86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

dark_fairytales 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Good news, I have been making progress toward my next project, I brought this home and put it in the drive.
Name:  IMAG0216_zpsd8efe70a.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  100.9 KB
I now have vin-number two
Old 03-10-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! 3rd gen pickup?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by vang_22re
Nice! 3rd gen pickup?
you have a good eye, yes its a third gen.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm...what's the plans? Another long travel? SAS? Everything will be a lot easier without the body on the frame.

Watching...
Old 03-11-2013, 08:38 AM

my main purpose for the frame was to have the second of three Vin-number, so I can build a smog exempt Yota that will be registered as a Kit-car. As stated before, the Supra is Vin-number one and I need three Vin-numbers total.

Over the past several months I have been searching Craigeslist for a fully drivable third gen pick-up. I have determined to save my self money in the long run, I am looking specifically for a fully built Crawler with armor and lockers for around $7500. I do not care if this fully built Crawler has a SAS, because if I decide I dislike the SAS I will swap everything over to this IFS frame and go with longtravel and center mount diff., by the way I will be able to enjoy hitting the trails sooner if I purchase a fully built Crawler instead of building a rig from scratch again. Stay tuned too see what Crawler I end up buying.

The frame comes from a 91 extra cab that was parted out over two years ago. The frame does not have rust on it at all, it is super clean, many of the bolts still have there factory rust protective coating which gives the bolts a gold look. The exterior of the brake lines are also corrosion free. I was told the 3.Slow blew and the registration laps for three years, so it was decided to part the truck out, the frame is perfectly strait. Now Im back to Craigeslist in search of a Crawler, I have money to burn.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 03-11-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
awesome build plan, subscribed.
i'm rockin a 7mge, curious to see how yours turns out... didn't you say something about a small turbo? i'd be very interested to learn about that! Like you i'm not looking to drag race my truck, but i live at altitude so gaining a couple psi would be great.
also, sorry to hear about the stolen project, thieves piss me off somethin fierce!

Last edited by liveoffroad; 03-11-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
awesome build plan, subscribed.
i'm rockin a 7mge, curious to see how yours turns out... didn't you say something about a small turbo? i'd be very interested to learn about that! Like you i'm not looking to drag race my truck, but i live at altitude so gaining a couple psi would be great.
also, sorry to hear about the stolen project, thieves piss me off somethin fierce!
Thanks man, I like to try to think outside the the box when planning my build.

As for the remote turbo, I was going to run a compound setup on the 7mge. I am planing to run the K03 VW turbo and a t3/t4 in series to eliminate any turbo lag with a max pressure of 5psi. I did run the math for using just the K03 on the 7mge which will allow a max pressure of 2.3psi., the turbo would not be able too keep up with the engine if trying to go beyond 2.3psi.

The low pressure does not sound like much, but if you were to go the rout of using just the K03 at altitude, you would notice fairly large gains, as your engine is well above Sea level. To take the pressure any higher you would need to source a larger turbo, such as a t3/t4 hybid, but there would be bottom end turbo lag, which is the reason I planned to do a compound system. There are turbos out there that would fit perfect as a single turbo setup, however that size turbo is not all that common and could cost more then it is really worth. My recommendation would be to start small with the easy to find and cheap K03, and enjoy what the K03 has to offer, and then add a t3/t4 if you feel you want the 7mge to be at its full potential.

Here is a link incase you would like to understand how to read a turbo flow chart. http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91

What is your favorite thing about the 7mge in your runner?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM

that's some great info thanks! i'm not very educated on "tuning" which is what scares me about the turbo thing. bolting it on is the easy part, but making it work correctly is a different story. i guess i just need to pour over some forums and learn my stuff.
The 7mge is a great motor, like many of the threads say about it, it feels a lot like the 22re when your driving it, but with more power. I like it cuz its a simple motor, obd1 and easy to install. i made some mistakes with mine, like running 2.5" exhaust. i fell victim to the tuner forums which say that bigger is always better on the exhaust... since then i have learned a lot more. The power ban on my engine is 4-6k, which i don't hit that often, so i'm considering a 2" mandrel bent exhaust, which should give me a little more low end. that is unless i can figure this turbo thing out, then my current exhaust size should be pretty decent for that.
i do have some issues with cooling. if you try to run the factory radiator you cannot fit a puller fan and i have not had good luck with pushers. on my list before summer is to relocate the radiator forward so i can fit a nice big puller fan in there. hoping that will solve my issues. i have a lot of pictures of all my radiator problems in my build thread if you want to see more about that
Old 03-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I read about your problem with cooling in your build thread last night. I am going to try to use the radiator that is currently in the 87 Supra that I am driving now. It is a four row aluminum Mishimoto radiator with two electric fans.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the exhaust, I agree the 2.5" pipe is to large. I find the stock exhaust responds well, and I do not find that the small pipe limits the revs of the 7mge. You say your power band is between 4-6K rpms, if that is so then your pipe is way to be, especially for being that high of altitude. I get great low end torque with the stock exhaust, and pulls great through the revs.. I would recommend trying to get the exhaust as stock as possible, which will increase gas velocity and scavenge the exhaust correctly at the collector, those tuner guys are just looking for revs., and forget how the exhaust system truly functions.

