86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st

This build thread is in memory of my first yota that i totaled Brutus the 1st
Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st-byebrutus.jpg
a White 1991 Reg. Cab with Herculiner in the bed, rockers, and grille/frontbumper, a Rebuilt 22RE (only had 6,000mi), 31x10.50 SXT mts on 15x10s, K & N Cold Air Intake Custom Headache Rack, smitty bilt nerf bars, and racing seats.... One night me and the girl friend (at the time) were drivin to wendys and were comin up on a green light i look down to turn the radio up look up and the lights red, Broadsided a yukon crushing the passenger side of the front end lost steering controll, flipped around and tailwhipped the yukon snapping the rear passenger tire off the axel and crushing the bed like a soda can, then swerved into a fire hydrant. Luckily no one even in the yukon besides me was hurt I had to get 7 stitched right above my right eye from the steering wheel.
Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st-7stitches.jpg
Brutus started my passion for yotas with in a week i was trying to find a way to rebuild him but being in a rental and not having the space or all the tools i wouldve needed i had to strip what i could (Cold air, Racing Seats and headache rack) and sell him, but i couldnt settle for anything other than another yota so I raised up $2200 and Found my "Brutus" the II on CL for $2500 smogged and talked him down to $2200
Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st-brutustheii.jpg
93 3.0 5 speed Pickup 212,000mi on the Body 80,000mi on the Engine on 31x10.50 Nexen ht's with 15x10 Aluminum American racing rims, 2.5" Pro Comp Add-a-leaf, 1-2in lift KYB gas-a-just shocks, a white camper, kenwood deck, off brand 6x6s mounted on plywood to cover up 6x9 holes, bodys kinda beat up but its a yota, wouldnt want it any other way! Could finally hold my head up high

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Try using photo bucket and paste the img code in here.

Pretty curious on 3 in. BJ spacers?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:00 PM

First thing i did was yank off the camper, put brutus the 1st's camo steering wheel cover (blood was still on it) then the coil went out took a while to figure out that it was just that. At first i checked all the fuses, they were good, replaced a spark plug, no results, replaced the distributor cap, still no results...it sounded like it wasnt getting fuel so i put a gallon of gas in it, still nothing, sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and tried turning it over again but still nothing. So i narrowed it down between the Coil and the ECU and it was the Coil thank god! Napa wanted like $381 for an ECU and $129 for the Coil so luckily i was able to pull some strings and get a new Coil for $47. Next I swapped in Brutus's Racing seats, the crash snapped the seats adjustors so it was exactly like sitting in brutus...really weird. After all that i decided to test out Juniors Wheelin capabilities and took him how to the river bar and took his stuck virginity...
Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st-fernbridge.jpg
After that I decided that the grille was stupid looking and had brutus's old grille emblem and some expanded metal sitting in the garage so i grinded out he center of it and...
Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st-customgrille2.jpg
But before I put it back in I went to Kragen to buy some herculiner to coat it in to get the fully "Brutus" authenticity and they wouldnt sell it to me becuase Im only 17 which pissed me off (Starting the morning off bad) so i stop for a coffee on the way home, and on my way back from that i noticed the belt squeak..and thought to my self s˟˟˟ i know that sound because it was the same sound my moms malibu was making a week before which was the water pump...a lot eaiser to replace than a 3.0's water pump that Id shortly find out. So I get home pull in the drive way turn the truck off pop the hood set my coffee down on the ground couldnt see nothin so i wanted to see it idle with out it rolling back in to the street my drive way being on a hill and my emergency brake not working i (not thinkin still bein pissed abt the herculiner cause i had bought it before they just didnt ID me) decided to turn the key and press that cool "clutch start cancel" button........................DONT PRESS THAT BUTTON STILL IN GEAR BUT STANDING OUT SIDE THE TRUCK WITHOUT UR FOOT ON THE BRAKE. The truck jumped forward, just like when u kill it, but jumped like 3 times and PLOWED my garage door with my hood still open it BENT that in half AND RAN OVER MY COFFEE IN THE PROCESS OF IT ALL
Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st-garageclutchstart.jpg
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Pic of the Hood after my neighbor helped me bend it back....kinda had to bungee cord it.

So i bought the Timing belt, water pump, and pulley kit, then had to go buy a thermostat and some RTV, then used my Toyota Bible (google) for instructions. I started with disconnecting the battery, then bolted off my serpintine belt pulleys, the serpentine belts, then i took off the fan and its shroud, then drained the radiator disconnected its hoses, then bolted off the radiator its self, after that i got stuck on the crank bolt

(Just learned how to make my pics big still a forum newbie)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 PM

So i ended up having to rent a puller from Kragen got it out, bolted off the timing belt covers and tensioner pulleys rod (probably forgetting something), undid the timing belt, bolted off the passenger cam but COULD NOT get the Driver side cam off tried all sorts of impact guns and breaker bars, but i decided to not risk bending a valve or stripping the bolt so I put it all back together without replacing the idler pulley, replaced the water pump timed it all then bolted everything back together and she started right up.

Couple days later I was driving to work with the hood bungied down and the wind caught the hood just right flung it open SNAPPED my wiper arm, then SHATTERED MY WINDSHIELD

The next day I went to the junk yard and scored a Black hood and a new off a 4runner by trading the camper and the cold air i saved from Brutus
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 PM

So i ended up goin back and trading a little 4200lb atv winch I had for a Windshield and took it up to my uncles house who's a body mechanic and taught me how to pull out windshields the PROPER way with a wire and when we put it in it CRACKED all the way down the middle because the windshield the junk yard pulled out for me was chipped on the top where the wire knicked it!!

Cant hardly tell but its just innoying when im driving (Good Shot of the Racing seats tho)
about a Week later I ended up finding someone who wanted to trade my 31x10.50 Highway treads for their 33x12.50 Cooper Discoverer Mud grips!!

The new 33's rubbed pretty bad so I saved a little bit of money and bought 3" Ball Joint spacers which the Front "Leveling" Kit for 89-95 ifs pickups, and a New Headache Rack with bed rails!!

The BJ Spacer were actually extremely easy to put in I just put them in wrong and didnt read the directions . You start out taking off the front tires then the stock ball joint nuts and bolts, after that your supposed to unbolt the shocks but i cranked the torsion bars down then wedged a big pipe right above the lower controll arms then pressed down like a lever and tried to shove the blocks in. after like 5 atempts to get the blocks in there i started realizing that i was stupid and had to undo the shocks so i did that and they slid right in but sat at an angle what your supposed to do before you put the blocks in is grind off the lip under/inside the upper controll arm so it sits flush which I found out after i put it all back together then had les schwab align it because the bj spacers made the tires camber like no other and made it to were i need longer shocks.

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-01-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Me being a constant CL whore I ended up finding a set of 58" trail gear sliders, so i called the guy and told him that im short on cash untill my next pay check so we ended up workin out a deal where i work 2 8 hour days and he'll weld them on.

A couple months before the Totalization/death of Brutus the 1st me and another buddy started the making of a winch bumper but only ended up making the frame that I kept but took off brutus so itd be a suprise to everyone at school

The guy that I worked my sliders off for has a tube bender, a welder, a plasma cutter which opens up HUUGE oportunities for brutus the II like an SAS, bed bob, and a Rear bumper
CL yet again....Bought Some Aluminum super deep dish 15x12 American Racing wheels for $120, then sold my old 15x10's for $120!!

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-01-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks sweet! How are those tires with the stock gearing?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
How are those tires with the stock gearing?
Ditto. To be serious though, the truck is looking great!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM

Couple more questions. Where did you get that sweet mesh grill? Also, where did you get 3" ball joint spacers? I've seen them marketed for 1.5", 2", and 2.5" but they are mostly all 1.5" spacers. They only market the 2" or 2.5" as the total lift "with torsion bar adjustment".
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM

My gears suck when it comes to everyday drivin but im goin to test them out wheelin this weekend hopefully, and I made my grille on my own got the Idea from a gent on cardomain, just take a grinder cut out the center of ur grille then cut out a piece of expanded metal to fit the hole u just made then zip tie it in...oakey but cant tell enless u pop the hood I love it plus it gives better airflow to the radiator! Then I got my 3In BJ spacers on ebay type in toyota front 3in leveling kit then look for your year, probably the best decision towards the truck, cheaper than a body lift...and better imo, deffinatley the way to go for ifs...which i dont plan on keeping onto if i can get an 84 frame with the front axel in good condition before I shipp out to boot camp in september.

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-02-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM

Im on a mission to SAS my truck!! im sick of my flex-less ifs and not so high of a 3in lift (that rubbs because of my 33's on 12in wide rims!) and a buddy of mine has a 1984 frame just sittin at his house with the Front axel, rear diff, and the springs he hasnt given me his decided price yet but I plan on buying it and mating with my 93 extra cab...........Ive been researching quite a bit and talking to the local Yota Guru's and they all said it is possible but the frame of the 84-85 pickups are shorter wheel bases than my 93's frame...so if i play my cards right, Id be forced to roll w/o a bed (ghetto/tacky), bob my bed(liking the idea except the fact that ill either have to ditch my headache rack or bob it too), flat bed it (no go cause of insurance), or tube bed/and eventual exo cage (waaaaaay out of my 17yo budget but a dream of mine..even tho i work one 7 1/2hr day a week at $8.50 an hour before tax to cover gas/insurace/maintence, The only way I get my truck project money is from side jobs then craigslist and ebay wheelin & dealin, on top of running track and prepin for boot camp in sept...possibly/hopefully july it kinda stunts my desires a bit) So im ineed of input not plannin on takin on this project till after prom which is next month but i need advice, warnings, more possibilities ect. ect. as of now what Im thinkin is swapping my current rear leafs to the front w/o the add-a-leafs, throwing 3in blocks in the rear (just for now untill i save the pennies for shackles) then throw in my cherry ifs steering box i just picked up for $65 w/the arm!! then no high steer for now cause of the budget. what else do I need after this besides blood sweat and tears? Im debating on throwing a Skys 1in body lift during the frame swapping process?........Help me out guys im losin my mind!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM

A frame swap?
Save yourself the head ache and just throw the front axle on your truck.
I dont think the body mounts line up.

You have to swap the motor trans and rear end anyway. Yeah runnin rears up from and a block in the rear would be fine for the time being. But you could pick up some chevy 63s. Easy to barter off craigs.
And im personally a fan of body lifts. nothing over 2 inch though
Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM

In the proccess:

Replace Power Steering Pump
Replace Steering Box
Clean/Pressure wash Under carraige
Fab Tail Gate Rail
Bed Coat Sliders and Tail Gate Rail
Offroad Lights
Premium Warn Locking Hubs
Make 6x6 Panels
Mount 6x6's
Fix my Champion 8000 winch

Brutus the II's Future:

Under Coat under carraige
84 Frame Swap/SAS+ '93 rear springs swapped in the front + 3" Rear Blocks + IFS Box + Skys 1" body Lift
Bob the Bed
Rough Country Shocks
All Pro Shock Hoops
Skys "Toyota" Axel Truss
Fab Hood Scoop
Herculine ENTIRE truck Exterior/Interior
Go nutty with lime green engine enamel
Reupholster Doors Camo
Reupholster Back Seats Camo
Finish Fabbin Brutus's Winch Bumper
Rear Plate Bumper w/reverse lights
Series 10 Flowmaster muffler
5 Point Harness's
CB/PA
3.4 Swap

..........................Depending on the 84' frame price might sell the Headache Rack, Racing Seats, Warn Hubs, and Sliders :/ then the rest of my IFS Crap if things go well with the SAS

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Looks like you got a plan , keep up the good work. That's a gnarly gash on your face !
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Nice truck, I did or doing a frame swap from a ifs 87 to a SAS 85, it's was ez, and sold the 87 frame. What ever you do is ok, and alway have fun......Bill
Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp
A frame swap?
Save yourself the head ache and just throw the front axle on your truck.
I dont think the body mounts line up.

