84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

the lazy mans 1985 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the lazy mans 1985 4runner

Finally starting my rebuild, I bought a 1985.5 4runner in 2010 and have been using it as a daily driver. I always had a little bit of money or a little bit of time but never at the same time. I recently had my head gasket blow after neglecting a leaky water pump, which lead to an over heat which then lead to the head gasket. So since its been stolen and recovered I guess there is no better time then now to start at it step by step. Luckily for me the head gasket blew out and not in. there is no signs of coolant getting into the oil, but as a precautionary then engine rebuild is the first thing to be done on my checklist.

As you can see she isnt really abused I bought her as a project truck, the body is straight and she comes witht the stock 22re and solid axel combo. She has a bout 3 layers of paint, the paint is chipping in places but still decent for what is to come. the hood is warped and of a different color, came with original purchase as a spare, the original hood flung open on me on the highway. It snapped at the latch hook (drivers side seat now has hole in the middle). Anyways I am starting this build up thread to monitor my build from start to finish.

... soon to come: Checklist of modifications, and pictures of engine pull and rebuild.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great looking runner you have. Glad to hear you got it back from it being stolen. Looking forward to your build and Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to YT. Lots of great people around here. That's a clean looking runner you have there. Also glad to hear that you actually got it back from being stolen. Most of the time that is not the case. Looking forward to your build.

Do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the engine build. I have a lot of pictures from my engine build in my 4Runner build thread.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:07 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Awesome that you got it back after being stolen!
Old 03-02-2015, 11:33 AM

Thanks Gents,
Well some of the things I will be doing will be to prevent it from being stolen again. i.e. a removable steering wheel with column lock. Any ways I will be coming up with a checklist like one of the threads I have been following like: SqWADoosh's 1985 Runner Build. So I have been engaged on YT for years but I have only been doing research and using the forum to do some tinkering here and there to keep my toys alive. Finally, I have my build up starting. I named my post the "lazy mans 1985 4runner" Because at times it will seem as if I am not making any progress. But I will do my best to keep it up to date, It aint easy being a full time student, full time parent, and a part time employee. Any ways, I will be hitting people up during this build for some guidance. as stated before my Engine is where I am starting. I have already pulled it from the truck with the help of a friend whom wants to learn a little bit. Pic's soon to come.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
Lazy? Check MY build thread. A things have REALLY slowed since we bought a Tacoma.

You Runner looks great. When they stole your truck did they break in the steering column or use a key?
Old 03-03-2015, 03:05 PM

As promised I have MANY pictures of the engine. please excuse some of my parts labeling as I do not know the name of all the vacuum and electrical components...

Hopefully I took enough... Lol. I still have more on my computer if anyone needs a picture of a certain area of the engine. I figured it was better to have numerous angles and zooms to help with putting it back together.

Side note. I have Ziplock bags for every individual part that i took of. I also tagged and labeled every vacuum hose and electrical plug just to be safe. Thank you world for ziplock and masking tape.

Last edited by mudwarrior88; 03-03-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:09 PM

Thumbs up

Also here is a wish list of the different projects I would like to accomplish with my build just to help me keep track of the build. They do not have to come in order but I would like to at least get some of these things done.

1985 Yota 4runner to do list:

1. Rebuild engine (kind of done, I put in a new engine but still need to rebuild the original)
2. Replace clutch with MC 1600 HD
3. Rebuild front axle (allprooffroad kit)
4. Get truck dirty
5. Repair or replace center console
6. Rip out carpet
7. Do a RUF lift
8. Get truck dirty
9. Replace tires (35 MT’s Brand Unknown)
10. Get truck dirty
11. Replace steering components with high steer kit (brand unknown)
12. Get truck dirty
13. Replace bumper w/ Addicted offroad bumper with point stinger
14. Get truck dirty
15. Get a winch (brand unknown)
16. Get truck dirty
17. Install onboard air system
18. Replace mech locker in rear w/ ARB air locker
19. Get truck dirty
20. Install ARB air locker in front diff
21. Get truck dirty
22. Install a CB radio for wheeling communication
23. Replace steering wheel w/ grant QD and lock steering wheel.
24. Install dual battery setup
25. build up rear bumper to have tire carrier, and gas and jack mount.
26. Replace Master and Slave cylinder for clutch.

