimme a shout
Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM

there is still rust above rear wheel wells, and the rear quarters. but after that (ha ha ha) its all good, as the frame is pretty solid.
nj got rid of inspections? that'd be amazing.......
im up for meeting up sometime, gimme a shout
yeah they got rid of all inspections except emissions of course
Old 08-10-2010, 05:23 PM

i just went to the dmv website, that is tooo crazy, i love it!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:59 AM

soooo.....my trans is ready to explode. serious whine/gear mesh, grind sound in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th. 4th was good until yesterday, now it pops out of 4th. i went to brooklyn to pick up a w56 out of an 88 runner i found on craigs list, and he decided to leave the tcase and front ds attached for the same asking price. i also picked up a top shift t case in ct. The trans a tcase from the 88 runner only had 180k on it (which seems like a lot, but is fairly low miles compared to the 280k i have on my truck). So i am going to transfer over my shifter plate with marlins seats to the new trans, re-use my clutch parts, as they only have about 40k on them, and put in a new output seal that came with.......
my doubler from marlin! so the top shift case i got in ct is currently completely dis-assembled on my bench, ready to be assembled into the crawler case. the case from the 88 will be the rear case, and i will put in a new rear seal and swap over my triple drilled flange from the case that is currently in my truck. Then next weekend my father and i are going to pull the trans and case in the truck, and replace with new trans and duals. hopefully i can scrounge some dough together and have my rear shaft made (using a front shaft from an 85) at nj driveline, and i should be good to go. i will get on the front shaft when i have time/money.
i will take some pics tomorrow while i am working and post up.

Last edited by de6w6it; 08-27-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:52 AM

Sweet, congratz on the find! Best wishes on the install, and watching for pics

Hope all else is well, Dewit,

Mark

PS> Stop by my last couple pages of the troubleshooting thread in my sig, .... GRRR, lol.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 PM

well, i as usual got into and didn't take pics during the install, which seems to have gone ok so far.
Here is the trans i picked up, which was dry on the outside until oil leaked out the shifter hole because it rolled around. virtually no metal on the drain plug, fluid looked good, and springs in shifter feel tight.

Here is the tcase that i got on the back of that trans, which is going to be my rear full case, again, fluid looked good, virtually no metal on drain plug.

And here it is in all it's glory, my crawler box, using marlin's mc07 adapter.

Once I get it in the truck, trans first, then crawl box, then rear case, i am going to clean up all the oil and grit on the outside.

Here is the boot i am using, which is the rear half of a stock boot, and the rear half of the metal retainer, which i painted. i am going to make a metal ring that my wife is going to stitch a matching material boot cover around and the ring will go under the metal plate.

And here is where hopefully by the end of tonight I will have a hole for the shifter and four holes with plastic inserts to bolt the cover/retainer/boot down with.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 AM

well, the duals and new to me tranny are in, with a big thanks to my father for helping me. i am just waiting on a rear tcase output seal and shackle plates from marlin. i got my driveshaft made at nj drive line. I used the tube, slip section, and single joint flange from my old rear shaft, and the cv from a front 85 shaft. I need the longer shackle plates to rotate the pinion up a little, and the new tcase seal because I have to swap in my triple drilled flange, and dont want to reuse the seal. Stuff should be here wednesday.

driveshaft:

floorboard:

duals with added support to stock crossmember. temporary until i get or make a new crossmember:

more:

shifters: (with a big thanks to my wife, abigail, for the boots and such)

more:

Last edited by de6w6it; 09-07-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 AM

wOOt, wOOt! Looking good, Dewit! Hope you get your parts in time and get that project sussed up where you want it ASAP! lol. Interior looks pretty good. That's a new Shifter boot, right? I need to do that when I can get all my gremlins(troubleshooting thread) sorted out. I'd like to do Carpet.... or padded vinyl... but for now, mine just needs shampooing to be honest, so I best get at it! hahaha.

NICE,.........watching!

Mark

Quick Reply: de6w6it's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread "Flat Black Lemon"