84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

SqWADoosh's 1985 Runner Build

Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that POR-15 is great stuff but yes very expensive. Take a look at Eastwood industries stuff. They make all the same type of rust encapsulator, prevention, sealant, etc... as every one else. But with way better prices.

Plus you can pickup some of their rust encapsulator in an aerosol can, which can make life way easier sometimes.

As far as prep goes, I have always tried to get as much rust/scale off as I can before I apply anything. Because as others have stated, Prep is very very important when it comes to stuff like this. Otherwise it will just rust through again in a few years.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by SqWADoosh
Yeah I have mine setup that way too. When you say it is a complete length header does that mean that there is no downpipe? It is all a part of the header? I also am reading that I have to lift the engine to install it?
Complete length of Full length. Rather than a Shorty header. Goes all the way under the cab to where the CAT would be.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have found this one right away however it is claiming that it universally works for either 2wd/4wd???

Doug Thorley Headers thy-542y-o-c Exhaust Header for Toyota Truck 4Runner 22RE : Amazon.com : Automotive Doug Thorley Headers thy-542y-o-c Exhaust Header for Toyota Truck 4Runner 22RE : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://bit.ly/NCb84s
Here's the one I have
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 AM

Oh by the way. Mines been a direct bolt on job. I've never had to move the engine. Or loosen and anything else.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
http://bit.ly/NCb84s
Here's the one I have
It would appear that one is only compatible with pickups and not 4Runners. Maybe I will give them a call today and see which one I should be putting on my Runner. They have like a dozen different ones and a lot of them are claiming to be compatible with my Runner but I don't understand why they would have so many different types if they are all so cross compatible. You'll see here what I'm talking about :

http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/pr...D2/40/sfID3/39

Oh by the way. Mines been a direct bolt on job. I've never had to move the engine. Or loosen and anything else.
Thats good news. I thought that sounded like bull˟˟˟˟.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:05 AM

About to pull the trigger on this one from summit. They have it right there that it is compatible with my rig. Looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Free shipping and its from a reputable company that I can return it to if I have any issues. Its the same model as the one I listed above.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt.../model/4runner

Now onto the next issue, my CAT. It is a rusted POS that is likely the cause of my current problems. I was initially set on getting a test pipe from LCE when I ordered their header and getting it all at the same time. I am not required to test for emissions any longer so a CAT is not necessary and I figured I could get more power by replacing it with a test pipe. Is the LCE pipe a good choice or is there a better alternative? This is the one I'm referring to BTW:

http://www.lceperformance.com/Test-P...-p/1043050.htm
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 AM

About to pull the trigger on this one from summit. They have it right there that it is compatible with my rig. Looks like exactly what I'm looking for. Free shipping and its from a reputable company that I can return it to if I have any issues. Its the same model as the one I listed above.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dt.../model/4runner

Now onto the next issue, my CAT. It is a rusted POS that is likely the cause of my current problems. I was initially set on getting a test pipe from LCE when I ordered their header and getting it all at the same time. I am not required to test for emissions any longer so a CAT is not necessary and I figured I could get more power by replacing it with a test pipe. Is the LCE pipe a good choice or is there a better alternative? This is the one I'm referring to BTW:

http://www.lceperformance.com/Test-P...-p/1043050.htm
That test pipe would probably be fine. However, I took my CAT out and put a test pipe in, and experienced alot of backfiring on deceleration. It actually seemed to run better the CAT in place. Im guessing the 22re needs the back pressure. I have also heard the same thing from others.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
That test pipe would probably be fine. However, I took my CAT out and put a test pipe in, and experienced alot of backfiring on deceleration. It actually seemed to run better the CAT in place. Im guessing the 22re needs the back pressure. I have also heard the same thing from others.
Interesting. I suppose I could just go with a high flow cat instead. Magnaflow is probably my best bet in that department right?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:30 AM

Interesting. I suppose I could just go with a high flow cat instead. Magnaflow is probably my best bet in that department right?
I guess you could go with the High Flow, I just used a stock Cat with mine. I guess that I figured I wouldnt see that much of a return in the power dept from a high flow cat.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
I guess you could go with the High Flow, I just used a stock Cat with mine. I guess that I figured I wouldnt see that much of a return in the power dept from a high flow cat.
Well I'm also trying to get a nice sound note as well.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 AM

I'd agree on the purchase from summit. At least returning of sealing out will be easy to do lol
Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 AM

I'd agree on the purchase from summit. At least returning of sealing out will be easy to do lol
So I'm guessing that these headers are going to come with everything I need? Was that the case for you?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM

From eBay they included gaskets and all hardware. I'd ask summit tho
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 AM

From eBay they included gaskets and all hardware. I'd ask summit tho
K, will do. Now when I was looking at the LCE headers they talked "Header Air Injection Block Off Plates" what are they talking about with that? Is that for CA trucks? They were charging an extra 15 bucks for it. The Thorley's don't say anything about those.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Well I'm also trying to get a nice sound note as well.
I understand. I have the CAT on mine and also installed a , Copy of, Flowmaster style muffler. It still has a nice tone to it that does not sound like a ricer.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
K, will do. Now when I was looking at the LCE headers they talked "Header Air Injection Block Off Plates" what are they talking about with that? Is that for CA trucks? They were charging an extra 15 bucks for it. The Thorley's don't say anything about those.
Nice looking 4runner! Sounds like you have some big plans for it! The air injection block off plates would be for the smog the small diameter tubes that bolted to your stock exhaust manifold( if you still have it in place, most cases in our state theyve been removed already). Here's a link to what it looks like, I'm in the process of de-smogging my 22r in my 83'. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197...28/index2.html

Last edited by rustED; 02-12-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice looking 4runner! Sounds like you have some big plans for it! The air injection block off plates would be for the smog ( if you still have it in place, most cases in our state th
The last half of your message got cut off. I really want to know what you were going to say lol.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, think I fixed the message, my keyboard on my tablet keeps messing with me, lol
Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I had doug Thorley headers on a 3vz and they were extremely good quality. I made the mistake of swapping the studs out for bolts. ( big no no ) and it eventually formed a leak. but other than that, they were great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SqWADoosh's 1985 Runner Build