Note this is a wish list, If for the grace of god I were to win the lotto these are some of the things I would do. Some more then others...

Last edited by mudwarrior88; 09-03-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:44 PM

Talking

Just realized not all the pictures I choose got posted... here are more...

Well, she is empty now.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:16 PM

That's in great shape, hope you get it together soon.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:59 PM

[QUOTE="Nervo19;52258467"]Lazy? Check MY build thread. A things have REALLY slowed since we bought a Tacoma.

You Runner looks great. When they stole your truck did they break in the steering column or use a key.

I think they used a screwdriver. It was all busted up.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:17 AM

so i finally got some time to get to wrenching again. the engine is almost all the way apart. I have to find out which shop I will be taking it to in order to have is decked, honed ( possibly oversized) and have all the important stuff inspected and polished. but here are some pics of the break down.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:27 AM

as you can see i had a bit of a leak from my exhaust.

right here is where I had steam shooting out of the head gasket.

I had a leak from my rear half moon seal which was the only major oil leak that I found.

as you can see the cylinders where a little fouled up with carbon.

a closer look at where the head gasket was leaking.

I sucks that i had to pull the whole engine and do the rebuild now but as you can see. My poor babies heart was leaking in a few places and I will be happy to get her all sealed up. and beating strong.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Rebuilding your motor will give you so much peace of mind.

My build thread just hit pause for like two years.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:00 PM

I've rebuilt both my 85 4runners 22re. Both times when I was done I wished I'd just done a 2/3rz swap.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:21 AM

Sorry folks for not giving any updates for awhile. Due to a short time line I ended up buying a rebuilt engine from Sunwest automotive engines. The engine is bored over 0.020 and came with an RV cam, and a new cast cylinder head. I kept my core in order to build up a parts list with hopes of rebuilding ot and putting it back in the 4runner.

Rick I was looking into doing a swap, but I lacked the funds. Possibly in a future rig I will do an engine upgrade. As for the 85 I would like to keep it as simple as possible.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:44 AM

For further clarification, I did the Swap last year. Wow, I haven't been on here that long except to read up on some minor maintenance, and different upgrade options. Also this passed weekend, I took on the task of rebuilding the knuckles due to a leak on the passengers side grease seals. Here are some of the pictures of the tear off and some of the piecing back together. I was going to take more pictures to make it easier to follow.

this is after i removed about a half inch of grease off of the bottom part of the felt wiper. Amazingly there was still a $#it ton of grease still protecting the bearings and knuckle from too much damage. I did however change out the brass spindle bearing. It was evident that the axle had worn a spot on it.

This was the drivers side before the rebuild. It had a little bit of grease coming out but no where as near as the passengers side knuckle had.

At this point I had already gotten the passengers side knuckle all the way off and I brought the drivers side down to the spindle. I ended up zip tying some ziplock bags over the ends to keep water if any from getting into the axle.

Here is my passengers side caliper that I later realized had both pistons on the outer side seized up. which meant an unexpected drive to that parts store to get new calipers. which ended up being a whole de-boggle on its own.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:06 AM

Now the whole front end is all built up with no leaks. I learned from this experience that the previous owner had done the FJ 60 vented rotor upgrade with the larger v6 Toyota pickup calipers and 1" master brake cylinder from the same generation of pickups. I also was reminded to look over the components before leaving the parts store. they gave me two of the same caliper due to a mis-box and at first I thought I was bleeding the breaks wrong. Until I realized the brake bleeder was not in the right place as it was at the bottom of the caliper and was not letting the air that stayed at the top of the caliper out when I was bleeding the system. So I learned the hard way, something I learned many years ago when I first became a Hydraulic Smith that air is lighter then hydraulic fluid.