86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

B4Runner's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, the hole in my hand is kind of ironic. I spend about 45 minutes figuring out the wire for the deck light swtich and to make sure I knew exactly how it worked. Then, I snipped the connector on the harness, spliced it to my KC wires, plugged in the switch, and now it controls my KC's. I will finish the deck light wiring later. The irony is that I have this huge hole in my hand and urgent care bill for the switch I used for only 4 days. I also put the rear wiper switch in its new home. Nothing is hooked up to it, but it's at least there for look until its hooked up.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 PM

I got my rear wiper switch wired in its new home today. It's easy to measure and cut the wires, run the wire where you want it, and connect all the ends to the main harness. But the pain comes when you have to tug on the wires to figure out which wire is which. But I also made a huge mess for myself that really frustrated me and I wish I hadn't done. All those wires down there is just a huge mess, so i figured I'd make my own little addition to the harness by wrapping them up (in metal pipe insulation tape.) Little did I realize that they would be too bulky to allow the console around the shifters to sit flush on the floor. So, I had to tare away enough tape around the edge of where the consol would sit so that I could flatten out the wires and allow the console to sit flush on the floor. I also realized that all the wires I have cut down there in order to move a switch all are in the same little harness, (and I think there are three little ones down there.) In the harness I'm speaking of, there are the wires for the rear window lock switch (which is forever gone), the rear window switch (which I am only using for the illumination wires), and the rear wiper wires. So, whenever I feel like doing some seat and carpet removal, I will just yank out that harness and shorten up my wires, that way I don't need the unecessary mess.

(And just for kicks: my Yota key. ^^)
Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 PM

Finally got the sterie strips off today. The outsides were coming loose and I was snipping them as I went, but they wouldn't come off the wound. So today, I couldn't help but work them off. I'm dead tired of them and I wanted to see the damage. It's not fully healed, of course, but here is the gnarly progress it's made. I just thought I would share, since it came from working on the Toy anyways.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:10 AM

looking good b4 keep it up!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:48 PM

By-passing the EGR. Very plain and simple. Did notice more power going up hills. I just did this today, so I haven't done enough miles to notice a change in MPG. Thanks to Dark_Fairytales for enlightening me on the idea.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:55 PM

I've gotten some more stuff done to my truck. Nothing good. Some good, some...bad.

The running boards came off.

Every trailer we own, even the light ones, have a 6-prong connection to match up to our Chevy. So I decided to take an extra connector we have and install it on my truck. I'll get a new flat-4 and tie it in too for any other light trailer I might come along.

I had an electrical problem. I hope I solved it, because it was kind of coming and going on its own. But you can read about that here.

I found an amazing Cobra 25 LTD WX Classic on eBay starting at $9.95. The shipping to me was going to be $12.34. I didn't want to pay more than $50 for it, so I placed my max bet at $37.66. I won with the second highest bid right below me at $37. It wouldn't fit below my HU because of the shifter, so it had to go on top. But with the HU mounted below, the CB couldn't fit inside the bezel. So I had to trip it down and also cut a hole for the mic. You will see what I mean. Here are some pix.

While I was waiting for my CB to arrive, I found a magnet mount antenna on CL for $10. When I set it against my car later in the evening, not the 4R, it seemed kind of weak. While I was routing the coax, I decided I should test how strong the magnet is before I continued. I mounted the antenna and shut the coax in the door. I could only get up to 40mph safely in my area, so I came home. When I hit 40 again, my hood flies open. It totaled the hood, deck, and passenger wiper. I was able to bend the hood back to an operational shape and had to space it from the hinges. Here are pix of the antenna and damage.

And just some flex pix.

Last edited by B4Runner; 04-28-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:49 PM

b4 you have the worst luck i swear!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Haha, not kidding.

Hey guys, epoxy is pretty strong stuff. Do you think it could hold my wiper arm back on?
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just run without the passenger one until you can get a new one. I bet someone will have one that you can score for cheap.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM

Guys, I have unofficially ditched my plans for LT. SAS got the best of me!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:02 PM

As in, we will get to see the SAS soon?
Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 AM

Lol, I wish MC. It will come just as soon as the LT would have taken to come unfortunately. It's just that I've decided I want to SAS instead of LT. When I compare the two, I just feel like I'm losing/wasting a lot of money on the LT for what it will provide compared to how much more I can get out of a SFA.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by B4Runner
Guys, I have UNOFFICIALLY ditched my plans for LT. SAS got the best of me!
Maltserunner talked some sense back into me. (Thanks man!) SAS'ing was far against my better judgment anyways. Plus, I lack the skills and equipment to hack into my truck like that. I'd not have the courage to do it either, since LT is what I truly want.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 PM

Yeah, he's quite the salesman . He got me looking at that Blazeland LT kit too. I'd love to see some video of it in action. It is nice, too, that he is doing stuff to his rig so that you and I can see it in person before taking the plunge!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, hey, hey. I'm not getting any commission or anything....

You guys have to build your rigs to your preference. I've thought long and hard about the direction I'm going with my 4Runner.......um, East.

Or was it West?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:36 PM

The problem is that you thought long, hard and WELL. There will certainly be differences, but it makes sense that the rigs end up with a lot of similarities, considering that we live in the same place and generally use the trucks in the same capacities, and that none of us are independently wealthy (at least, unless B4Runner has something he isn't telling us).
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM

Lol MC, no secrets here.

And I've thought long and hard about it. The only reason I wanted or would even want a SFA is for the extremes. But I have many more reasons to want to stay IFS. I know I wouldn't be happy with a SFA.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

If all goes well, and according to plan, we'll all end up with nice rigs. Now, let's get to work so we can go hit some trails!

Also, so far June 25-27 seems to be the weekend for camping, but I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i need to go hit some trails, im quite north of you but let me know when.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
i need to go hit some trails, im quite north of you but let me know when.
Looks like we're setting up a weekend of camping and wheeling June 25-27. If you can swing it, let one of us know, and we'll get you directions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B4Runner's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread