84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Volcom's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3/5/07
My dad came over while I was at work and finished up the steering box and frame mount. He also put the freshly painted rear axle back under the truck and install new rear brake shoes and wheel cylinders. He also put on the 33" TSL's and 2.5" backspaced wheels I am going to run until I can afford new tires. This rear axle is 58" wide WMS to WMS. I'll have to measure the outside of the tire to the outside of the other tire.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM

3/6/07

The aussies are in Pueblo getting delivered today along with my brake proportioning valve.

Whooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo. Looks like all my parts are finally here.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Saturday 3/11/07

Super BIG thanks to Allan for coming over and helping me out with some welding and getting my motor mounts chained down to the frame! Allan's welding skills are incredible and he saved my dad and I a ton of time!

We got the truck fulled welded up. The front spring hanger, IFS steering box mount, shock hoops and braces, motor mount chains, rear spring hangers, rear shackle hangers, and rear shock hoop.

The tall shock hoops were a PITA to get installed. I hope they are worth it.

Allan's welds

Rear shock mount with multiple holes for adjustment

Last edited by Volcom; 01-13-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:35 PM

3/12/07

Here is Aaron below his junk holding the nut for his shackle bolt while Blake drives it home with the electric impact driver.

Below, Aaron, Terry and Blake are planning some stuff.

Terry tutoring and observing Joe greasing and assembling the Aussie Locker. Yes, the Aussies are here!!!

The Aussie and new 5.29 gears are now installed! Right on.

Pattern observed and approved. Pinion bearing preload dialed in. This diff is ready to install.

Aaron is applying the final touch to the differential before being installed in the axle housing.

Another view of Aaron's rig's backend.

Well, it was a good Rock Frogs mini-wrenchfest. Terry and misc were able to get both differentials installed with Aussie Lockers and new gears. All things considered, the gear installs went rather smoothly and Terry never had to threaten anyone.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM

3/11/07

Once again, BIG Thanks to Terry and Jim for making the trek down south. After 9 hours of work, Terry and company produced two Toyota 3rd members geared at 5.29's. Big thanks to Joe and Blake for helping out also.

We got the rear axle back under it, front diff was installed, and I installed Longfields. I basically had the front end almost done minus the driver front hub and wheel bearings. I almost met my goal of having a roller by the end of the weekend.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM

3/12/07

My dad worked on it all day. He got the rear 3rd installed, rear axle shafts installed, rear brake line installed, and most of the E-brake setup.

He also got the front driver hub together and on the truck. He had it in roller status when I got home from work. We started to work on the driver side front brake caliper and just my luck, knuckle is striped where brake caliper mounts to knuckle. So we hunt around for parts they still didn't work.

The wheelbase right now is 109 inches, 6 inches longer than stock. I was shooting for 107 but I'll take the 109 anyday

We called it a night. But during the day, I had been searching Marlin Crawler's website and a guy from Cali was having trouble with his dual case adapter popping out of gear. It dawned on me, and later in the night, I went out and tried to shift the cases around and the rear case is popping out of gear. DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like Terry said, the little things are going to make or break me going to Moab.

I am glad that I caught the problem now rather than next week when it would have been too late to do anything about it.

Here's what it looked like today!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

3/13/07

Just got a call from my dad, t-case's are out. It took him about an hour.

EDIT - Sure enough, the front t-case shift rod makes contact with the rear case driver's side shift rod and pops it out of gear. The cases had to come out for sure or they wouldn't have worked correctly.

I hate to say it but I'm glad that guy had trouble with his, he would never have posted that thread about this trouble, I would have never came home and shifted through the gears, and probably wouldn't have found out I had a problem until too late. Deep thoughts man, deep thoughts
Old 01-13-2009, 07:38 PM

3/15/07

I stayed up late last night working on the truck. I got the whole frontend painted, axle, spring hanger, inside of frame, shock hoops, inner fenders, most of the grill area.

I also got the radiator installed but was missing a hose clamp so I couldn't fill up the engine with coolant. I also got the locking hubs installed so the front axle is completely done! I also got the front brake calipers loaded and installed.

My dad is going to work on installing the master brake cylinder and clutch master cylinder. He is also going to try and get the radiator finished up. We have to modify the stock power steering reservoir to fit since the inner fender had to be cut for the tall shock hoops. Once that is done, the power steering system can be bled.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 PM

that thing is sick, nice work
Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 PM

Saturday 3/17/07

This is the way or break weekend to see if I even had a shot at getting to Moab on the 23rd.

Big thanks to my brother and bro-in-law for the help! We got the brakes bled, clutch bled, power steering system bled, and coolant in the truck.

EROCK made a square front driveshaft, he's getting good at fab'ing them.

This is how she sat Saturday morning.

My brother made me a sweet square front shaft. There is a total of 16" of slip.

Front shocks are in. Bilsteins are hard to install since they are gas pressurized.

We had to redrill the flange off of the back of the rear t-case to accept the larger bolt pattern of the CV'ed rear shaft.

In the process of impacting the flange nut off, the speedo gear slipped on the rear main shaft of the t-case. It sliped pass the detent ball and then somehow rotated 1/20 of a turn. When I went to install the flange after being drilled, it didn't fit. I tried everything and even put the flange on and got a large socket and tried to tighten it on.

Well, I had to take a small cover off of the rear of the t-case and see what was up. Sure enough, the speedo gear was turned and not lined up with the detent ball and was jammed on it. I pryed and pryed. It ended up taking my dad to pound it off the next day.

Rear brake proportioning valve is on!

