86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

andlours The black "beast" '86 4Runner build

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andlours The black "beast" '86 4Runner build

Well, I figure it might be fun to start a build up thread. Last April I bought my 1986 SR5 4Runner with 156k miles on a mostly stock 22RE. It's my first vehicle, and so far, I've absolutely been loving it. I've done a little work to it over these past months, and some cleaning to everything but I haven't done much. As it sits, it has Warn manual locking hubs, add-a-leaf in the rear to compensate for rear end sag, 32" BFG All Terrains, HID headlights (put in by the owner before me, and they suck), 1982 Supra AFM and a high flow filter, and almost all working power features.

This is my daily driver so I want to keep it nice but still be able to go offroad for camping and hunting. This build-up may be a little slow because I'm pretty busy, but I figured somebody would like to see what I'm doing to my 4Runner.

Here are some pictures I took today while having a little fun in the snow. This is how it sits right now.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:19 PM

clean motor, what are your plans for the build?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:11 PM

That's NAAC right? I've done some wheelin there too, lol.

Any reason you're using Warn hubs over stock ones?

Looking forward to seeing another local build!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:53 PM

Gotta love those blacked out stocker rims, nice.

Last edited by Yopar; 12-06-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: had to add the "rocker" haha
Old 12-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. And that is the NAAC! Are you in Denver too ChipsnGuac? I'd love some great info on some good, relatively easy offroading trails. I've been up to left hand canyon quite a few times already, but I'm looking for something different. I'm really new to the whole offloading scene though. As for the manual locking hubs, the guy before me put them in cuz the auto ones broke. I honestly really enjoy them, just because I don't have to back up to get out of 4wd. I really don't know what other real advantages they offer though.

As for my overall ideas for the build, I would like to rebuild my engine and get everything cleaned up really well. I want to make it the perfect mix between a weekend offroader and a daily driver, so I'm not planning on doing too many intense offroad mods. I also want it to serve as a good camping/hunting vehicle.

And Yopar, I actually love my blacked out stock rims ha. They look so much better now than when they were terribly corroded.

I'll try and keep this updated for you guys, I hope you enjoy! Also, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm new at this, and this my first vehicle and first experience ever working on cars in general.

Last edited by andlours; 12-06-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM

I went to Golden HS and I'm splitting time at my parent's in Evergreen and my fiancée's in Golden. I drive by NAAC on my way to work in Broomfield.

Wheeling, by myself, in Left Hand Canyon is actually what lead to the current state of my truck... in many, many pieces. I don't have much trail experience because of this, lol. I suggest getting Colorado 4x4 book, the one I have has ~100 trails ranging from very easy (don't need 4x4) to hard (need larger tires, lift and a locker). Link is below, there's a Northern version as well. I think Barnes & Nobles has it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...HWGFHB526S46NG

Rebuilding your engine would be a great place to start, I'm currently rebuilding my 22re. It's actually not "that" hard or $$$, just take a lot of pics and do a lot of research.

I highly recommend a rear locker as your next mod and the appropriate recovery gear (high lift). Other then that, have fun!

Last edited by ChipsnGuac; 12-07-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks ChipsNGuac. By the way, how'd you manage to wreck your truck in left hand canyon? I've been up there quite a few times and never ran I to anything super intense. Which trails were you taking?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:10 AM

It might have been Left Hand Canyon, don't know for sure, it happened 5 years ago. I'll I know for sure is it was west of Boulder.

I had a 4" lift and 33's that were on my truck when I bought it. Decided to run an "expert" trail, turned around before it got to the point I was going to have to walk. Thought I got away clean with only one dent on the bed. Got back on the paved road and realized I had to turn the wheel 90deg to drive straight and the passenger tire was skidding down the road. Had to drive that way all the why back to shop I bought it from in Conifer, that sucked.

I broke the welds off the cross member drop down brackets, bad welds and should have been bolted. Also, bent the LCA's so that my caster was -2deg when it should be ~+2deg. Drove it like that for the rest of college, 2k miles each way... so sketchy.

So... don't do any of the above. lol

Last edited by ChipsnGuac; 12-08-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Alright guys, yesterday my water pump and alternator decided to die on me. I bought replacement ones today, so wish me luck with the install tomorrow! i'll try to take some pictures and update everything regarding the install
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM

Well, it's been a frustrating couple of days, but my 4Runner finally has a new water pump and alternator installed. Somehow in the process of replacing my alternator, my 80 amp fusible link blew and my efi fuse blew. The fusible link was a PITA to replace, but I got it done. The 4Runner runs really nicely now and doesn't have the annoying squeaking sound that it used to. Here are a few pictures I took when my engine bay was all dismantled and a few comparison pictures.

One last thing, after the install my stereo doesn't work and my brights don't work. I dont know what it could be, because I checked all of my fuses and they seemed good. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:13 PM

Well, I got around to doing a little more work on the 4Runner over the past week. First things first, I got my new Addicted Offroad bumper installed.

I think it looks a good deal better than the old bent up stock bumper without a valance.

I also was able to pick up a full sized 32" x 11.5" spare BFG All-Terrain tire on a stock alloy rim for $80. The tire is brand new.

...after a fresh coat of black paint to match my other rims

It sits a little lower than my old spare, but I'm hoping to have it roof mounted here pretty soon.

And here's one last poser shot, just for fun.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:05 PM

Alright, so it's been way too long since I've updated my build-up thread. I haven't done anything too big to the 4Runner, just a few little things.

These are a few pictures of the WabFab rear bumper I put on. I really like it, and it wasn't a bad deal for $150 off CL.

I decided to paint my chrome front grill black

I also decided that I'd show you guys a few pictures of the runner's interior.

I ended up being able to get 2 12" subs and a 2000W amp off of CL for $140, all wiring included.

I always like to keep my toolbox, a few blankets, and some waters in the back, just in case...oh yeah, and my trusty baseball bat.

Lastly, my mom helped me out by sewing me a new shift boot cover and armrest out of some heavy duty vinyl.

Other than the things I've pictured, I haven't done all that much to the 4Runner. I've done routine things like replacing belts and my clutch slave cylinder, but nothing too "cool." This summer though, I'm getting a job on the oil field, so I'll have some money to throw into the runner. Here are the things I would like to do hopefully by this summer.
-1.5" BJ spacers
-Level/Raise the rear (maybe Chevy 63" springs?- any input on how should lift the rear would be great btw)
-2" 4Crawler body lift
-2" Drive Train lift
-Repair all dents and repair rust (maybe get some fender flares)
-Garage paint job
-Roof rack w/ 4 offroad lights
-Winch
-2 lights for front bumper
-New exhaust w/ headers
-CB radio and under hood intercom
- New Rancho 5000 shocks front and rear
- Rear Aussie locker

I'm probably missing something obvious that I should do. Let me know what you think of my build plans and if I should add anything to the list. Also, if there is anyone in the Denver area that could do some welding for me, that would be much appreciated, and I'd be more than happy to compensate you for your time and resources. As always, any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by andlours; 04-22-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:48 PM

Truck looks great, I like the rear bumper, oh welcome back.....Bill
Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Thanks Bill! I'm glad someone enjoys the runner. If you don't mind, what's your opinion on my build plans?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM

So a few days ago, my air intake tubing got a hole worn in it from the power steering pulley rubbing against. I figured it was time to do a relocation. Initially I wanted to do the battery/intake swap. After positioning everything I found that I could fit my intake above the battery without relocating it. I figured this would be a good idea because i could eventually do a passenger side snorkel (only if needed, not like those mall posers) and a dual battery setup. It just frees up a lot of space in the engine bay for anything else. Here's the finished product:

Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM

I got a chance to do a little wheelin' this past weekend. It wasn't anything too intense, but it was still a great time. I went out with some of my buddies. My friend Carp also drives an '86 4Runner. Here are a few pictures:

The view

Last edited by andlours; 05-06-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Nice rig
Old 05-07-2012, 03:33 AM

I have the same bumpers you do, Addicted (thanks Scotty!) and a TG rear. I'm not sure how hard you wheel, but I also have the new style marlin sliders and would highly recommend them. Plus if you get tboned, you come out with a win. Rig looks great! keep up the good work
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Black check
scotty front bumper check
black grill check..
black rims check

Looks great....but then its looks alot like mine..

Keep wheelin!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Boon, how much did your sliders run you? Also, I'm looking into buying a cb this weekend. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions.

Quick Reply: andlours The black "beast" '86 4Runner build