Old 09-22-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dunno.. signed part says marlin.. theres a marlin badge on it
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 PM

mayeb its been rebuilt since the marlin rebuild?? lol
Old 09-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh if it has the badge than its theirs. have you talked to MC to see if they are gonna do anything for you
Old 09-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice work! Can't wait to see you back OFF the road, If YKWIMean? hehehe.

What clutch kit is that? And.... curious on the Flywheel... Seems to wear MUCH differently/maybe be cut differently? Hmmmm.... Step seems closer to center than mine(900# Diakin Japan kit against the original flywheel.... As I said, 'Hmmmm", hahaha... I'll have to go back to my pics is all. )

I wondered the same thing as Toyo... Didn't they say "no dice"?
Old 09-23-2012, 03:49 PM

centerforce clutch boss, the flywheel still has some cross hatch in it, the wear is all within spec and not warped.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM

Hi Blake,

I am Mike the previous owner of your 4Runner. I just happened to be on this website and stumbled across your post. I am really glad to see that you have taken such good care of the truck. Like me you have put a lot of time and money into this and it shows. I am sorry to hear about the transmission. Right after I replaced the motor the transmission went out and I was told that Marlin Crawler builds the best Toyota transmissions. I went with their W56B-HD unit and at the time it cost me around $ 1,000 bucks. Marlin is a pretty stand up guy and stands behind his products. Give him a call and see if he will work with you. If you ever need any information on things I have done please let me know. Take care of that truck!!!!!

Regards,

Mike
Old 09-29-2012, 02:28 PM

WOW, deja vu-ville, homie! .....

What a trip... small work, Blake, eh?

Welcome to Yotatech, Mike!

PS> I hear ya on the clutch, Blake.... Was just curious... Seems to cover less surface area, but have spaces which provides venting/less heat I suppose. Great news that it's solid/still good to go. They aint cheap to replace... ANDDDDDD, now you don't have to pull the flywheel, WOOT! lol.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by mikea71
Hi Blake,

I am Mike the previous owner of your 4Runner. I just happened to be on this website and stumbled across your post. I am really glad to see that you have taken such good care of the truck. Like me you have put a lot of time and money into this and it shows. I am sorry to hear about the transmission. Right after I replaced the motor the transmission went out and I was told that Marlin Crawler builds the best Toyota transmissions. I went with their W56B-HD unit and at the time it cost me around $ 1,000 bucks. Marlin is a pretty stand up guy and stands behind his products. Give him a call and see if he will work with you. If you ever need any information on things I have done please let me know. Take care of that truck!!!!!

Regards,

Mike
thanks Mike! unfortunately I just finished rebuilding it over at a Toyota dealership down here where my dad works.. kinda weird.. but when i put in the VIN to write up a repair order for it.. it had already been serviced a few times down here! I'm just figuring a bearing went out.. The amount you paid is about the quote marlin gave me..
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 AM

oh also, after 2 weeks of being down, i drove it last night. quietest ride I've had for as long as I can remember, back to being in love with my truck :p
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome man glad you got the tranny in. All u need now is some good wheeling trips. Some friends of mine are gonna hit up Big Bear in the next few weeks. I was thinking maybe you, Chef, and a couple ofther SoCal guys would like to come along for the trip.
You interested?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Congratulations, man~!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Awesome man glad you got the tranny in. All u need now is some good wheeling trips. Some friends of mine are gonna hit up Big Bear in the next few weeks. I was thinking maybe you, Chef, and a couple ofther SoCal guys would like to come along for the trip.
You interested?
let me know when/what trails dude! I'm going back into wheeling timid :/ lol.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 AM

Blake,

When I bought the 4Runner it was in San Diego. The guy I bought it from lived near San Diego State college.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mikea71
Blake,

When I bought the 4Runner it was in San Diego. The guy I bought it from lived near San Diego State college.
That's awesome that it made the round trip. If I remember correctly you had to sell this truck for another project. A jeep maybe? Or an fj.. how's that going?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:42 AM

Yea I was getting bored with the 4Runner and wanted another project. I really wanted an old FJ40 but I could not find one in my price range so I got a 1982 Jeep CJ7. The Jeep does really well off road with the short wheel base. Currently I have the body off the frame so I could fix stuff. While I like my Jeep I do miss the 4Runner. I put so much work into that thing. I am just glad that you have taken such good care of it and have put even more work into it. It is strange that you are doing the exact things I wanted to do with it. The front bumper from Trail Gear is the exact one I was going to purchase for it. The paint job looks fantastic! The last thing I wanted to do that I think you are interested in is a straight axle conversion. Make sure to keep posting pics as you fix it up. If you ever have any questions about work I have done please let me know.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:00 AM

Will do! Thanks for the kind words. I was looking at an SAS but I think I'd like to try blazeland for a while first. Blazeland is bolt on, and I'm not real big on commitment. :p I do love seeing a truck articulate like crazy and keep the body level.. well see! I want to get budbuilt armor all underneath too. I thought about selling this truck once, but ive gotten way too attached. I still have the Craigslist ad printed out in my "auto" file. :p
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 PM

trans is still running smooth! Last night i resurfaced my rotors, replaced pads and shim, and repacked bearings. feels amazing...

This weekend I'm doing an Adopt a Trail Clean up in Big Bear.. should be fun.. camping and wheeling throughout.. pretty stoked.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM

So, I took my truck out last weekend to Big Bear.. and realized.. I really could use some sort of an OBA system..

Then I found out my friend is getting rid of a Viair compressor that he used on an air ride car..

I grabbed it and decided to use it as the starting point to my system.
It's a 380C model.. 100% duty cycle at 1.48 CFM.

My first plan was to turn my sliders into air tanks... but with compressors come moisture.. and I don't want my armor rusting from the inside out.

My current plan is to find.. some sort of air tank.. possibly just the viair one. 2.5 or 5 gallon, I haven't decided. I want the compressor mounted on the passenger side cubby in the back, across from the jack. The air tank, I'd like to have quick disco's So If I need space I can put it in my passenger seat, or even leave it at home. Since it is a daily driver.

That's about as far as I've gotten in planning anyway..
Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 AM

for the picture hungry

Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 AM

NICE FIND! Should last you a while...

Blake,.. I have a few extra tanks.... Not that you'd drive out here.. BUT, my point in mentioning it is easily made, I promise! hahaha... >>>

Being a Chef, I use Propane from time to time... Well, people have given me like 10 propane tanks... They work GREAT for Air Tanks! The best, I suppose, are Spent Freon Tanks..... And if you know ANY RV Supply Employees, or a place that does Freon.... They would GLADLY drain a tank and then give it to you(Instead of record that can, ...shhhhhhhh! lol). Jk, you can find one, trust me. My Freon tank is 2.5..... BUT, I also have 3 Propane tanks as well... They're HD and a dime a dozen, ya know? ORRRRRRRR, you could serve the purpose AND save money by grabbing a more 'STREAMLINE' one from HFreight... You know, a tall narrow one or something to tie to the roll bar? Anyway, just thought I'd share. Air Tanks are important if you don't wanna rot out or use up, faster, ... your NEW Viair! lol.

Quick Reply: blakefogt's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread