84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Hitsua's 1985 Toyota 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been a while since I have done any major work on the truck. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter last week, and that is about it. I did however give my truck a makeover

Hitsua's 1985 Toyota 4runner-0rnm6ms.jpg
Old 05-22-2016, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys long time no post. I have done a lot of work since 7-26-2014, sadly I did not take a ton of pictures. Short list here:
  • Replaced clutch, throwout and pilot bearing, and starter since it was off anyways
  • Replaced passenger door, it had been damaged by slipping sideways off a rock into a tree, had to strip the decals and convert the winged window into a normal window (actually pretty easy)
  • In the process, I also replaced both window regulators for about $30 each. If you are having any trouble with your windows I would highly recommend doing it, it's such an easy job it takes 30 minutes max.
  • Got Bilstein 4600 Series shocks on all 4s
  • Got an Old Man Emu steering stabilizer
  • Replaced my crankshaft pulling because I thought it slipped, my timing was reading 38 degrees, turns out my TPS was out of adjustment
  • Did the intake/battery swap, mostly because my battery tray area is mostly broken and can't handle the weight, so I bought a Trail Gear Optima holder and threw it where the original airbox went.
  • Valve cover gasket due to some small leakage
  • Replaced power steering pulley idler, old one was taken off on a temporary basis because it was causing the pulley assembly to overheat, and then I lost a critical piece so I ended up going to Pick N Pull and found one that worked off like a 1987 Mazda Pickup.
  • New dedicated marine grade water-proof 400 watt amp for my normal speakers
  • Most recently I installed some decals and redid my paint, here is a few of the pictures that I DO have

Took the top off while painting, way easier than taping off the top

Here is my currently desired layout I made in MS Paint for how I want to build out the rear panels. I want to get sound proofing mat and re-carpet it, seeing as how it just has some cheap bed liner in a can now.

Very similar to stock panels, except the two back openings would have locking hatches, and instead of having my slightly too small 1200 watt sub box, I would build a custom one that reached all the way across the rear seat, and made it removable. I would also relocate the amp into this box because currently it's under my front seat and that area gets really wet.

I actually had to mod out my sub amp, because I broke off one of the potentiometers, which sucks because it was the knob for gain. I was unable to reattach it, and rather than buy a new one I decided to make a quick hack job out of it. I used an ohm meter and calculated the minimum to maximum resistance, and then threw in 10k ohm resistor (that was near the least resistance so max gain, always)

Random 5 junction fuse block. I think it's like 70 amps max draw or something. Just a cheap project using ˟˟˟˟ I had laying around, mounted near my power steering reservoir now

Picture of the girlfriend helping get the top nut on the starter when were all done with the clutch, and yes she helped a ton getting it out. Also, her ass looks great in yoga pants so here you go

Need to clean this area up a bit, probably going to remove the scanner and just throw in the original coin tray. The voltmeter was awesome though, $5 shipped on Amazon, just have it wired into some random switched 12v source. It's great for knowing why your car won't start...like oh I only have 6 volts, time to bump start! For those who are interested, my voltmeter reads from 13.5v-14.3v almost every drive. It's only at 12.5v when on but not turned over yet.

Anyways that's all I've got for now. Since my last post I've also accepted a new job, I am now the Senior Systems Administrator at Stevens Pass resort in Washington. It's about 1.5-2 hours away from Seattle. There are a lot more Toyota parts around here than there ever was in California.

If anyone is in the area (anywhere on or near US2 basically) I am thinking about selling a top shift t-case (works with like every year of t-case), gear driven, unknown milage but I think the truck it was pulled from had over 200k. Oh yeah and the transfer case comes with the stock rubber mount and it's in great condition.

I also have a complete front and rear driveshaft to match. The final item I am looking to get rid of is a stock 4.10 8" differential with a Locrite locker installed. I don't know the exacty milage on this or have any paper work but I think it has under 5000 miles on it, and at the very least the ring gear looks really solid so nothing bad has happened.

If you are interested in any of those items and live within 2 hours of Sultan, Washington (or will personally drive farther) make me an offer here or in messages. Don't really have a firm price set on any of the items, I was going to use it all for a dual setup but decided to not build my 4runner into a crawler, rather a really nice DD. Open to trades if it makes sense (looking for either a Trail Gear front or rear bumper, a set of sliders or even willing to trade you your time to weld them on for me, or some random body work).

Anywho thanks for reading all! Good to be back on here, I never stopped working on it I just fell out of the community for a while, been on Toyotaholics a lot on Facebook and finally got sick of all the crap that gets posted there, which is a shame because there is a lot of really valuable information there.