86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

93 DLX (Extra-Cab) with 22re

Old 06-16-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 DLX (Extra-Cab) with 22re

So I have been coming to this site for a little over a year now to drool and dream and set future goals for my pickup but have just finally began posting. I created the account a while ago so my "stock93" is a little un-stocked.

I bought it with a clean interior and no dents with sun fading paint and around 180,000 miles (I think) from a rip off dealer for $5500. We thought it was running good and thought it was worth the money. Well it blew a head gasket 2 weeks later. At this point I barely new how to jump start a car. So my dad helped me (did all the work) replace the head gasket. All was well.

At 204,000 I noticed my oil level dropping so with a little inspection (and a little more knowledge with cars) I determined my front main oil seal was leaking. So I pulled all the shannanagins out to get to it and decided to do a timing chain with steel guides while I was there. From then on all hell hit me in the face. Found bad valves, a head under spec thickness, and piston pieces in my oil pan.

My oil leak turned into a rebuild with no hoist. So I managed to do the rebuild in the vehicle and used a thicker head gasket recommended from a nearby parts store. The rebuild went fairly decent with only 3 left over bolts. Found a good size coolant leak from the water pipe under the exhaust manifold that needed only 3 bolts to fix.

Then 5,000 later and much more knowledge of my pickup I decided to slightly advance my timing. Power timing is what my grandpa called it. I don't know if that caused my next head gasket issue or not but any way I was one unhappy and not very confident camper. I was devastated. This is my dd and I had to borrow cars for a few weeks.

So I figured what the hay and got a street rv head from engnbldr with a 268/torker cam and slapped it on there. That is where I am today. At the very beginning I added a k&n filter (just the brackets and filter) and a magnaflow muffler and catalytic converter after my rebuild failure.

I will post a picture of my pickup soon. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
edit: my reading skills suck

Last edited by fork; 06-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found it!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM

My navigation skills on this site are terrible. I couldn't find this thread and figured I got erased for not following the guidelines perfectly. So now I have 2 threads going. How can I delete the other one? And pictures will maybe come tonight after work. It will probably be an old pic though.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Contact one of the moderators and they would be glad to do it.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Subscribed.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:05 PM

I haven't had any time to work on the truck. But this weekend I get to pull a broken bolt out of the lower intake from the water pipe down there. Then maybe while I'm at it a battery/intake swap? Can only Hope.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM

May as well post my hopes and dreams for my pickup while I'm here:

4ish inch lift (IFS)
33x12.50x15 Toyo M/T tires
New wheels to get rid of spacers(nothing fancy)
Limited slip front diff and locked rear (haven't decided what kind of lock)
Proper gearing for 33's?
A decent front bumper/bull bar with winch?
Header with custom exhaust
Probably a few more dents
And a smelly tree for the rear view mirror

I work at Les Schwab Tires so the lift/wheels/tires shouldn't be a big deal. The gearing and lockers is what I'm afraid to try at home. Never been inside a differential before.

Last edited by stock93; 06-21-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 06-23-2012, 10:34 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Second thread deleted. Build on.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 AM

So I spent my day off working on getting that broken bolt out of the bottom of my intake. When I went to loosen the other bolt, it snapped as well. So I had 2 broken bolts and some choice words to deal with. Also somewhere along the line I snapped a sensor plug thing on the bottom intake piece just under my throttle body. It's the one furthest from the block. My grandpa was able to temporarily jimmy rig it back together but it's a VERY temporary fix. So the bolt removal went fairly smooth. Drilled, easy-out, tapped the holes, and then was ready to roll.

Putting it all back together I realized my injector seasl were fairly worn. But no parts stores were open so I had to shove them back in. I put it all together and took a while for fuel pressure to build up but it ran and I didn't see any leaks (in the dark) so I shut it down.

On my short drive to work this morning I could smell gas. So I made it fine but when I shut her off I had gas spewing out my 4th injector. So I get to put new seals in today!!! Couldn't find them anywhere but the dealer so its all around $35.

I would have posted pictures but my phone takes horrible pics and I don't have a camera. I will update after the seals are installed and wee what needs fixing then.

And can anyone tell my why the wiring goes through the lower intake manifold? And is it even possible to pull the lower maniflold without cutting or pulling all those wires?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM

Thumbs up

So yesterday when I got those injectors out I found bad news. 2 of the injectors were cracked on the plastic tip at the bottom. The little cap is like a sleeve that can't be replaced alone. Fortunately I found a place that can get rebuilt ones for $69 apiece with a core return. That's way better than the $159 new from the dealership AFTER my discount from work. Newly rebuilt injectors should be in thursday but until then I guess I ride my unicycle.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Parts are in early so I'll have the machine running tonight after work!!! I'm still wondering if it's even possible to pull the lower intake out of the truck without too much effort? I had it unbolted completely the other day and it wouldn't come out because all the wiring is threaded through it. Seems dumb to me but what do I know, right?
Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM

New injectors are in and running. I now have a surging idle. It happened once before then stopped after I checked all my vacuum hoses for how well they were on. this time I figured it was simply the idle needed set. It was partially but now after a couple days its doing it only once in a while. Sometimes its when I have the brake applied and I know that's associated with the one hose coming from the ?power booster?. I think that's where it comes from. But it also does it sometimes when I am in neutral on flat ground with no brakes applied. So I guess I need to check thoroughly for vacuum leaks. Any tricks?

Another thing is that sensor I broke. The cold start injector sensor or something like that. My grandpa was able to solder it with some wire and it's kinda sketchy but I think it's working since I haven't had any starting problems. I don't think that causes a surging idle but I want your guys' opinions. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Hey checking in. How's the truck doing.
Ever figure out the surging idle?