Engine bay back together!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Sunday 3/18/07

Thanks to my dad and brother for the huge help this weekend! I wouldn't have made the Moab trip without them.

We were still jacking around with the t-case trying to get that speedo gear unstuck. I buttoned the t-case back up, and installed the rear driveline. Went to install the front and the 4wheel drive flange on the rear t-case is wrong :mad: It's setup for a CV and I was bolting a regular yoke to it. I ended up having to take that flange off and switch it with an extra one I had lying around.

We filled all the diff's, t-cases, and installed the front d-shaft.

The moment of truth!!!

Backing it out of the garage for the first time in months!

My dad backing it up a dirt pile next to my house!

Flexing it out and measuring for front bumpstops.

How it sits after the full day of work

I got the stock roll bar installed.

First impressons of the double low. Holy #$!#$%, it's slow. The dang thing just crept up the dirt pipe with the clutch out in idle!!!!

It's the first time I've ever really driven a locked truck, it's soooooooo badass.

We made some adjustable bumpstops for the front, big thanks to my brother and dad for them, they worked on them all day.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM

3/19/07

Rear main STILL LEAKS OIL. My dad thinks the rear crankshaft was ground down too much during the rebuild from the machine shop.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 PM

MADE IT TO MOAB

Old 01-13-2009, 07:49 PM

6/10/07

Still getting major death wobble. I drove it for the first time in a month for a quick trip to the store. Holy smokes, every bump in the road made it DW. Tightening down the front shackles helps but it seems like every run, it gets loose again. I was poking around looking at the front shackles, and noticed that the upper shackle bushings are already starting to wear out and rub the outer lip off. Looks like it will be a yearly thing to replace those bushings.

I changed the diff fluid in both ends and the tranny fluid. The front and rear diffs still had the orginal oil from when I first put the gears in. I did get some small metal chunks in the oil.

I replaced the tranny lube with some Redline MT90 to help the tranny not feel so notchy.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 PM

7/3/07

Note to self, make sure steering arm bolts that hold the cone washers on the steering studs are tight. On one side, three were finger loose and two were finger loose on the other. I tightened them down and took it for a drive, much much better. Just a hint of bump steer that barely starts DW if the right bump is hit at the right speed. The stabilizer should take care of that.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

October 2007 - Hydro Assist install

My setup
PSC Hydro Assist steering ram, 1.5" x 6".

Trail Gear Hydro assist hoses, heim joints, axle housing bracket, and 1/4 NPT to #6 JIC adapters

Hayden power steering cooler.

I will make a tie rod bracket from a piece of pipe I got from the scrap yard for $0.50 and some extra brackets and scrap around my garage.

Front shot, ram is hidden away behind the tie rod

Closeup the the bracket I fab'ed. The two rings on the outside hold the center pinch clamp. I kinda got crazy with the tack welds and burnt through one of the outer rings (nice bugger weld)

Backside of bracket, I got this piece from Trail Gear.

The other bracket from TG welded on the top of the housing.

Hayden 401 Tranny cooler, works perfect for hydro assist.

Couldn't have tapped that in a better spot! I was worried the fitting wasn't going to clear but it did!

Side shot of the ram.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM

January 29th, 2008

39.5" Iroks

I found a spare tire for my Honda :razz: :razz: :razz: It couldn't have fit any better.

Height comparison vs. my old tires. My old 33" tires only have 10-12 psi in them and are 31" tall when inflated @ 20psi. Definally a step up in tire size

Side by side

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: It's like I'm on low-rider tires compared to these 40" Iroks

I jacked up the front end to where the big tire would probably sit. Definally gaining some ground clearance!!

Another look

Gaining about 4" on the top and 4" on the bottom

The two more worn tires are OK. They are about 50% worn. The one I've got in the garage has two small sidewall chunks missing. I'm thinking I might try to buy some tire patches and just patch them before installing them on wheels. I don't think it will be an issue but I won't want to take any chances.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM

February 16, 2008

Went out today and borrowed a forklift to try and figure out how much trimming it's going to take to fit the 40's

Picking up the rear to flex out the front springs. We were able to pick up the left rear tire 31" before the right rear would lift off of the ground. Not bad for a leaf sprung truck!

There was only 2" of clearance between the pinch seam and the tire. I will need about 5 more inches of clearance for the larger tires. I plan on lowering the bumpstop and maybe moving the axle forward an inch by drilling the spring perches and U-bolt plates.

I took the rear gate off to make it easier to work on the truck. I also have an extra tailgate thanks to Terry to replace my BV dented one

Hard rubbing on the passenger rear tire. I will need 5" of clearance back here also. I will probably trim between the two lines on the quarter panel.

Flex shot, pretty stable even at that angle.

Nice forklift and the big tire to try and fit

Picking up the front to flex the rear springs. I was able to lift the front tire 27" before picking up the passenger side tire.

Say goodbye to the front fenders

Passenger side rear. I'm planning on following the outline of the fender at the top of the cut.

Not bad flex!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM

February 22, 2008 - Point of no turning back

I only had about 20 minutes to work on it tonight before dinner. This project is going to be an adventure for sure.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Feb 23, 2008

I got more done today!!! I've got a BIG hole to cover up now

After cutting out the majority of the wheelwell and inner tub. I still have some trimming in the rear

Pretty big hole to cover back up

Side view with truck jacked up and big tire somehwat lined up with current rim.

After triming out the rear portion and rolling the fender lip 90 degrees inword. The lip rolled nicely and should leave a nice place to spot weld the new wheelwell.

Inner shot of the complete cut.

You can see the lip rolled better in this picture.

After shot of what I got done today.

Quick Reply: Volcom's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread