86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

92 4Runner build up and rookie restore.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If this falls through I'll go after at least a 30 gallon. They are not cheap unfortunately. You find any good deals online, let me know.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sears craftsman makes a good one, I got two one 30 and I think 60 ( 120 psi)
Nice work so far...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 AM

I didn't think of sears. We have a mail order warehouse for them way up here too. Good tip I'll look them up. Does your 30 run air tools well and can you paint? Or should I be aiming to get a 60?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
yeah i was thinking of getting the 33 from sears. the professional series seem a bit out there for me. so im buying the biggest basic series they have.... they say it can run everything fine except for high speed options. ( sander, paint sprayer, and cutters )
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM

I saw a 60 for not much more, perhaps I could run an extension cord from my oven.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Me and my buddy finished the regearing project. He tapped my diff breather holes for me and we did our own diff breathers with a small fuel line as the hosing.

Going camping for a bit but the next project is LSPV bracket lift and panhard drop bracket. I also need to fix my rear brakes. His vehicle is the next focus for a bit though since mine has been such a pain.

Got my stock skid plate sandblasted and painted yellow. Not sure I'll keep that colour though.

I've also eliminated my ADD system by swapping out the 89 4Runner axle tube and axle from our parts truck. Really happy with doing that job. That alone paid for my half of the cost of the parts rig.

I did have to get a new CV though, not an OEM one so I hope it holds. There definitely appears to be a left and right CV in these things.

Now to enjoy it a few days before taking off back to work.

That last one is my buddy, hero of the hour. He really made all this possible.

Cheers Colton!

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-05-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 PM

Looks real good, keep up the work!
Following this thread
Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Thanks man its been fun.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:27 AM

You are a couple steps ahead of me. My build is heading in a very similar direction so ill be watching this closely.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM

I've just paid for my bumper, sliders and a smitty bilt winch from addicted offroad. Can't wait for those.

Looks like I have an axle seal leak or my rear brake cylinder. Neither oil has drained enough that I can tell which one though.

Diff is still full and so is my brake fluid resiviour. Good thing I have a lot of gear oil and a spare bottle of brake fluid with me. I'm off camping right now and am in Ft Smith northern Canada. 800km from Yellowknife.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Just got home from the test trip. I think it's definitely my brake cylinder that is leaking. I'll swap that out when I get back from the mine.

One thing I noticed with the bigger tyres is the terrible highway handling now. The front end feels "loose" big time. I am not exactly sure what to do to fix that but imagine new idler arms, rod ends and a steering dampener will be a good start.

I wasn't sure about the yellow skid plate but I think it grew on me.

The following photos are from my camping trip and show the whole reason we get into this hobby, playing outside.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:59 AM

Hows that locker and gearing working out for you? Im looking into getting the 5.29 gearing when I bump up to 35"s.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Fantastic actually. I bought it with 33"s already on and it was gutless. Could not pass anyone at highway speed and it was sluggish off the line.

My power is back, my spedo is accurate and I can pass trucks!

The locker is weird. Great offroad but makes noise for daily driving. It clicks gently sometimes but often in a corner it lets out an almighty crack which I've gotten used to but it sure turns heads.

From what I understand it's pretty normal though to behave like that so I'm not too worried. One thing for sure is that I would NEVER want a lunchbox locker up front in Canada. I can see that getting me in a serious accident come winter.

I give them both a big thumbs up as well as East Coast Gear Supply where I bought them from. Super helpful and helped me save some money by partially waving the core charge considering I live so far North in a remote area where shipping anything costs a small fortune.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-22-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM

Next phase of build ordered. Minor stuff really.

Old Man Emu steering stabilizer and FA540 Idler arm and bronze bushings from 4Crawler to tighten up my steering. Hopefully that will do the trick as the missus is reaching the end of letting me have a free run on my build.

Something to the effect of I don't want to f'ing talk about how much you've spent or I'll get really pissed off........

Looks like I'll have to do overtime for any more parts for awhile. I think seeing as I work at a diamond mine it might be a good time to get the employee discount and buy her one as a surprise to smooth things over.

Also on a positive note. Called Addicted Offroad and my other toys are on the way. Frame reinforcement, front bumper with pointed stinger and a Smittybilt XRC 8 Comp-Series Winch.

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/57.htm

Anyone have one of these? I hope they are good, any ideas?

After this some body work and black bedliner for the lower half. Don't want her rusting away after all this effort eh!

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-22-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 AM

[QUOTE=CDN-SMOKEJUMPER;51934677]Fantastic actually. I bought it with 33"s already on and it was gutless. Could not pass anyone at highway speed and it was sluggish off the line. [QUOTE]

Since I got my bj spacers in and am running these 33's my 3.0 doesnt feel so slow. I can tell my trans is a ˟˟˟˟box which inhibits alot of the power distribution. I cant pass anyone at cruising speed either without downshifting.

[QUOTE=CDN-SMOKEJUMPER;51934677] One thing for sure is that I would NEVER want a lunchbox locker up front in Canada. I can see that getting me in a serious accident come winter.
[QUOTE]

I decided against a locker since we have some crazy mountain winters around here and wouldnt be safe.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:52 AM

What do you think is wrong with your transmission?

I have a spare along with a transfer case I'd like to rebuild. Most likely a winter project after I build a work bench. Not sure on doing dual transfer cases though due to the additional cost. Perhaps the lower gear ratio that you can throw in but that's all up in the air really.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 06-23-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice camping/offroading pics! I can't wait to take.mine out camping! Look forward to seeing some more.pics when you get your bumper and winch mounted, that should look sweet!!!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:50 AM

The camping bit is how I've been able to get away with so much with the fiance. She loves that part so it gives me a bit of justification.

I look forward to the roof rack and roof top tent that I've got in the works. She wants those as well otherwise as I said a few posts above she's about ready to snap.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear you on that, I think my wife has about had it with my 4runner build, (not so much the money, as most of the funds have come from parting out my donor 85' pickup) but more about the amount of time I invest in it that's not spent with her, lol. I think the payoff will be when we finally put it to use and take it on trips like you have. You got a cool build going, I look forward to see what you come up with for the roof rack and roof top tent!
Old 06-23-2012, 02:10 PM

Thanks buddy. Been going at it pretty blind due to complete lack of knowledge. My friend and this website has taught me everything.

One thing that the missus does like is me in the garage much more than on the computer playing video games. Something about it being a man hobby instead of a boy hobby. Personally i just think she wants me to work all the time.

Thankfully with a two week on two weeks off work roster I can tinker when she is at work herself. We can still hang out when she wants this way.

Quick Reply: 92 4Runner build up and rookie restore.