As for a remote turbo, the smaller pipe will be better as well. You will be looking to increase gas velocity to the Hot side ( turbine side ) of the turbo. the turbo is the choke point in the exhaust, as the passages on the hot side are small, in-order to speed up gas velocity. Past the turbo you want bigger pipe to reduce friction of the gasses toward the exit of the exhaust. It is possible too retard the spool up of the turbo by using the same size pipe after the turbo as before the turbo. this can make a more efficient engine, but if to small will limit the top end. Again, that is why I am going with a compound setup, no lag, and no limit to the turbo, fuel will be my limiting factor.

Have you messed with the AFM setting, if not I highly recommend it, Toyota likes to set them rich for emissions purposes. Pulling the vacuum line from the EGR also helps, Keep the heat in the combustion chamber and atomizes the fuel better. I get 30mpg in the supra and Im still working on tuning more. you should be able to get 25 to 27 mpg with your setup. However, if your runner needs to be smoged, keep track and mark the stock location on the AFM adjuster, the recommendation I suggest will not let you pass emissions, but is great for mpg's and performance.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 PM

that is helpful, thank you! i have messed with my afm some, but i haven't seen a noticeable difference. i only went a couple clicks though. as for the egr, i don't have one, running a block off plate.
i figured i was doing ok getting 20mpg with 35s but your inspiring me to start tinkering with it again.... i think i'll start with the exhause, i hate the way mine sounds anyway with the big pipe
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM

just had 2" mandrel bent ran from the header back. i had to argue with the guy for 15 minutes that 2" is the correct size for that engine. i finally got him to verify that in his computer haha. i still need to install a muffler but i can already notice a power difference

Last edited by liveoffroad; 03-14-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:48 AM

sweet brother, I looked at the new exhaust on you build thread, and it looks good, especially the removable crossover.

It is good to know that I could help you out with solving your power-band problem.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM

The build thread can finally continue. As many of you know I have been looking for a new rig due to the theft of my 86 longbed this past August. I have been saving and searching Craigeslist for several month, and finally yesterday brought an 89 extra cab home. The new to me Yota was not cheap at a cost of $6800, but the photos will explain why, and justify the expense.
22re
Name:  IMAG0222_zps4ccef88c.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  66.7 KB
Inchworm 4.7 single T-case
Name:  IMAG0219_zps21bf30ab.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  53.2 KB
Smitty built 8k lb winch, and Warn front and rear bumpers
Name:  IMAG0220_zps13191189.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  57.1 KB
ARB compressor, and front and rear ARB Locker
Name:  IMAG0221_zps6dc3a9ea.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  54.9 KB
Front and rear TG suspension
Name:  IMAG0217_zps28dfd7a1.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  54.1 KB
Bilstien 5150 shocks
Name:  IMAG0218_zps22d3e1c9.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  50.5 KB
Goodyear wrangler MTR's with nearly no miles on them.
Name:  IMAG0223_zps02969660.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  41.8 KB

So, for the bad news, the valve cover leaks oil pretty bad, the Battery is loose, the driver side door has been replaced, but needs cosmetic work, and on the drive home I discovered the dreaded death-wobble.

Let the new project begin!!!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Lol same decal as my truck same year and everything just silver instead of white nice find!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM

I like it!!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
new build thread..... start it.

and, i call dibs on bumper, xfer case, winch, and tires.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
new build thread..... start it.

and, i call dibs on bumper, xfer case, winch, and tires.
Well I guess you just spilled the beans on all the parts I am planing to sell. Don't be in to much of a hurry to buy it up, I still need to gather replacements and fix the death-wobble so I can drive it safely.

Originally Posted by VANCE164
Lol same decal as my truck same year and everything just silver instead of white nice find!
Hey Vance, its been a long time since we last talked. I was surprised to see you respond to my post so quickly.

Originally Posted by highonpottery
You should see it in person Brian, the new Yota is almost as nice looking as yours.

Last edited by dark_fairytales; 03-28-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 AM

So, here is the plan I have for this thing. I am going to sell the T-case, as I already have a dual T-case in the garage. I am going to build some square tube bumpers that will match the body lift I am going to install, which will also match a three in drive train lift. Im going to pull some leafs out of the spring packs to lower the entire rig, and mount some 33" tires on real bead locks. At the moment the pickup needs sliders.

I also have a name for this build; I'm calling it the SR7 Hi-pra, because of my plans to blend the supra and the pickup/ Hilux into the vehicle Toyota should have made.

Quick Reply: dark_fairytales 1986 Pickup Build-Up Thread