You have to swap the motor trans and rear end anyway. Yeah runnin rears up from and a block in the rear would be fine for the time being. But you could pick up some chevy 63s. Easy to barter off craigs.
And im personally a fan of body lifts. nothing over 2 inch though
Youve got a good point, Ive got a plan to Reinforce the frame and the body mounts. Then later on i want to do the chevy 63 conversion, custom build High Steer, 35" Boggers, regear to 5.29's, but thats when I boost my budget out of the gutter like it is now haha
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM

So this week I painted my sliders they turned out pretty decent I used rustoleom bedliner, Ill post pics soon. AND theres been a change in plans turns out the frame i wanted to do the frame swap with was has a fatty crack on it, BUT its not stopping me from doing my SAS and I ended up just workin out a trade with headache rack for the whole frame with the springs, front axel, rear diff, and all other stuff (pretty much the entire suspension of a retired '84) BUT in order to haul it home because I dont have a trailer and neither did he we had to cut the (usless cracked) frame in half with my buddies dads torch so i could load it but here's what I got:

thats just the front end Im picking the back half of it up this upcoming weekend, Im excited because its getting closer and Im still getting a good deal but it just sucks because instead of my frame swap plan with using the stock spring and shock mounts and just buyin shocks and extended brake lines im going to have to buy shocks, extended brake lines, a hanger kit, shock hoops, and crossover steering which isnt bad because its upgrading but its just spending more money than I wanted to but itll be worth it...i hope. I began with scraping off a lot of the gunk and powersteering puke that coated everything then took it to the car wash and did a quick pressure wash, now Its just a matter of unbolting all my parts I have now and cleaning them up better, and saving up for the other things before I can move on to anything else, but luckily I have a lead on a cross over steering kit for labor.
But I do have a question, what would be the best deal on extended brake lines and a front hanger kit? (pricewise)

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice build so far, I like how you do alot of trading to get your parts, That's what I been trying to do to save $$$. CL is my best friend, lol. For a front hanger Wab Fab, Low Range Offroad, and Addicted Offroad are all Trail Gear Dealers and all have lower prices than buying directly from Trail gear. But lately the best prices I've found is through Addicted Offroad. When your pinching pennies like me every dollar counts, lol. They have the front spring hanger for like $61...if you want the bolts and bushiings it's like another $14. Here is a link:

http://www.addictedoffroad.com/index...roducts_id=444

I'd check those three for the extended brake lines also. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing your SAS!

**EDIT** You are also going to need frame tube jigs and frame tubes (about $22 for ea.) to mount the rear of your fronts leaf spring shackels to the frame...I didn't see it on your list, lol.......Ed

Last edited by rustED; 04-11-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:57 PM

This week between school and track I cut apart the frame salvaged the axel/3rd member, shackles, steering stablizer, springs, old power steering box, and sway bar, then I scored some used Jigs from my buddy...saves $22 also got a 23mm Pitman Arm Adapter from him....saved $32 more!! Then I bargained a used 3in Performance Accessories body lift with everything for $35 on craigslist!! (That I can hopefully trade for Hoops, a Hanger, or Extended Brake lines) All I have left with the front end salvage-wise before scrap the rest and prep for paint is trying to cut out the jig tubes out of the frame then ill keep the extra hubs for spares while wheelin or barter those out. Tomorow im picking up the rear end to remove those springs and the gears so theyll match up with the front, then swap out my 93's rear springs for the front (and remove the AAL to Barter with my stock height Shocks) then I need to buy bushings and shocks then Ill ditch class till its all swapped haha!!! then Im working off a high steer kit from the guy whos helpin me do all of the SAS then a Nicer set of 33x12.50 Bridgestone Duelers off my neighbor and barter off my cooper 33's!

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice build so far, I like how you do alot of trading to get your parts, That's what I been trying to do to save $$$. CL is my best friend, lol. For a front hanger Wab Fab, Low Range Offroad, and Addicted Offroad are all Trail Gear Dealers and all have lower prices than buying directly from Trail gear. But lately the best prices I've found is through Addicted Offroad. When your pinching pennies like me every dollar counts, lol. They have the front spring hanger for like $61...if you want the bolts and bushiings it's like another $14. Here is a link:
I'd check those three for the extended brake lines also. Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing your SAS!
**EDIT** You are also going to need frame tube jigs and frame tubes (about $22 for ea.) to mount the rear of your fronts leaf spring shackels to the frame...I didn't see it on your list, lol.......Ed
Thanks for lookin out for me man I really appriciate it!!

Last edited by Dthompson20; 04-20-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Brutus the II's Build Thread In memory of Brutus the 1st